Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 10:22 PM   #1

Anybody towed a big 5er across Yosemite

I'm almost to California so I guess I should give some thought to what I'm gonna do when I get there. I've got a pretty good plan roughed in but I end up at the west gate of Yosemite when I'd like to be on the east side. So, can I tow across the top on route 120? Can I do it without needing a change of tightey whiteys when I get there? Thanks for the help.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 12:24 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First watch the classic movie,The Long, Long Trailer (1953)!

It just snowed today across the Tioga Pass, so make sure to take chains.

It's nowhere near as scary as it was in the 1953 movie, (just don't take any rocks)!

I have made the trip several times pulling a PopUp with an SUV, and in 35', 40', and 42' motorhomes, all pulling a toad. A 5th wheel shouldn't be a problem, depending on the torque in your TV.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #3

The road is fine...tourist drivers not so much.

Leave double your expected stopping distance as folks will suddenly stop in the middle of the road to look at some animal in the trees.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #4

OK, got it, be careful and check weather at the pass. I don't do chains or even snow or frost if I can avoid it. Grew up in mountains of PA with lots and lots of snow. Left in 1961. Went south and never went back. Last snow I was in was January 1988 in ATL. Thank you both very much for the reply.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow