Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2006, 05:41 AM   #1

NH (or new england states) to Florida?
I understand there are some tunnels that you can not drive through with propane tanks, is there anything else that will give us a problem, this will be our first out of state trip with the 5th wheel.

thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2006, 05:41 AM   #2

NH (or new england states) to Florida?
I understand there are some tunnels that you can not drive through with propane tanks, is there anything else that will give us a problem, this will be our first out of state trip with the 5th wheel.

thanks

Old 07-17-2006, 04:13 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Traffic, I95 traffic can be horrible.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Depending where in New England you are, if in Connecticut, find I-84 and take it west through a small segment of New York to Scranton Pa. Then get on I-81 South. From Scranton you will go via Harrisburg Pa, Hagerstown Md, then W. Va for a short bit and then Virginia. This will get you bypass all the junk and mess on I-95. Once in Va you have two options, 1 - take I-64 east to Richmond and then pick up I-95 south or 2 - continue on I-81 to just outside Knoxville Tn and get on I-40 east to I-26. I-26 will take you through South Carolina to I-95 south of Columbia. You will only have to worry about some construction in Northern Georgia on I-95. If you want to stop before going into Florida, get to exit one on I-95 and go to Country Oaks CG. Lonnie Gay is the owner and it is a great CG. When I lived in Florida that was were we went most of the time. If you stop tell Lonnie I said HI. Hope this info helps you some. I hated driving through the I-95 mess from the NC/VA border to Connecticut, took the inland route. More pleasing on the eyes. Have a safe trip.

Jim
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:49 AM   #5

I've forgotten the highway numbers but we traveled west and picked up I-81 to I-77 and went down the edge of the Shenandoah valley - beautiful drive. I-77 eventually meets with I-26 in S.C. which intersects with I-95.From there it is a relatively short drive to FL. There are no tunnels and other than one short stretch on I-77, there are no steep hills.
Have a safe trip,
Annie K and Sparky the long-haired chihuahua
Annie K and Sparky the long-haired chihuahua
03 Journey DL 36LD
04 Saturn L300W
Blue Ox and Brake Buddy
Old 07-17-2006, 02:11 PM   #6

If you dare venture down 95 through Washington DC make sure its before 6:00am or after 8:00pm. Otherwise plan to spend some time baking on the pavement in traffic. I heard that this past weekend they have opened supposable the new section of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and did the roadway alignment to start working on the old section. I don;t know all the details, just what my friend told me coming back up from FL last week. They had signs warning drivers to stay far and clear of DC this past weekend as they did the realigment of the roadway. The road was narrowed to one lane each way while they were doing this.

'04 Cedar Creek 362BBS
96PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:36 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Avoid I-95 around Washington DC if possible. When we visit out daughter in CT we use Tappan Zee bridge (ok with 5vr). Going South we use Garden State Parkway, New Jersey Turnpike to Wilmington, DE, then down the eastern shore (route 13) to Norfolk, Va. This avoids Washington, Richmond, and Hampton VA on I-95. Pick up I-64 to Suffolk, Va then hwy 58 to Emporia and pick-up I-95 south. I-95 in South Carolina is rough with expansion joints, just slow down until you can stand the bumps. But do fuel up in South Carolina it is one of the cheaper states for fuel.

This is the more eastern route and a lot shorter than I-81 which is lovely but has lots of trucks and is in the far western part of Va. You will travel more miles. Too be honest Bill usually drives the camper over the tall bridges, but since I have been over them so many times I am now used to them. The Garden State Parkway is annoying with all of the toll booths but thats just the way it is.

Nancy

ncason is offline   Reply With Quote