Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 05:36 PM   #1

App or GPS for North East?

I am getting nervous about my long trip next year. I will be traveling from Arizona up to New York, Boston, Portland ME, Washington DC and then back through Nashville, etc. I keep reading posts saying you can't drive on certain roads, or you have to really be aware of low bridges. I have a Garmin Nuvi now, but will be upgrading to a better one with the lane information and lifetime maps/traffic before my trip.

My questions are:
Where can I find the information on restrictions?
Do I have to go to every states transportation website?
Is there an app that has this information?
I know there is a Garmin with RV info, but I have also read it is not perfect, is there a specific one I should be looking at that will solve these problems?

This is the states I will be traveling through:
Don't need info on these -
Arizona
Nevada
Texas
Oklahoma
Kansas
Arkansas

Info needed on these -
Missouri
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
New York
Connecticut
Rhode Island
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Maine
Maryland
Virginia
Tennessee
Nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
App or GPS for North East?

Nuntadamn... A nice GPS is nice, but don't rely on it. "Trust but verify". Do your homework, and rely on yourself.

1) if you're on Interstates you know you're good to go.

2) if you're going off Interstate, be prepared to check the road.

3) Common sense works. If you're in a developed area with stores and restaurants and other businesses, how do you suppose all those businesses get their goods? In trucks. Big trucks. You're good to go.

If you want to wander down some country road, check it before you go. I use two methods: I check the AITA website (America's Independent Truckers Assn). www.aitaonline.com
Select "Information", then select "LowClearance / Restrictions". You can select a State, and they list any known bridge or underpass clearance 13ft 6in or less. Second, I go to the satellite view in Google Maps, and look at the road I want to drive. If I see some 18-wheelers I know I'll be ok; if not I check a little further.

In some states like VT, NH, ME-- there are good N-S Interstates, but not many big roads that go E-W. In those cases the US Highways are pretty reliable. Even though just two-lane, they are the truck routes, so while they may be curvy in places in the mountains, they will have good clearances and will in most cases be ok for a MH. If in doubt, ask a local. They'll know the roads.

Enjoy your trip!

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:59 PM   #3

As a broad generalization if you stay on the marked truck routes you will get ample warning if there is something coming up under 13' 6". I use a Magellan Roadmate from Camping World. Not my favorite but it works and I can set clearances. There are other good suggestions and probably more coming.

I would post the routes you are looking at here in couple hundred mile chunks at most if you are going to deviate. There are enough folks who watch the list that you will probably get feedback from a local or someone who has been there recently.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #4

Howdy!

I've been using Co-Pilot gps app on my table and smartphone for several years and it has never steered me wrong. It has a RV setting which alows your to set the height up to 13'.

CoPilot Premium for Android, Windows Phone, iPhone and iPad

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #5

NUNYDAMM I have a Garmin Nuvi 465t It is the truckers version. You can enter height, weight, length etc. So far it has never led me astray. It will also warn of curves and other potential issues.

Have used it all over the country East, West, North and South. You can also use it in a car mode if you want to use it in the toad.

Also I subscribe to the Regan policy "Trust but verify"

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
As a broad generalization if you stay on the marked truck routes you will get ample warning if there is something coming up under 13' 6". I use a Magellan Roadmate from Camping World. Not my favorite but it works and I can set clearances. There are other good suggestions and probably more coming.

I would post the routes you are looking at here in couple hundred mile chunks at most if you are going to deviate. There are enough folks who watch the list that you will probably get feedback from a local or someone who has been there recently.
I agree with Alynne; The Rand McNally truckers road atlas has highways that are safe for big rigs highlighted in yellow/orange. The atlas has a section in the front for double checking clearances, bridge weights, etc. for every state and Canada. Thirty years ago it was the only guidance for big rigs, and they arrived just as well as with todays GPS guidance.

An example, the state highway I live near is highlighted in yellow in the atlas, but my new Rand McNally 7730 RV GPS sounds a warning for one mile section of that highway, saying it is a dirt road?????
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:06 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Rand McNally allow me to enter weight and length. Plots routes accordingly and warns of obstructions/obstacles on alternate routes. I will still use my trucker's atlas to verify route. Over the years I have gotten pretty particular in my mountain passes so don't refer much to Mountains East/West anymore.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyadamn View Post
I am getting nervous about my long trip next year. I will be traveling from Arizona up to New York, Boston, Portland ME, Washington DC and then back through Nashville, etc. I keep reading posts saying you can't drive on certain roads, or you have to really be aware of low bridges. I have a Garmin Nuvi now, but will be upgrading to a better one with the lane information and lifetime maps/traffic before my trip.

My questions are:
Where can I find the information on restrictions?
Do I have to go to every states transportation website?
Is there an app that has this information?
I know there is a Garmin with RV info, but I have also read it is not perfect, is there a specific one I should be looking at that will solve these problems?

This is the states I will be traveling through:
Don't need info on these -
Arizona
Nevada
Texas
Oklahoma
Kansas
Arkansas

Info needed on these -
Missouri
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
New York
Connecticut
Rhode Island
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Maine
Maryland
Virginia
Tennessee
If your looking for the perfect GPS, dream on. No such animal. Been full-timing for ten years and Co-Pilot and Streets & Trips have both lead me into some really bad situations. As the disclaimers state, it is the operators responsibility.

When you get into the North East things are not easy for the bigger RV's. Many roads have been relocated and the older ones are often tight, rough or both. I am from New England. I remember when I-95 was built. It is still under construction in CT. . Avoid NYC. Take the Tappen Zee Bridge out of White Plains. And Boston is a must to avoid. Take I-495 North to get to NH or Mane. Week days there is no easy way for either. Coming the Mass Pike way from NY is a good way to go. In NE we often say: Yea caun't get thea from hea. aaya.

But, this is off the GPS topic. Pick the unit or app you want to trust and fine tune your route.

Happy trails,
Rick

Streets & Trips is a thing of the past. If you are going with a app try the Co-Pilot. I am continuing with my S&T as long as I can.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:21 AM   #9

FWIW thinking about your trip. Start in either DC or Boston. The one thing you want to avoid is multiple passes through the greater NYC metro. You are stuck with one because you want to do NYC.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:56 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
And remember that for the most part, there is very little RV-friendly ANYTHING within 30 or 40 miles of most larger east coast cities - from Boston south to about the VA/NC line. For example, the nearest RV park to Philly is at least 20 miles out of town, with little or no good public transport. If you want to tour Valley Forge or Gettysburg, you'll be fine. If you want to see the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, leave the RV at home. DC is a little better, with Cherry Hills park being very close to the metro line. But other than that, plan on either a toad, or a rental car, if you want to explore the down town areas of most of the megalopolis. And as far as heights to, just follow the big trucks. If they can get by, you can.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:14 AM   #11

FWIW When I looked there was on park in NJ not that far from Philadelphia. It put one on the closer side of the city to get to Independence Hall. I did it with a car an motel 20 years ago so I cannot say for sure but stuff like that does not move. ;-)

I totally agree on keeping out of the cities with a motor home as far as anything but expressways passing through. One has to be careful there as some parkways do not allow big vehicles and do not have adequate clearances. NYC is best done by public transit.

In general the longer an area has been settled the tighter the streets and harder to find parking. If there is a trolley tour system seriously consider it. Particularly in one can get on and off. It solves the parking while providing information.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

I've been using Co-Pilot gps app on my table and smartphone for several years and it has never steered me wrong. It has a RV setting which alows your to set the height up to 13'.

CoPilot Premium for Android, Windows Phone, iPhone and iPad

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Hi Chief I have CoPilot premium HD USA for the I Pad and Samsung tablet and can't find where to set the height, can you give me the info on where it is. I have checked every where I can see and failed to find. Thanks in advance.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:10 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW When I looked there was on park in NJ not that far from Philadelphia. It put one on the closer side of the city to get to Independence Hall. I did it with a car an motel 20 years ago so I cannot say for sure but stuff like that does not move. ;-)
You're right - if one can find a spot in Camden, it's much closer to I/Hall and those historic parts of Philly - emphasis on the "IF". There IS, actually, a place to park and hook up an RV near the U of P, it's an old trucking company parking lot that was closed when the trucker went out of business, but is now used as an RV parking lot. Not quite 'camping', but paved, fenced, and from what I hear, fairly convenient. Many people use it who have kids or family undergoing long term evaluation or treatment at one the nearby Philly hospitals, which, of course, are the best medical centers in the world.

CPR | RV Customers
Old 07-14-2015, 11:36 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In Philly, check out RV Parking & Campus Park n Ride, 1600 Warfield St, Philly. If you do a search on Google Maps it will show.

John & Diane, Fulltime since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps