Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
For those who have done this, if you are leaving Arches NP and want to go to Dinosaur National Monument, with a coach and toad (64' in total length), what route would you take?
The trip will be taken in the summer months.

thanks
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
For those who have done this, if you are leaving Arches NP and want to go to Dinosaur National Monument, with a coach and toad (64' in total length), what route would you take?
The trip will be taken in the summer months.

thanks
Old 12-27-2008, 09:57 AM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The fastest route is going up to I 70 than over towards Grand Junction Colorado at Loma head north on 139. It will take you up to the Colorado side of Dinosaur, than you can wander over to the Utah side and see it. Or you can go to I70 to 6/191 and head north and right out of price catch 191 north to Duchesne than east on 40/191 to Vernal and right out of Vernal you can run into Dinosaur, Utah side and than go to Colorado after. Utah side has the Dinosaurs and some history and the Colorado side has some beautiful canyons and also some history.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Lee,
I saw these routes on a map. Can you tell me if Rt 139 or Rt 191 is a better choice for 64' of coach and toad? The Mountain Directory West mentions both these roads.
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Rt 139 (8268') has Douglas Pass wich has miles of 8% grades (up and down). Also this route has numerous switchbacks where the speed is 15 MPH or less.
<LI>Rt 191 between Helper and Duchesne (9100') has 8% grades (up and down) for several miles.[/list]Can you tell me the quality of these roads? Is 139 or 191 mentioned above suitable for a coach and toad? My main concern is safety on 139 or 191. Both routes are about 190-200 miles.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
JRP

Gary,

There are differences here, but maybe not enough to say one is clearly better or safer, other than personal preferences. Although its been 15 years since I moved from Colo and drove either of these, here is my recollection:
The Ut side US6/191 is about an hour longer, 240 miles vs 180 miles on the Colo side Co139.
The Ut side US6/191 is a wider road, but in poorer condition due to large coal truck traffic.
The Ut side has much more traffic, including heavy truck traffic.
The Ut side goes through about 10 small-med towns each with stop signs or traffic signals.
The Colo side (139) is very lightly traveled, no other towns till you hit Rangely and no stop signs or signals. You may not see 6 other vehicles, outside of Rangely, depending on time of day.
The Colo side is much more scenic than the Ut side(coal mines & power plants)
The steep side (7%) of Douglas pass is on the south side where you'll be going uphill. Its north slope is much less steep.

I'd go Colo 139, but thats mainly my preference to take the road less traveled.

Jim
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Jim,
I forgot to ask about traffic. I will keep this info to help make my decision.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just drove 191 to Roosevelt, Utah(20 miles west of Vernal) and back to Arizona in Oct. I have a 37 foot motor home pulling a Saturn Vue. I also drove the 139 year before last. You will have one mountain pass in Utah on 191 to cross over. Its a steep one on the south side as compared to the gradual drop on the north side. And it a heavily used road by both locals and trucks traveling to and from the oil and gas wells of Roosevelt and Vernal and Price. So it is a busy road but I have driven it dozens of times in last two years and have yet to have a problem short of my gas hog MH draggin butt going up the south side. LOL Less traffic on 139 but not near as scenic as 191. They are widening parts of HWY6 or were earlier this year but most of that was north of where you would turn to go 191. They have widened 6/191 in half a dozen locations in the past two or three years between 70 and 191 n of Price as well. There are rv parks in Duchesne, and Vernal, I dont remember one in Roosevelt. Most have been packed full of oil drillers for past three or four years. There is a nice campground on the Utah side of Dinosaur and I dont know of it ever being full but with more people camping close to home it may get close to full but they do have an overflow and a second campground which is mainly used by river runners. I hope this will help you.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Lee,
I appreciate your post. I don't get out West much. Knowing the details of those who have been there is really helpful. I'll have a coach full of grand kids and adults. This is why I am a bit sensitive to the roads and what I can expect.