Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimterryan View Post
We are traveling through this area on our trip out west. We are going from Zion to Bryce. Which route is better hwy 14 or hwy 20? Is staying in one spot and driving the car to each of the 2 or trying to get an rv park closer to each the better way to go. We have a week for both slotted.

40' Country Coach with a 2013 ford edge
IMHO, you are not making a smart choice - just stay at each park, as they are miles apart.

Maps

Just too much time driving to and from,

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #16

I am an amateur photographer in Utah. I'm just getting my RV next week so I haven't done the rv park thing but I know a lot about the area. I always stay in Kanab which is about 20 miles from the east entrance to Zion. MUCH less crowded than the west entrance where cars are lined up literally for miles. Bryce is an hour north of the turnoff to Zion on highway 89, an hour and a half north of Kanab. You turn off 89 and go east on highway 12 to Bryce. Highway 12 is listed as one of the most beautiful drives in America.
Then from Kanab you can go straight south to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. As Busskippper said it is much less crowded than the south rim. It's a ways south of Kanab. An hour and 45 minutes
farsidefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:50 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by defekticon View Post
It's 36 days beginning to end. I have two long travel days (~800 miles per day), at the start then two long travel days to get from the GC to NO after 15 days out west. Then one long travel day at the end heading home. That's probably the best I can do as far as breaking it up. If we had to change the itinerary and skip any sections mid trip, New Orleans can be done as an overnight while we stay in Topsail.

The trips in between Mount Rushmore, Red Rocks, Arches, Bryce and Grand Canyon are all ~ 300 miles. I'd rather beat feet on the longer legs and not worry about schedule as much when I'm only 300 miles to my next destination. Right now my only committed non-refundable dates are the days at Topsail in FL towards the end.

Never been around Chicago, better or worse than Atlanta? I will plan to avoid.

I've never been out to the parks in Utah. I'm not sure if they're more or less crowded than FL in summer.

I'm not opposed to leaving earlier. We have four boys, but only two are coming with us for this trip. The other boys (Brady Bunch) have summer Scout camp, and obligations with their respective other parents.

WOW, those long travel days are bordering on dangerous, particularly around large cities. I understand wanting to get a lot in, but you need to stop and smell the roses. Traveling is meant to be somewhat enjoyable, not see the country in one 30 day trip. Have you considered breaking this up into multiple trips? Just my opinion, but you will be a zombie, not able to enjoy the trip. And what happens if something happens along the way, blow a tire on the PA turnpike, or a hose in Utah, step on a pop top and blow a flip flop. No time in the schedule to recover. This is just my opinion, but as said before, it is a VERY ambitious schedule, good luck!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote