RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #1

Arches to Bryce Canyon to Grand Canyon

Looking for a safe route for a 40 ft 5th wheel. Right now I'm using Furkot to plan the route.

From Arches to Bryce Canyon It has me taking I70 to Route 72 south to Route 24 to 62 and Johns Valley Road. From what I can tell these are mostly straight roads. Bryce to Grand Canyon is 89 to 64.

Any concerns? Any park suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 11:41 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
From Arches to Bryce Canyon I'd use US 191 to I-70W, then US 89 to UT 12. From Bryce, if you're going to the South Rim, your route is correct, US 89 to AZ 64. US 89A is a bit shorter, but it takes much longer because of the terrain.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by defekticon View Post
Looking for a safe route for a 40 ft 5th wheel. Right now I'm using Furkot to plan the route.

From Arches to Bryce Canyon It has me taking I70 to Route 72 south to Route 24 to 62 and Johns Valley Road. From what I can tell these are mostly straight roads. Bryce to Grand Canyon is 89 to 64.

Any concerns? Any park suggestions?
Sorry but I'm confused - where are you - what all do you want to see - start and end of trip would be nice to know - do you just want to go from A to B or is the trip supposed to be fun.

Sorry but I've been to all of these locations from multiple locations - all the trips were great. BUT I go out of my way to make the TRIP as much or more Fun than the destination.

Get back to us and I'm sure we can help.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Sorry but I'm confused - where are you - what all do you want to see - start and end of trip would be nice to know - do you just want to go from A to B or is the trip supposed to be fun.

Sorry but I've been to all of these locations from multiple locations - all the trips were great. BUT I go out of my way to make the TRIP as much or more Fun than the destination.

Get back to us and I'm sure we can help.

I have an itinerary. Planned out July 15 - aug 21st. 4 nights at Mount Rushmore, 2 nights @ Red Rocks Amphitheater, 3 nights in Arches, 4 nights in Bryce 3 nights at the Grand Canyon, 2 nights in New Orleans and 14 days at Topsail Hill state Park in Walton County, FL. We're looking for property in that area so we're going to spend extra time there.

I use Furkot for trip planning, which is a really powerful tool when you have a round trip destination and need to plan stops in between as well as account for fuel, travel time, etc. I've put a lot of time into the planning, but i have not made reservations for the western stops yet. I only have the reservations at Topsail so far because they have to be made 6-8 months in advance for a two week stay. This is an overview of our trip.

https://trips.furkot.com/ts/GAMq4D
Old 04-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:

I have an itinerary. Planned out July 15 - aug 21st.

4 nights at Mount Rushmore,

2 nights @ Red Rocks Amphitheater,

3 nights in Arches,

4 nights in Bryce

3 nights at the Grand Canyon,

2 nights in New Orleans and

14 days at Topsail Hill state Park in Walton County, FL. We're looking for property in that area so we're going to spend extra time there.

I use Furkot for trip planning, which is a really powerful tool when you have a round trip destination and need to plan stops in between as well as account for fuel, travel time, etc.

I've put a lot of time into the planning, but

I have not made reservations for the western stops yet.

I only have the reservations at Topsail so far because they have to be made 6-8 months in advance for a two week stay.

This is an overview of our trip.

https://trips.furkot.com/ts/GAMq4D
Awesome trip - BUT - 6,000 miles in three weeks will test you - that with my math works out to 15 days driving for 8 hour - and only 7 days to stop to see the sites. You also have 18 days scheduled on your stops - Again might just be me - BUT?

Neat Map - Sounds like a Fun Trip - BUT - if I read the plan correctly you will leave on Saturday and Arrive on Sunday in Mt Rushmore, SD 1,700 miles in two days, and drive directly through Chicago.

That is an ambitious schedule in a sports car much less in a Truck and a 5th wheel.
Have you thought about trying to avoid Tolls?
IMHO, you will need to try to Average 50 MPH, not that easy, that will mean 34-35 hours of driving just to get to Custer/Rushmore.
I've used Bing Maps - simple to use - easy to change - https://binged.it/2otRKcB

Again, not trying to rain on your parade but, either I'm missing a month, or so or you have seriously over planned this trip.

So for me I'd do a few things - First, get more Time - Second, better define the Mission, otherwise I would be very frustrated trying to meet your Schedule.

Couple things - Leave on Friday after work or in the evening to get to Ohio - that will help a little - Avoid Chicago - Possibly avoid Toll roads - Change the road speed in your App - realign your days at each location to fit with the travel - Focus on one area and Drive Much LESS. One of the biggest frustrations is a tight schedule, because of reservations, which will likely be necessary in the summer making the trip almost impossible.

JMHO,

Old 04-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #6

It's 36 days beginning to end. I have two long travel days (~800 miles per day), at the start then two long travel days to get from the GC to NO after 15 days out west. Then one long travel day at the end heading home. That's probably the best I can do as far as breaking it up. If we had to change the itinerary and skip any sections mid trip, New Orleans can be done as an overnight while we stay in Topsail.

The trips in between Mount Rushmore, Red Rocks, Arches, Bryce and Grand Canyon are all ~ 300 miles. I'd rather beat feet on the longer legs and not worry about schedule as much when I'm only 300 miles to my next destination. Right now my only committed non-refundable dates are the days at Topsail in FL towards the end.

Never been around Chicago, better or worse than Atlanta? I will plan to avoid.

I've never been out to the parks in Utah. I'm not sure if they're more or less crowded than FL in summer.

I'm not opposed to leaving earlier. We have four boys, but only two are coming with us for this trip. The other boys (Brady Bunch) have summer Scout camp, and obligations with their respective other parents.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #7
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Never been around Chicago, better or worse than Atlanta? I will plan to avoid
WORST - But its tough to bypass it. Avoid rush hour and Fridays, and you'll be ok. Stay alert....

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Chicago I-80/90 are a sweet mess. Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois are all toll roads, you'll pay extra for every axle on the road. From Rising Sun, I'd travel west on I-70 to Indianapolis, then NW on I-74 to Davenport and I-80. At the W edge of Iowa is I-29, an easy route up to Sioux City, SD. and I-90.

You avoid all tolls and the congestion of Chicago. A trucker burps and traffic will be tied up for hours around Chicago. All other alternative US highways will also back up as people try to avoid the toll road.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #9

Quote:

We used to boondock along Hwy 22 (Johns Valley Rd) and it wasn't paved all the way through. You might want to check on it.

Instead you could continue on 62 to 89 south to Hwy 12 and east to Bryce.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:02 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
From Arches to Bryce Canyon I'd use US 191 to I-70W, then US 89 to UT 12. From Bryce, if you're going to the South Rim, your route is correct, US 89 to AZ 64. US 89A is a bit shorter, but it takes much longer because of the terrain.

We did this route last summer and it was great. Rt 89 is especially scenic.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:22 AM   #11

Love that part of the country
Carlct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #12

Quote:

It's 36 days beginning to end. I have

two long travel days (~900 miles per day), at the start then

....>>>>.... If possible, to jump out on Friday night will be big in 3-400 miles done, kids can sleep as you drive till midnight.

two long travel days to get from the GC to NO (~800 miles per day)after 15 days out west. Then

one long travel day , (1200) at the end heading home. That's probably the best I can do as far as breaking it up. If we had to change the itinerary and skip any sections mid trip, New Orleans can be done as an overnight while we stay in Topsail.

The trips in between Mount Rushmore, Red Rocks, Arches, Bryce and Grand Canyon are all ~ 300 miles. I'd rather beat feet on the longer legs and not worry about schedule as much when I'm only 300 miles to my next destination. Right now my only committed non-refundable dates are the days at Topsail in FL towards the end.

....>>>>.... Are you going to a Concert at Red Rocks? - Not normally high on a list of places to see in Colorado - Don't get me wrong - it's Beautiful, but from Custer to Red Rocks (Not RMNP - Dinosaur NM - Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP - Great Sand Dunes NP - The Collegiates - Maroon Bells - Ouray - Silverton) one or two of these might be on the way and More memorable, not to mention more on the route.

....>>>>....When going into Moab try to drive RT 128 along the Colorado River, just beautiful and you can get your toes in the water.

....>>>>.... Look into RT 12 when around Bryce the Hog Back is another Beautiful Drive.

Never been around Chicago, better or worse than Atlanta? I will plan to avoid.

....>>>>.... Yes X 2-5 I will not get within 50 miles! Nobody goes there anymore, "It's too Crowded"

....>>>>.... Don't forget Dallas, it too might be worse than Atlanta - we usually go through Paris, TX to Texarkana, the little extra distance will pay off in hours of driving in traffic avoided.

I've never been out to the parks in Utah. I'm not sure if they're more or less crowded than FL in summer.

....>>>>.... We've always been able to get in in the Summer - Peak season in Spring and Fall - keep in Mind Utah will likely be warm (100's during the day) so plan to get out early and in the Sunset, as it will cool off overnight. (floppy hats and Sunscreen)

I'm not opposed to leaving earlier. We have four boys, but only two are coming with us for this trip. The other boys (Brady Bunch) have summer Scout camp, and obligations with their respective other parents.
**** Just Curious - now that Phone Booths are all gone where do you change into the YOUR SUIT? ............

....>>>>.... 17 summers of RV road trip travels across the USA and Canada | Lolo's Extreme Cross Country RV Trips -- This might help - always good to Know that you are not Alone.

Arches has some road construction this summer - https://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/construction.htm - this might impact you.

Have you considered the North Rim of the Grand Canyon - Higher (cooler) - not as Crowded - Some say just not as spectacular - but for many it is the Favorite side. Might just save you a few miles, and you could go by Lake Powell - water - Kids love Water.

Sound like it will be fun for all,

Best of Luck,

Old 04-26-2017, 09:10 AM   #13

We are traveling through this area on our trip out west. We are going from Zion to Bryce. Which route is better hwy 14 or hwy 20? Is staying in one spot and driving the car to each of the 2 or trying to get an rv park closer to each the better way to go. We have a week for both slotted.

40' Country Coach with a 2013 ford edge
jimterryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimterryan View Post
We are traveling through this area on our trip out west. We are going from Zion to Bryce. Which route is better hwy 14 or hwy 20? Is staying in one spot and driving the car to each of the 2 or trying to get an rv park closer to each the better way to go. We have a week for both slotted.

40' Country Coach with a 2013 ford edge
Definitely Hwy 20. 14 is very steep and curvy. Allowing 1 week for each park I'd recommend moving to the second park for the best overall experience and a lot less driving.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote