Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2017, 02:59 PM   #1

Arizona 88 - Apache Junction to Globe

We were going to take the drive!!! The real question is... Have any of you done the drive with a sizeable rv. We're not timid to small,steep roads, but there is a limit! Thanks for any and all help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by memtb View Post
We were going to take the drive!!! The real question is... Have any of you done the drive with a sizeable rv. We're not timid to small,steep roads, but there is a limit! Thanks for any and all help.
the short answer...yes, you can likely drive it in your MH. we've done the Apache Trail (AZ 88) several times...but in our 4WD Jeep...but have seen large delivery trucks on the "road" so you should be OK in your MH. the question is not can you but should you. if it were us we'd leave the RV in the campground and take the toad. if you don't have a toad then rent one.

you'll have no trouble as the road is paved past Canyon Lake until just a bit past Tortilla Flat where you'll encounter a steep hill. some may tell you that the hill is nearly vertical...which it is not...and to avoid it. you can't if you want to go all the way to US 60 at the Roosevelt Dam NE of Globe. we just put the jeep in 1st and ambled down the hill. as we descended we passed a delivery truck climbing the hill so it's not THAT bad. just take your time. the parking at Tortilla Flat is limited and you may have trouble parking your MH there or for that matter at many of the turnouts along the paved section.

good luck and enjoy. bring plenty of water, a cell phone and a camera.

rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:07 PM   #3

...are you talking about the road that goes up the Salt River canyon? The "hill" you referred to is Fish Creek--very steep and very narrow with a hair-pin turn at the bottom. Not sure what you call a sizeable RV but other than maybe a pick-up truck pulling a boat up to the lake/Rec area--I wouldn't do it.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Fish Creek Hill...that's right. couldn't recall the name. we didn't find it all that steep, dangerous or narrow but then we were in our Jeep. we did pass a delivery truck coming up the hill as we were descending but we had plenty of room. and I recall thinking that 'Dead Man's Curve' was much ado about nothing. but we took the hill at a leisurely 1st gear pace and certainly wouldn't recommend going any faster. as I mentioned in my first post I would not recommend doing the trail in a motorhome. park the MH and take the toad or a rental jeep.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:36 PM   #5

I have driven that road several times. Very picturesque. But very tight and blind turns. If someone else is coming the other way then someone is backing up quite a ways. No room for two on many turns. Even some straightaways are very narrow. I have scraped bushes with my Yukon and these are not soft bushes...left scrapes on the paint. I don't know how trucks and motorhomes do it. I recommend no! Not for the faint of heart driver.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:15 PM   #6

We have taken the Apache Trail in a 26-foot, narrow body diesel RV. (A Trek Safari) Several places, we had to wait for the oncoming traffic to back up for us, which they did with smiles and waves. (we were towing a car too!) I would not attempt to drive it in a wide-bodied coach, or anything longer than 26 feet.

We stopped at Tortilla Flats at the end of our journey. Wife and I were discussing the adventure over dinner. A guy next to us overheard a bit, and leaned over and said "You can't drive the Apache Trail in a motorhome." My wife leaned back at him and said "We just did."

Matt B
Old 07-27-2017, 12:45 AM   #7

Assuming you still have the same 5th wheel, your Profile states it's 39'. Definitely, do not take it on the Apache Trail from Apache Jct., AZ to Roosevelt Lake and on to Globe. It is extremely narrow.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:10 AM   #8

Just a note of Thanks to everyone who responded! It appears that "discretion is the better part of valor". We will take the trail...but without the camper. Just hate to double back, but it seems wise. Boy... No one has ever accused me of that!

Tags
arizona