Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Arizona 89

I am going to be in the Lake Havasu area in late February and would like to take our 40' coach to Cottonwood area going north thru Kingman and then south on Arizona 93 then N.E. on Arizona 89 thru Prescott to Cottonwood. It looks like a nice drive, I'm not in a hurry, many slow turns, just would like to know if it's a reasonable trip for my coach pulling a toad. Are there passes, should weather be a factor?
Thanks
John G.
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
To get from Prescott to Cottonwood using 89, you'll have to use 89-A. That route takes you through Jerome where they sell T-shirts that say "I survived 89-A. 128 curves in 12 miles." I'm not certain how accurate that is since there's a sign near Jerome that says that trucks over 40 feet are prohibited, which I interpreted as "NO WAY!. The literature at Thousand Trails Verde Valley Resort has a note that says, "Under no circumstances should you drive 89-A between Prescott and Jerome."
Old 12-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #3

I am not familiar with the highway to Jerome, but Jerome itself is about as unfriendly to a 40 ft. rig as it gets. Narrow streets and very sharp switchbacks with cars parked in the way of your swing into the curve, etc. We were there in our toad and commented how we were very glad we had left our MH in Sedona.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
89A from Prescott to Cottonwood is Limited to 40' It is very possible to have snow in the pass going over Mingus mountain in February. The cilmb From Prescott to the top is 7-8% and the downhill to Cottonwood is about the same.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I would check the weather prior to even thinking about taking this route...Great scenery but can be treacherous in the winter time. I have seen snow in the Flagstaff region up to two feet deep. Trucked through there for many years. I would wait till late May or early June.
jabfado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ok, thats enough information for me, thats why I asked. It's not many more miles, (but I'm sure quicker) to go back to 10 and east. Thanks for the info, I went from Flagstaff to Kingman last year in mid March, had a great sunny day at the Grand Canyon but it snowed 6-8 inches the day after we left Williams, and was very windy and cold the morning we left!
Thanks again,
John G.
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #7

69 to 169 to I-17 would probably be shorter than going back to I-10.
tj4dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #8

Prescott has already been hit with snow a couple of times so be sure and check the weather forecast.
tj4dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj4dirt View Post
69 to 169 to I-17 would probably be shorter than going back to I-10.
This definitely the route to take. It will only add about 20 minutes to the trip. The Verde Valley is worth seeing - Jerome, Sedona, VV Train, indian ruins.

We live in Clarkdale (just below Jerome) and do see a few Class A's go over the hill. There are places, especially in/near Jerome where it will be physically impossible to not be left of center. Take the extra 20 minutes and then drive your toad to Jerome. It will be much more enjoyable. By the way it was about 70 degrees and gorgeous here today.
cpd520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you want to go to the Verde Valley (highly recommended) but want to stay off major highways there is another route that does not involve going through Jerome. Take 95 North to I-40 go east to Ash Fork then take AZ 89 south towards Prescott then take 69 south to Dewey where you can pick up AZ 169 to I-17 at I-17 go North about 12 miles to AZ 260 take that to Cottonwood. If you don't want to go all the way into Prescott there is a short cut through Prescott Valley. At the junction of 89 and Alt 89 take Alt 89 east toward Jerome in about 6.5 miles you will see signs for Fain Rd turn right about 7.5 miles down the road you will come to AZ - 69 turn left toward Dewey.
I have taken this route in my motor home it almost all two lane but well maintained and avoids the problem you may have with snow in Flagstaff if you go I-40 to I-17.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #11

89 between Congress and Prescott is restricted to "under 40 foot". You have to detour at Kirkland Junction,to Kirkland,to Skull Valley,Iron Springs Rd. to Prescott,then pick up 69 to I17 or 89 to Jerome in Prescott