Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #1

Arizona to the Villages, FL.

Unfortunately, illness has us making a quick departure for the The Villages in Florida. Normally, I enjoy plotting my course and stops but we’ll be leaving in a couple days. So, I’m hoping some experienced RV’era can help me out with navigation.

We prefer to travel the HWY 40 east thru Texas and Oklahoma. Normally, we’d be traveling thru to New England. Can someone - who has traveled the roads recommended- please advise what southern states I’d be better off driving thru. We’re a 40’ DP w/toad.

THANKS TO ALL FOR READING!!

Safe travels.
mrbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #2

Sorry to learn of medical issues. Right now, I'd be concerned about flooding, tornados; especially through Oklahoma. You might want to just take I-10 across to Florida since you're in Arizona.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Sorry to learn of medical issues. Right now, I'd be concerned about flooding, tornados; especially through Oklahoma. You might want to just take I-10 across to Florida since you're in Arizona.

We have driven the I-10 from Florida to California a back quite a few times and this is probably the way for you to go if you want to get home the fastest way. Good roads and easy driving.

Safe travel

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #4
RV LIFE Support Team

Try to go through Houston on a Sundaay morning.

There is a loop road around San Antonio, 1604(?). It i busy but better than I10.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #5

Many thanks to all for your reply’s!!

Maybe I do need to “change up” my Eastward bound Habit of taking the 40 thru Texas. It’s just so open and flat in Texas and OKlahoma - great mileage part of trip! I guess traveling along the 10 there would be no big hills to contend with.

I have heard that the loop around Houston on a Sunday morning is not an issue. Thanks Sue46 for confirming that!

All thoughts appreciated!!
Old 05-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #6

I-10 is wide open from Tucson to Junction, TX - except for El Paso and that's over fast. Try to do it between 9-2 or Sunday morning. No big hills.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #7

There is a loop around El Paso also but I can’t remember the way. Hopefully others will chime in.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #8

Thanks again to all for your input!

The Good Sam Trip planner suggests 3 routes. Get this, the total difference in miles between the 3 different routes is less than 100 miles!

One route is of course the I-10 all the way across from Az to Fl. (2285 miles)

2nd route is the I-40 thru Amarillo, Tx., then across Texas southeast thru Dallas to the I-10 to LA then Fl. (2215 miles)

3rd route is I-40 all the way to Memphis, then thru Birmingham, then thru Atlanta, then to Fl. (2307).

I’m so familiar with the I-40 thru Memphis, that may be the way we go. Regardless, I do promise to let all know which route we take, and how good/bad the roads were for us.

I’m still open to any and all suggestions. For sure, timing the drive thru any major city would be considered!

Thanks to ALL again!!!
Old 05-13-2019, 07:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbap View Post
Thanks again to all for your input!

The Good Sam Trip planner suggests 3 routes. Get this, the total difference in miles between the 3 different routes is less than 100 miles!

One route is of course the I-10 all the way across from Az to Fl. (2285 miles)

2nd route is the I-40 thru Amarillo, Tx., then across Texas southeast thru Dallas to the I-10 to LA then Fl. (2215 miles)

3rd route is I-40 all the way to Memphis, then thru Birmingham, then thru Atlanta, then to Fl. (2307).

I’m so familiar with the I-40 thru Memphis, that may be the way we go. Regardless, I do promise to let all know which route we take, and how good/bad the roads were for us.

I’m still open to any and all suggestions. For sure, timing the drive thru any major city would be considered!

Thanks to ALL again!!!
As all the suggestions, are like mine, a Personal Preference - I avoid BIG cities in Texas like the Plague - so I have found that this route from Amarillo to Texarkana just makes MY life easier - then it gets around what I would consider a disaster of a road I-10 through Louisiana. - https://binged.it/2JhuFYF - again this is just a personal preference but it is sort of a combo of your normal route, with a slight adjustment in Texas.

Let us Know how it goes as you head Home and what you find in the route you use we can all profit from your input.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:

FYI, going thru Dallas area most of the roads are tollways. You don't stop, but they take a picture of your license plate an send you a bill 6 months later.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:29 PM   #11

Busskipper, I could not agree with you more. I avoid all big cities at all cost. THANKS, for taking the time to post that link and route.

Mr.Goodbar, I had NO IDEA any State/Municipality was doing that! That’s incredible. I guess they can read both RV plate and toad, so I’d get two invoices...nice. I’d rather just pay at the booth. But I know the World has changed.

I believe I will take the I-40 thru Amarillo, TX (Oasis RV Park). It really is an easy drive. Then decide based on weather and campsite availablilty. Because, I have an older Rig; should I need “service” the major highways are my best bet - and for fuel too!

One of the “best things” I’ve gotten out of RV’ing, is this website!!! It has helped me so many times, and saved me some real $$. So many GREAT people.

Thank you all for your input!
Old 05-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Busskipper, I could not agree with you more. I avoid all big cities at all cost. THANKS, for taking the time to post that link and route.

Mr.Goodbar, I had NO IDEA any State/Municipality was doing that! That’s incredible. I guess they can read both RV plate and toad, so I’d get two invoices...nice. I’d rather just pay at the booth. But I know the World has changed.

I believe I will take the I-40 thru Amarillo, TX (Oasis RV Park). It really is an easy drive. Then decide based on weather and campsite availablilty. Because, I have an older Rig; should I need “service” the major highways are my best bet - and for fuel too!

One of the “best things” I’ve gotten out of RV’ing, is this website!!! It has helped me so many times, and saved me some real $$. So many GREAT people.

Thank you all for your input!
My Pleasure to help out - nice thing about RT 287 and 82 is that they both have plenty of services along the way and folks in that part of Texas will take care of you

With all the rain you may want to check in with the DOT in Each state to be sure there are no issues - https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/division/travel.html - LaDOTD - Home Page - Drive safely.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:11 PM   #13

To close out this thread...

It appears time is not on our side. I will not be making the drive. Last night I drove my wife to the airport to catch a Florida bound flight to be with her Sister.

Thanks to all for your help and Prayers!

Tags
arizona