Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2015, 11:36 AM   #1

Around/Through Houston

Leaving St. Louis in three weeks for Harligen, Texas area for the winter. Have the route planned for the most part. We need to spend a couple of days in Tomball, TX, just north of Houston, to visit relatives. I'd appreciate suggestions on getting around/through Houston. Been there before and know how bad the traffic can be. I'd like to avoid toll roads if possible. Suggestions are welcomed. And, thanks in advance.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 02:03 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Taking Beltway 8 to Interstate 69 would be the quickest and I would try for Saturday or Sunday morning if you can. Beltway 8 does have tolls so if you wish to avoid it, then you would need to run:

Interstate 45 South
Loop 610 WEST
Interstate 69 South
Then on down to Hwy 59 the Hwy 77

Here's the link to EZ Pass..should you want to give it a try.

https://www.hctra.org/
MrBelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Do NOT avoid the toll route around Houston just to save a few bucks. You will regret it for the duration of your trip. The non toll routes thru Houston are all skinny lanes, filled with mostly uninsured drivers, trucks with Mexican registry and tires, etc. the beltway is the only way to go. Use the far right toll booth at every stop as it is the widest! We are former Houstonians.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:42 PM   #4

Just looking at the map, I'd probably toddle west on 2920 to 290 at Waller, then head south as appropriate. I'd rather go for another root canal than go anywhere near Houston again.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I am a truck driver pull a 53 foot trailer around Houston regularly. If it were me I would go I-45 south to Beltway 8 west around to Hwy 59 south.
If you want to avoid the toll roads, take I-45 south to I-10 east to Hwy 59 south. Do this route between 10:00am and 3:00pm or between 10:00pm and 3:00am. Avoid 610 on the west side at Hwy 290, it is under construction with very narrow lanes and only 2 lanes in some places.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #6

Well howwww- dee you'll be around my neck of the woods. Usually we take I-69 straight down to the RGV.
chevy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #7

When we where in Tom Ball we slipped out of town on a Sunday. Then we took the feeder road next to 249 south to 1960 took a right and 1960 turns into HY 6 south to Sugar Land and HY 59 South. Its for the most part all four lane and slow going. We like slow, and just south of HY 10 on HY 6 there is a very nice U Haul where its easy in and out for propane...
Safe Travels
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote