Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to grampakoot
Ash Springs Nev to Brenda Az

We are heading from Spokane to Brenda Az in early January. We would like make make it from Ash Springs to Brenda on the last leg.
Does anyone have experience turning off Hwy 15 just north of Las Vegas and taking NV 147 and 166 to 93 and on to Brenda.?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2010, 09:56 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
grampakoot!!

G'morning from Santa Fe. Sorry, can't help with your route question but just had to tell you we sure laughed at your signature line..."to darn old to age my wine." THAT'S a good one!! and...by wife, Lynette, who's the wine drinker here REALLY enjoyed it. THANKS.

Steve & Lynette

Old 09-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #3

I did that several years ago towing a 5th wheel and as I remember the road was good and should not be a problem for any vehicle. As I remember it was a rural two lane road, not real wide but very little traffic. If time is somewhat limited I'd stay on I-15 and then I-515 through Las Vegas and then US 93 on south.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampakoot View Post
Does anyone have experience turning off Hwy 15 just north of Las Vegas and taking NV 147 and 166 to 93 and on to Brenda.?
Good route, no problem for any size rig.

However, instead of turning off onto NV-147...which means you still have to navigate through some of the Las Vegas traffic...you might consider turning off onto NV-168 from US-93, get on I-15 for a short distance north (toward Utah), getting off at Exit 93, and heading south on NV-169 which will eventually dump you out on NV-166. It's a bit longer, but it's a good road and, IMO, less stressful than trying to drive through any of the Las Vegas traffic.

Taking US-93 will mean going over Hoover Dam, which isn't really a big deal. It can be slow, depending on traffic, and you will have to stop for an inspection before crossing the dam...also not a big deal.

Another route you might want to consider is, instead of taking US-93, head south on US-95 to Vidal Junction and then head east on CA-62 to Parker, AZ, where you'll pick up AZ-95 south. At the junction of AZ-95 and AZ-72, head east on AZ-72 to Ave 42 E. Head south on Ave 42 E to US-60...from there, it's a short trip (about a mile) into Brenda.

By the way, we live in Spokane and spend the winters near Brenda, so we'll be taking this route, too...hopefully, next month sometime (we'll probably take the route outlined in the above paragraph, since the RV park where we stay is at the junction of Ave 42 E and US-60). However, we WON'T try to make the portion from Ash Springs to Brenda all in one day, since that's a trip of over 300 miles. The trip will take *us* at least two days if not three or four!
Old 09-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #5

When we go to Quartzsite from Vegas, we take US 95 south through Needles to Vidal Junction in CA then CA 62 to Parker AZ where we pick up US 95 again into Quartzsite. At Quartzsite you can then take I-10 east 11 miles to Brenda.

From our home taking the route I gave, it's 215 miles to Quartzsite if that helps any on your distance/time travel plan.

Good luck and travel safe...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:00 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you IRV2

The resources on IRV2 are amazing.
Thanks to all your responses, our plans for January/February 2011 are as follows.
Leave Spokane Jan 1st. Arrive Ash Springs on 4th or 5th.
Then, Ash Springs to AtlAtl Campground in Valley Of Fire for a couple overnights.
Then Burro Creek BLM overnight.
Then it's feet up, jacks down, for a month at Black Rock RV Park in Brenda/ Salome.
Thanks again everyone...see you at the Quartzsite Rally.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampakoot View Post
Then, Ash Springs to AtlAtl Campground in Valley Of Fire for a couple overnights.
In this case, there is absolutely no reason to go the NV-147 route as mentioned in your first post...it will take you miles off your route.

From Ash Springs, you can either go south on US-93 all the way to I-15 and then head north on I-15 to Exit 75 which will put you on Valley of Fire Road and take you right to the park. Or you can take the NV-168/I-15/NV-169 route I mentioned above, to the eastern entrance to Valley of Fire State Park.
Quote:
Then Burro Creek BLM overnight.
Then you'd want to take US-93 across Hoover Dam (I read someplace that the bridge is supposed to be complete by November, so maybe you'll luck out and won't have to go across the dam).
Old 09-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ash Springs Nev to Brenda Az

Thanks to all of you we are now comfortable with several options. I especialy like the possibility that we will be going over new bridge at Hoover Dam (Carol will need to close her eyes).
Looking forward to meet those of you who will attend end of January IRV2 Quartzsite Rally.