Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #1

Asheville NC to Knoxville TN

Planning a trip in May from Asheville NC to Knoxville TN via Interstates 40 & 140.

Wondering about crossing the mountains in that area. Anything to avoid or be concerned about (extremely steep grades are prime concern)?

Driving a 36' gasser MH, and with the Workhorse brake issues always on my mind I don't want to have to rely on brakes too much. Not too worried about going up, but what goes up usually has to come back down again, and I don't want to use my brakes any more than necessary.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
You should be fine. Use your transmission as much as you can on the downhills and keep your speeds down to something reasonable. It takes less braking energy to maintain a slow downhill speed than to slow down from a higher speed.

I RV in these mountains all the time.... speed is your worse enemy.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Navl AV8R,
I also travel I40 over the mountains many times. Not to restate what Hitchhiker posted, as you crest the hills, gear down before your speed increases. There are also left and right hand bends in these up/down hill sections. If you do use your brakes, stab the brakes instead of applying slow even pressure. If you stab the brakes, you slow faster, use the brakes less and be able to gear down another gear, if needed.

Compared to a night landing on a carrier, this road is a walk in the park.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Navl, we live in this area. The great thing about 40 is that in the roughest area , the trucks are restricted to the right lane and the speed is 50 mph, so at Maggie Valley area, just fall in the right lane and enjoy the ride, grades are not bad and it is a beautiful drive. After Pegion river gorge, the grades are gentle to Knoxville.

Tow 2001 PT Cruiser
Colette and Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colette and Joe View Post
Navl, we live in this area. The great thing about 40 is that in the roughest area , the trucks are restricted to the right lane and the speed is 50 mph, so at Maggie Valley area, just fall in the right lane and enjoy the ride, grades are not bad and it is a beautiful drive. After Pegion river gorge, the grades are gentle to Knoxville.
The trucks being restricted is nice, makes it a great drive with lots to see. Not a bad drive, just do as mentioned above and you will be fine. If I remember correctly there is a tunnel so be quick taking off the sun glasses. .

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:21 PM   #6

Thanks

Thanks to all who responded. Appreciate the advice on the hills. We are really looking forward to the drive.

GaryKD - thanks for the comment. Sounds like you know something about those landings. My experience has shown that not much in life has been quite as "interesting" as night, high seas and low fuel state.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navl AV8R View Post
Thanks to all who responded. Appreciate the advice on the hills. We are really looking forward to the drive.

GaryKD - thanks for the comment. Sounds like you know something about those landings. My experience has shown that not much in life has been quite as "interesting" as night, high seas and low fuel state.

Have fun, it is a scenic ride.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:36 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We are going to be traveling from Raleigh to Nashville in August. We were wondering how the grades and curves would be. We have only been as far as Boone since we have had the Motor Home.
We are spending the first 2 nights in Asheville, then on to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg for 2 nights.
Any more info about I-40 would be appreciated. I had heard something about Saluda Mountain being dicey?
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Betty and I have made numerous mountain voyages and plan to take a similar trip to yours from Four Oaks, NC to Nashville in June. RVing in the mountains is much like sailing in the ocean, Mother Nature is in control and you must know your limitations. If you are in a hurry or try to keep up with the locals, you are going to have your hands full and dread the experience. There is a long steep grade around the area of Saluda Mountain, just take your time and enjoy the ride.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Also from the area. As mentioned, just follow the posted truck restricted speeds and you will be fine. Nothing to it...compared to crossing the Rockies it's like a speed bump!
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #11

I traded my old RV that was V-10 Ford powred for an Diesel Cat. engine. I was born and raised in Gastoin, NC. The Smokies are my home. After I bought my first RV, I knew that it had no chance in the Smokies. That is when I traded it for an RV with Diesel power.. Have never had a problem in the Smokies since.

01 Winnebago Journey DL 36ft w/Cat 330
HobbyJack is offline   Reply With Quote