Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Well, winter is arriving in the MW. The snow level is forecast to be 3000' this weekend. That puts it at or below all Cascade passes. The accumulation isn't expected to be much, but it is the start.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
That's great! Why does this happen when we're finally ready to start traveling? DW had her retirement party last night and we're off on a 2-3 week vacation. Anyone have an extra set of tire chains for the MH? LOL

Old 10-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
You will be fine. Just don't get in a hurry. Very seldom is a Snoqualmie Pass (I-90) snow covered for more than a day or so.

The weather guessers are actually pretty good about snow levels in the passes. Just make sure that you plan your route so that you are planning to arrive a couple of days before you "have to" be there. It takes a lot of stress out of the whole process if you can wait a day or so without it being a crisis.

That said, if your son in Big Lake looks at Cultus Mt he will see a bit of snow at the top this morning. Cultus is 3900'.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
That's the real beauty of the DW retiring. No “get there itis" for us. Told the kids “see ya when we se ya" Matter of fact, we delayed our departure for one day as we're headed for our first big storm of the season on Monday here and don't want to be on the road with all the idiots. Let the crowd thin out before we leave.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #33

Not sure if Mt. Vernon is a must do on your trip, but if the passes get really bad you could always take I-84 through the Columbia River Gorge and head north after you get through the mountains. There are good freeway routes up to CDA from there.

Probably not what you want to do but it is a good "Plan B, C, D" etc.

Happy Camping,
DaveAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Drive semi. Going over Snoqualmie Pass to Yakima and back tonight with a set of doubles. WSDOT is currently reporting bare and wet with occasional light snow. Cameras currently show bare and dry. Should be fine tonight, but of course pass road conditions can change moment to moment. If you have smart phone or lap top internet access check WSDOT.com before you go.

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
If you have not finalized all of your layover plans you might take a look at Cannon Beach RV Resort. http://http://www.cbrvresort.com/ It is one of our favorite destination spots. It is right off of highway 101 at Cannon Beach. Cannon Beach is a great tourist stop and the RV Resort has an indoor heated pool and hot tub. Nice folks, well maintained, pet friendly. Rates are very reasonable and winter rates started October 15th. Also, if you only have time to stop for lunch or are looking for a good place to eat right on the ocean while at Cannon Beach I would highly recommend Mo's Restaurant Cannon Beach at Tolovana Park http://www.moschowder.com/cannon-beach.php one exit south of the RV Resort exit just off of highway 101 as well.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco38 View Post
If you have not finalized all of your layover plans you might take a look at Cannon Beach RV Resort. http://http://www.cbrvresort.com/ It is one of our favorite destination spots. It is right off of highway 101 at Cannon Beach. Cannon Beach is a great tourist stop and the RV Resort has an indoor heated pool and hot tub. Nice folks, well maintained, pet friendly. Rates are very reasonable and winter rates started October 15th. Also, if you only have time to stop for lunch or are looking for a good place to eat right on the ocean while at Cannon Beach I would highly recommend Mo's Restaurant Cannon Beach at Tolovana Park http://www.moschowder.com/cannon-beach.php one exit south of the RV Resort exit just off of highway 101 as well.
I would have to second the Cannon Beach RV Resort. We have stayed there several times and will be going back again soon. It is a great RV Park in a really cool town. Lots to see and do there.

My recommendation for an eating place would have to be Bill's Tavern. Great burgers and their fish and chips are always a good choice.

I had originally recommended the Astoria KOA in Hammond but would have to agree the Cannon Beach RV Resort is also a very good choice and is actually more on your direct route to Astoria than the KOA.

Happy Camping,
DaveAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAK View Post
I would have to second the Cannon Beach RV Resort. We have stayed there several times and will be going back again soon. It is a great RV Park in a really cool town. Lots to see and do there.

My recommendation for an eating place would have to be Bill's Tavern. Great burgers and their fish and chips are always a good choice.
Dave, Bill's Tavern and Brewhouse is also on the top of our list, and another eatery I would highly recommend. Bill's Tavern and Brewhouse: Cannon Beach, Oregon They brew some of the beer served right on the premises. You can even buy a jug and take some with you if you like. Their Rudy's Red is my personal favorite. Can't wait to go back in April and refill my jug!

Old 10-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to NW weather. Today it is 55 in Big Lake and the snow level is 8000'.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Well, we're home and what a great time we had. We ended up going up 101 to Lincoln city and then headed over to McMinville so we could stop and see the Air & Space museum. The Spruce Goose was awesome! nice place and highly recommend for you aviation enthusiasts. Then over to I5 for the trip up to Mt. Vernon. Stayed for a few days and then took I90 over to CDL as the weather turned a little nasty and didn't want to drive over on rt.2 Cleared up after the pass and had nice weather from there all the way back home. Saw some great sites and stayed in some very nice campgrounds along the way. Will post some reviews up on those latter on the appropriate forum. No hitches to report, car towed well on the dolly and got the connect/disconnect time down to just minutes. Only one thing I didn't like was that some of the resorts report "big rig friendly" HA! not always. I couldn't get out of the site on one we stayed at until I disconnected the car and dolly so that I could back up about 10 feet and make the turn to get out.Anyone who hasn't done the 101 tour through the redwoods and Oregon coast, DO IT. it was fantastic.
More to follow as the DW enjoys here retirement.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #40

Next time on the OR coast, go to the Tilamook Air Museum also. The airplane collection is a bit thin, but the building is the attraction. It was a WW2 airship hangar, big enough to get six fully inflated blimps inside. The building is almost 200' high and about 350' across, and maybe 1700' end to end. There are no inside support pillars and the entire structure is made of wood. Only the corners on each end that support the doors are steel and concrete.