Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #1

Athens Ga to Gatlinburg

We are traveling up to Gatlinburg from Athens Ga area in June. What is a suggested route in our 30 ft ACE? Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #2

I prefer going over the smokey mountain other choose hwy 40 if you go 441 call ahead for road conditions they are doing construction

Old 05-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #3

The most scenic route is over the Smokys up Hwy 441. Around 40 is a long trip. The quickest route other than HWY 441 is going 75 to Chattanooga, then 75 to Knoxville then 40E and down through Sevierville. This is the way we go pulling our 43' fifth wheel. Just too many close tunnels for my liking going over the mountain.

Monty
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #4

Our family will be heading to Northern Georgia next week for a wedding in Canton, Georgia. I am thinking about adding a route up to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park on this trip. Seeing your conversations about this area, is U.S. 441 between Cherokee, N.C. and Gatlinburg Tn capable of being driven in a 33 foot Class A? My concern involves tunnels on the 33 mile stretch. golfmedic, above, indicates he goes a long way around to avoid them. Does anyone know if they have been updated to make them capable of handling RV's? Thanks.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabit View Post
Our family will be heading to Northern Georgia next week for a wedding in Canton, Georgia. I am thinking about adding a route up to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park on this trip. Seeing your conversations about this area, is U.S. 441 between Cherokee, N.C. and Gatlinburg Tn capable of being driven in a 33 foot Class A? My concern involves tunnels on the 33 mile stretch. golfmedic, above, indicates he goes a long way around to avoid them. Does anyone know if they have been updated to make them capable of handling RV's? Thanks.
There are lots of people that go over them in motorhomes and smaller TTs and 5ers. My 5er is 43' and 12'3" tall. I have seen a coupe of them scrape the top edges on the rounded roof of the tunnel when trying to stay away from the cars they are meeting. IIRC there are only 3 tunnels and they are not very long, but two of them are curved inside and kind of blind. If you are able to stay towards the center, even my 5er will clear, but I just haven't taken that chance. For a 33', I don't think you will have a problem.
That stretch of roadway is one beautiful area!
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabit View Post
My rev is 40 ft plus my tow I pull there are some step long pulls most of the time I push cars up and down the mountain as I stated earlier call for road conditions due to construction no need in sitting in traffic.