Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #1
Duo

Atlanta

Is there a best way to get around Atlanta going North to South?
Duo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #2

No....
Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #3
Community Administrator

There are by passes. However if it's during rush hours , they're busy as well. I always try to time my travels through Atlanta and every major City .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:39 AM   #4

I have done it both ways. We go through Atlanta a couple of times each year, and visit our kids (one in Marietta and one in Decatur) every few weeks. Now, I just suck it up and go through downtown when going through. If you are patient and vigilant, you will get through downtown faster than the other ways.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #5

Both I-75 and I-85 have HOV lanes that you can use with more than one occupant in the vehicle. Just be wary of the toll "Express" lanes - you need an electronic pass to use those.

Just avoid rush hours(especially Friday afternoon) and you'll be fine.
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #6

directly thru I75/I85 downtown... between 10am and 2pm, otherwise it will be a parking lot just like ANY roads in or around Atlanta, no matter what they are called. Don't take a 'bypass' to mean bypassing anything... it's just more miles of the same thing.

keep in the HOV lane if you have two or more people in your coach... there is no restriction to size or length for the HOV - it's the only way to keep your rig out of everyone's way, and gives you less on the driver side to worry about. It goes thru the whole of Atlanta on I75... starting at the South at the airport, and the North at the perimeter(I285) near Marietta and the new Suntrust Atlanta Braves stadium.

I never take the I285 perimeter - it's rougher, no HOV or express lanes, and just as congested.

If you are going or coming on I85 N or S, then the HOV lanes won't serve you as long, as they change to 'Peach Lanes' on the North side, which is a toll lane, though I've used it many times with three or more people and never had an issue, and I have no Peach Pass.

The South I75, below I675, have the 'Express Lanes', a new toll lane that is 'directional' depending on the time of day and traffic... but I doubt you would ever care to use that, it is only accessible if you have a paid pass. If you time your travel thru Atlanta carefully, you won't need it.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #7

There really aren't any alternatives to completely avoid Atlanta unless you're coming down I-85 wanting to catch I-75 towards Florida. In that case you can take the scenic and historic "Antebellum Trail" that joins 75 south of Macon.

We always take I-285 around the east side of town to I-675 to I-75 south to Florida. It can be slow at times but when traffic is moving, it can be raceway.
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #8

If you are going I-85 south to I-75, I take I-85 exit 149 to Commerce and Athens, and then pick up US 129 to Macon. Goes through some nice countryside to Madison and Oconee National Forest. There is a new Gray bypass that really helps. The route is about half an hour longer normally than taking the interstate, but with the construction on I-75 south of Atlanta, it is actually quicker, and much, much less stress.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:02 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo View Post
Is there a best way to get around Atlanta going North to South?
We bypass ATL all the time . If north to south on 75 then exit on to GA 53 at Calhoun then head towards Rome. At Rome Catch US 27 south (You can use the GA 1 bypass around Rome id toy'd rather not go into town); US 27 south to LaGrange. Left on GA 109 in LaGrange headed east 3 miles to I-85. Take I-85 north for about 2000 feet then I-185 south to Ft Benning. Then exit right onto the GA 520 east headed towards Albany then to I-75 at Tifton and south again. Reverse this if northbound out of FL.

This route misses all of Atlanta, 100% 4 lane and mostly 65 mph. A few stoplights in a town or 2, but zero traffic and nice countryside. Plenty of places to stop, rest, or sight see- or just blow on through to make time.

The only time I do ATL is on the 285 bypass is before 6 AM or on a Sunday- and even then it just isn't fun or relaxing- maybe thrilling?.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:48 PM   #10

It really depends upon what you mean by the word best. If by best you mean avoiding the stress of driving in Atlanta then there are plenty of good suggestions here to bypass Atlanta in exchange for a longer trip. If by best you mean the quickest or avoiding traffic then the only answer to that question is that it depends upon the circumstances at the time that you're passing through. The only way to navigate through a major city like Atlanta the quickest way is to use a GPS with a reliable traffic source and take the route that it suggests. Anything can screw up traffic in a major way at any time in a major city like that.
Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #11

How about south to north on 85?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
How about south to north on 85?
Depends on the time of day. Looks good right now, but Friday afternoon traffic is always the worst. That combined with heavy evacuation traffic right now. It could be bad all weekend.
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Foxtrot View Post
Depends on the time of day. Looks good right now, but Friday afternoon traffic is always the worst. That combined with heavy evacuation traffic right now. It could be bad all weekend.
How are the roads on a Sunday?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:23 AM   #14
doc

Appalachian Campers
For whatever it is worth to you, early (6-9 best) Sunday mornings is the best times to pass through. Up until noon will work unless there is a Falcon's game. The stadium is very near the intersection of I-75 (northside) and I-285.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote