RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #1

Atlanta avoidance routes

Hate the Atlanta traffic, even worse when towing! What route do yall take to try to avoid the ATL traffic? Thanks!

Strick54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 06:36 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I live north of Atlanta.. when traveling thru ATL, just time when you will go thru and then drive straight thru or take I-285 around it. It's really not bad as long as you avoid the times 6-9AM and 4-7PM. If you don't like the narrow lanes thru the middle of ATL, take I-285. Turn on WAZE and take the route it suggests to avoid any major traffic, accidents, events. Oh, and tune to FM 95.5 for traffic every 6 minutes during heavy traffic times and in the event of a major traffic accident.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:38 PM   #3

we avoid it like the plague. you don't say from where you're coming or to where you're going so...

we stay on I-65 to I-85 east in montgomery, al. get off at exit 9 (US 271/TO US 231). south abt 5-7 miles until 271mdeadends at US231. turn left and follow 231 thru troy, ozark and dothan to I-10. I-10 east to I-75, I-95, whatever. for us going to englewood, fl from chicago it was only about 45-min longer on average.
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:56 AM   #4

We recently went through there on our way from Illinois to Florida. Going down was middle of the day and it sucked. Coming home I missed rush hour through all the big cities and it was a whole lot better.
dirt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugmongous View Post
I live north of Atlanta.. when traveling thru ATL, just time when you will go thru and then drive straight thru or take I-285 around it. It's really not bad as long as you avoid the times 6-9AM and 4-7PM. If you don't like the narrow lanes thru the middle of ATL, take I-285. Turn on WAZE and take the route it suggests to avoid any major traffic, accidents, events. Oh, and tune to FM 95.5 for traffic every 6 minutes during heavy traffic times and in the event of a major traffic accident.
Agree totally! FM 95.5 is great from 4:30 am to at least 6 pm for traffic reports. Just drove it yesterday...😱 I stayed in the toll lanes and the HOV and avoided the wrecks.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
To and from is pretty important when dealing with Atlanta traffic.

The following is a little tongue in cheek and mostly true article I wrote a while back for someone asking about Atlanta traffic:
There are three major interstates, 85, 75 and 20 that come thru town. In their infinite lack wisdom, the powers decided to run the two biggest, 75 and 85, together in the heart of the city on what we lovingly call the Downtown Connector. In the middle of THAT they ran I-20 across it.

Then in order to ease traffic flow they build a loop, I-285, around the biggest portion of the city but don't add anymore lanes than the highways coming into. Then, adding to the excitement of it all they toss in another major highway, Ga 400.

Rush hour, once in the morning and once in the evening (and all day of Friday) can be exasperating to say the least. Many people describe it in more less than eloquent terms.

Despite all the problems, we continue to grow and have turned into a huge megalopolis (how about that word from an old country boy?) It is a rule that any plane from anywhere in the Nation must pass thru Atlanta. It is also a well known fact that the major radio station, WSB, stands for Welcome South Brother, welcomes all the northern types traveling through an coming here to stay. We were once described as 'the city too busy to hate'. Probably true, but we do hate the traffic it brings to the City daily but we love the money and business it represents. We hate it when someone starts with "this is the way we did it in Cleveland or Chicago or XXXXX" If it was so good there, then why are your here?

So stranger, welcome South and to Atlanta. Have a CocaCola with a chili dog from The Varsity or a breakfast from The Waffle House and a sandwich from ChicFila.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

We try to avoid Atlanta at all costs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
We would drive 50 miles out of the way to avoid Atlanta.

It's the biggest reason we don't go to the Atlanta branch of NIRV.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:06 AM   #9

I run I-65 S to 231 to I-10 to I-75 instead of taking I-75 all the way.

But depends on where you are starting and stopping.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #10

It has been several years since I did this, but if you go THROUGH Atlanta before rush hour (6 AM ?) of after rush hour (7 PM ?), it is really not that bad. Stay to the right, but watch for merging traffic.

Cincinnati is much smaller, but this trick has always worked for me there also.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #11

My route last spring. It was a comfortable relaxed ride. A few smaller towns had a bit of traffic but not a big deal.

Exit 75 at Adairsville and take 140 west.
Take 53 south heading to Rome.
In Rome get on US 27 south
US 27 to I-185 head south.
Get back on US 27 south of Columbus
Pick Up US 280 in Cusseta.
In Richland get on 520
In Dawson get on US 82
Take US 82 thru Albany and on to Tifton where you can re-enter I-75.

Most of this route has speed limits of 65 or 55mph. In March/April, there were extended periods where traffic was extremely light, except for in the few towns, we rarely got passed and I never exceeded the speed limit. Mostly 4 lane road was very good - better than most in Michigan. Saw many RV friendly gas stations, though we made this stretch without needing to stop.

As an alternate, you could stay on US 27 in Cusseta and take it down to I-10 in Tallahassee then back to I-75.

We stayed a couple of nights in both the Harvest Moon RV park in Adairsville and Reed Bingham State Park in Adel. Both were nice parks. We had pull-thru FHU in both.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:26 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We went thru there recently. I was surprised at how “not awful” it was. Of course, I live in Northern Virginia and the traffic I used to negotiate daily is biblical.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
My route last spring. It was a comfortable relaxed ride. A few smaller towns had a bit of traffic but not a big deal.

Exit 75 at Adairsville and take 140 west.
Take 53 south heading to Rome.
In Rome get on US 27 south
US 27 to I-185 head south.
Get back on US 27 south of Columbus
Pick Up US 280 in Cusseta.
In Richland get on 520
In Dawson get on US 82
Take US 82 thru Albany and on to Tifton where you can re-enter I-75.

Most of this route has speed limits of 65 or 55mph. In March/April, there were extended periods where traffic was extremely light, except for in the few towns, we rarely got passed and I never exceeded the speed limit. Mostly 4 lane road was very good - better than most in Michigan. Saw many RV friendly gas stations, though we made this stretch without needing to stop.

As an alternate, you could stay on US 27 in Cusseta and take it down to I-10 in Tallahassee then back to I-75.

We stayed a couple of nights in both the Harvest Moon RV park in Adairsville and Reed Bingham State Park in Adel. Both were nice parks. We had pull-thru FHU in both.
According to Google Maps, the above route is about 50 miles longer and takes nearly 2 1/2 hours longer than staying on I-75. I'll go straight through Altlanta thanks, avoiding rush hour.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:28 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As others have said, it is not so bad. Stay right and avoid the rush hours. I use the lane that is second (provided that there are at least four lanes) from the right on all major cities and that way I avoid the merging traffic.