Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Atlanta, GA.

In September I will be going to the Bounders of America International Rally at Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, N.C. My Microsoft Trip Maker is taking me to the Atlanta area. I have never driven through there before. What will I be getting into?

Jerry

jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
In September I will be going to the Bounders of America International Rally at Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, N.C. My Microsoft Trip Maker is taking me to the Atlanta area. I have never driven through there before. What will I be getting into?

Jerry

Jerry,

Is this a quick, there and back, trip or do you have any "smell the roses" time? Through Atlanta is just another big city. About like Dallas or Houston. Timing is everything. Early morning Sunday is best and Friday at 5 is worst. If you have some time then continue up I59 from Birmingham & hook up with I75 to I40 in Tennessee. Much less stressful and lots of nice scenery.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Steve, we will be in a time frame mode going to Concord. That is why I was inquiring about Atlanta. I have heard that it is a nightmare in a motor home.

Jerry
Old 06-07-2015, 02:30 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 31 foot MH with a tow dolley and toad.

By virtue of where we live sw of Atlanta we often have to go up I85 and around ATL to go northeast or east anywhere. Over the years I have come learn to go very early and hit Atlanta (before 6 AM eastern time) and get out on 85 moving northeast before the big morning traffic- or as an alternative after 8 PM at night. I use the outer loop on 285 east up to 20 or 85 depending where I am headed.

I have found road surfaces on the west side of ATL on the 285 bypass to be abysmal.

Outside of those hours (weekend excepted) I avoid ATL like the plague unless I have to go. After 9:30 am in the morning until about 2:30 PM one can still do it if you close your eye and take a real deep breath.

Weekends aren't as bad and are much less stressful- but one must check for construction first. Even weekends can be bad sometimes. Check GA 511/ Georgia Navigator web site Ga 511 for real time condition help. (you can cell phone 511 also)
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:32 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, Steve and Rascal. I will probably adjust my route. I will be going through Atlanta on a Monday. Don't know what time of day though.

Thanks again for your help.

Jerry
Old 06-08-2015, 06:58 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I sure wish I could share a sweet way to get there from Big Springs, but things do sometimes get "sporty" from the west side of Atlanta up through SC on I-85. Its doable, and I do do it, but its some of the least enjoyable RV driving for me and I've been from FL to AK.

Frankly not many roads I do like east of the Mississippi, but I do have to use them.

Maybe 20 to I 59 in B-ham, then to Chatt and I-75 Knoxville,then I 40 to Asheville and down into Concord???? I-40 has some mountain driving from Knox to Asheville, but its pretty country. I'm guessing you've heard how rough I-40 is from Little Rock to memphis so you might want to stay south on 20?
Old 06-08-2015, 07:38 PM   #7

How about I-10 to 95 in Jacsonville and then north. You can avoid the horrible traffic in Atlanta. Trade it for the Horrible traffic in Jax.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:46 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I appreciate the replies. I am going this way because last year I went on Run For The Wall. The annual ride from California to Washington, D.C. to keep alive the awareness of the POW/MIA's from all wars. I did not ride a motorcycle though. Health problems prohibit that. My wife and I decided that next year we both are going. The route that mentioned is the Southern Route. with the exception of going to Atlanta. I will be going to Birmingham and then to Chattanooga, Knoxville and then down to Concord. I had heard that going through Atlanta was a PIA. Thanks for the suggestions on rerouting around Atlanta.

Jerry
Old 06-11-2015, 04:50 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have safe and enjoyable travel!
Old 06-11-2015, 05:01 AM   #10

We just came through Atlanta on Monday in motorhome and towed. Used I285 around Atlanta and had no issues. Traffic was moving around 60 mph. It was around 9:30 am, and though heavy it was moving and we were not stopper and sitting still. I have found in my travels through Atlanta that sometime between 9:30 and 2:30 is the best time to avoid major traffic headaches. Good luck and safe travels.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
We just came through Atlanta on Monday in motorhome and towed. Used I285 around Atlanta and had no issues. Traffic was moving around 60 mph. It was around 9:30 am, and though heavy it was moving and we were not stopper and sitting still. I have found in my travels through Atlanta that sometime between 9:30 and 2:30 is the best time to avoid major traffic headaches. Good luck and safe travels.
I also just drove atl from north to south on a friday. left north side of town around 9am to let traffic thin out a bit. hit 85 south to 285 around the town to 75 south. traffic moved smooth and was never really problem. 34 ft with toad.

Coming into atl the week prior i thought i would try and avoid the interstate and take a little longer but back roads around............mistake. red lights every 1/2 mile and smaller and crappier roads and no way for traffic to get around me.

I drive atl a lot for work. it is all timing. people will be going into the downtown area in the mornings, out in the afternoon. avoid that and it is fine.