Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2015, 05:01 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Avoid Rawlins, WY

This summer, we spent the night in Rawlins, WY on the way to Yellowstone NP. As we left town, climbing a hill with our motorhome, we were stopped by a town policeman for speeding 50 in a 40 MPH zone. I checked my speed and I might have been traveling 42. My choice was to pay a 50 fine or hang around and go to court in two weeks. Guess what my choice was! The worst part is that my insurance rates are going up $120/yr on 4 vehicles for the next 3 years. This was my first ticket since the mid 1970s. If you can't avoid Rawlins, drive 10 under the limit.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 05:05 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Hmm... I was in Rawlins in 2013, drove the limit, and nobody bothered me.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:48 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I thought it was a great place to stop. Mine and several other motorhomes was in the Walmart parking lot.

I would advise people to visit not avoid. Watch your speed everywhere.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:00 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
perhaps a speedometer check is in order.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:26 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I love everything Wyoming! Been thru Rawlins several times--even on my Harley.

What kind of insurance raises your rates for one ticket in 45 years??? I think you better go see Flo and see if you're getting the best deal.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
FWIW, in most smaller jurisdictions, they will allow you to sometimes participate in a court hearing by phone, or in writing. Its worth a call to the clerk of the court if you're seriously thinking of fighting a ticket.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:57 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtjester View Post
FWIW, in most smaller jurisdictions, they will allow you to sometimes participate in a court hearing by phone, or in writing. Its worth a call to the clerk of the court if you're seriously thinking of fighting a ticket.
He already paid the fine I think, and that's probably an automatic "guilty" so his rates went up.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I can't remember how many times I went thru Rawlins on my way too California Had to stop with the Semi. I never had any problems. But then again pulling 80,000 pounds by the time I got up to speed limit it was time to turn...I also agree to not be speeding.
JS,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
You can get caught anywhere, anytime if you are speeding (and sometimes even when you are not) depending on the mood of the LEO and it can happen to anyone. Most of us are guilty from time to time, just not caught. For me, it's been about 22 years since I was caught.
I can tell you about Ellijay, GA... A major 4 lane Highway (515) runs through our little town where the speed limit is drops from 65 to 55 to 45. Lots of people ignore the speed limit and probably 99.5% get away with it. But, occasionally someone gets caught and it may not be the worst offender.
I think that for the most part most of us try to honor the speed limits of the places we pass through, and that is what the OP was trying to do in Rawlings.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ok, so it seems that the posters so far have an easier time believing that the OP was speeding as opposed a local yocal pulling over an expensive motor home from Georgia and writing him a ticket that he knows will most likely not be contested. The OP hasn't had a speeding ticket in 40 years. Gee, I've never heard of or experienced a cop that wrote a ticket just to generate revenue.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Better than Modesto CA where I was taken to jail before I could see the Justice of the Peace for swerving to miss a delivery truck that turned in front of me. I was jailed for illegal lane change becasue I was out of state. Watch all small towns no matter where they are. If you have out of state tags, driving an expensive MH, you are a target.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:57 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Better than Modesto CA where I was taken to jail before I could see the Justice of the Peace for swerving to miss a delivery truck that turned in front of me. I was jailed for illegal lane change becasue I was out of state. Watch all small towns no matter where they are. If you have out of state tags, driving an expensive MH, you are a target.

No truer words have ever been spoken!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:54 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Never had problems in all of WY. My GPS warns me of upcoming speed sign changes and my dash cam records idiot behavior ahead of me.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:30 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplante4 View Post
Ok, so it seems that the posters so far have an easier time believing that the OP was speeding as opposed a local yocal pulling over an expensive motor home from Georgia and writing him a ticket that he knows will most likely not be contested. The OP hasn't had a speeding ticket in 40 years. Gee, I've never heard of or experienced a cop that wrote a ticket just to generate revenue.
Wow, really find this offensive especially since my son and my son-in-law are LEO's one in FL and one in NY). Yes they do write traffic tickets as part of their assigned duties but you might be surprised to learn they have no problem finding people who are flagrantly violating the law especially when it comes to speeding. Also, they say they are more apt to give a visitor to the area a break than a local because they may not know the area.

Also, I believe all motor club/road assistance programs provide bail bond protection for those situations you are "out of State" so you can avoid being taken to jail.

I know I will get plenty of push back here but the best protection is driving the speed limit or below. Speed limits are set by engineers that take into account the road and many factors etc. It is the safe speed for "autos" in perfect (dry, daytime, and mechanically tip top shape vehicle) conditions as well as traffic patterns. Trucks (and motorhome, trailers etc) should be driving at a lower speed than posted (I was taught that in the military drivers training and I am sure truck driving schools teach something similar). Everyone should drive a slower than posted limit at night or when the dry conditions change, or their vehicle is not tip-top shape (needs tires, brakes etc) IF they want to drive the safest. Oh, and let's not forget some of the drivers on the road are not exactly in tip-top shape themselves when it comes to reaction times due to age, physical limitations (permanent-arthritis, eye sight etc, or something as simple as a sore back and you aren't moving as fast cause it hurts) or maybe over tired, or had a drink with dinner, or an argument with a loved one and your wound up a little.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote