Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Thanks for the tips, Linda. We'll put those in the hopper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
What is your wife's definition of "nice?"
When she points to one and says, "there's a nice one." Fancy driving is sometimes required.

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #16

Anybody ever take a 38 foot motor home northbound on 89A from Sedona to near Flagstaff? I'd never considered it. But today I witnessed a crazy person or an expert operator take 38+ foot MH with toad through Jerome.

TIA

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
Old 10-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #17

Getting Around I-5 & CA99 - Great Trip!

Now that we are home, it's possible to say that the goal of avoiding I-5 and CA99 was met. For the most part, roads were in pretty good shape - certainly better than I-5 and CA99. In addition to the exceptions mentioned in the "outbound" post above, there were some rough spots around Reno and on US395 in California. But on the whole, this was a much smoother and more scenic trip to Arizona than our traditional path through Sacramento and Bakersfield.

Our route is shown in the following link. Arizona 89A N to Carlsborg, WA - Google Maps

We moved from Dead Horse Ranch to Rancho Sedona RV Park to be closer to family who were staying at a hotel in Sedona-proper during the weekend. Rancho Sedona is pricey at $63.97 per night, all in. The value of this place depends largely on one's individual sense of esthetics. It's a really neat setting. Huge trees covered virtually all of the park. The cicadas were in full throat, breezes constant but gentle, temperatures high, and Oak Creek tumbled behind us. There was a group of javelina that hung out near the road leading to the park.

The showers and laundry were a bit of a hike and due to the trees there was little or no access to satellite TV. Our MiFi worked fine. All-in-all we enjoyed our three days there. Rancho Sedona RV Park.

Sunday we headed for Kingman, AZ, and stayed at Blake Ranch RV park just east of Kingman off I-40. This was one of the better values at $25.95, all in. Long, level, gravel pull throughs. Easy in and out. A little store. Near a Blue Beacon Truck Wash. This is the second time we've had the rig washed at this Blue Beacon and the second time it's poured rain shortly thereafter. The MiFi did not work here though we were told that the Verizon signal was good at the nearby truck stop. Satellite TV and AT&T cell service worked fine. Blakely Ranch RV Park

Monday we were on to Las Vegas to visit more family. It rained much of the way. Between Boulder City and Henderson near the intersection of US95, US93, and I-515, the southbound lanes were closed and the northbound side was down to 1 lane. It rained, hailed, and blew. By the time we got to Henderson, however, it was clear and sunny. We stopped at the Costco in Henderson to replenish the larder. We got sucked into that great big, mostly empty parking lot at the Galleria Mall but that was a mistake. You cannot easily walk from there to Costco. The boundary between Costco and the mall is more formidable than the one between Tijuana and San Diego. We wound up parking on the other side of Marks Street, east of Costco.

Spent the night at the Oasis RV Resort. It was our second time here and it suits our needs because it's near my sister's place. The resort aspect of it is lost on us but from all appearances it's very nice. The long and level concrete pull throughs are convenient and accessible. They have plenty of security. Showers are handy and the satellite TV and MiFi work well. At $47.38 for one night all in, it was fine for us. Oasis Las Vegas RV Resort

Tuesday we headed north up US95. Tonopah turned out to be a little too near and Fallon too far so we aimed for Mina, NV, and the Sunrise Valley RV park. Rustic and not expensive at $26.00. But the MiFi did not work here so we sprung for their Hughesnet satellite broadband for another $2.00 making it $28.00, all in. Still, given the location, we considered it a good deal. Clean showers, sites 4 and 5 satellite friendly but site 3 not, and nice owner/operators made us happy campers that night. Much unsettled weather with tornados in north-central Arizona and heavy rains up this far. Park owners said it rained 2 inches the previous day. Sunrise Valley RV Park

Next day it's off to Likely, CA, and Likely Place RV and Golf Resort. We don't golf but this is a beautiful setting and a bargain at $25.00 per night, all in. You need a flashlight if you head to the showers before dawn but it's a fair trade for clear skies and absence of city light glow on the horizon. MiFi and satellite TV worked well but AT&T cell phones did not work at all. They have a clubhouse with restaurant and a good breakfast special. It's 1.5 miles east of US395 plus another 1.5 miles once inside the park to your site. We really liked it and will make it a point to stay here when practical. As we headed toward US395 upon leaving Thursday morning, we came upon a small herd of cows being driven toward us by 3 cowboys. I stopped about 400 yards short of them and one of the guys rode up to the driver's side window. He said if we would continue toward them at about walking speed the cows would find it less unsettling to go past us. Sure enough the herd divided and walked past the coach with hardly a sideways glance as we idled through them. Too cool! Likely Place RV and Golf

As we headed into Oregon the roads got predictably better. Though it must be said that no place on US395 was near as bad as I-5 and CA99's rougher spots. We spent the night at Casey's Riverside RV Park in Westfir, OR. Paved pull throughs and another beautiful setting. The nose of the coach was about 25 feet from the Willamette River. The only sounds were those of the rushing river and the occasional whistle of a distant train. What a peaceful place. The price of the solitude was $37.28, all in. MiFi and satellite TV worked fine. AT&T cell phone was marginal but would work if one moved around in the park.Casey's Riverside RV Park

We had a noon appointment in Eugene, OR, for steer tires on Friday and aimed the Dipper at Wyatt's Tire. When we arrived, I unhooked the toad and unleashed DW on the local merchants. We both like Eugene/Springfield/Coburg. No sales tax, wide variety of merchandise and services, and it has many motor-home-savvy vendors. Some of the locals look a little worse for wear but I figured that was due to the brutal University of Oregon course work.

After the tires and DW's shopping foray we rendezvoused at Lane County's Armitage RV Park. This is a gem. Spacious sites, several pull throughs, pretty setting, and convenient location. The only thing missing is communal showers. Too, there is a $10.00 charge for making the reservation on the internet. Don't know if it applies to phone reservations. The website has the details. So for one night it's $35.00. It says that space 15 has good satellite TV reception but you have to stay closer to the entrance versus the exit of the site. Sites 2, 4, 6, & 8 should have excellent satellite visibility. Their free WiFi was faster than our MiFi so we used that. Lane County, OR, RV Park

On the other end of the scale is the Cummins Northwest parking lot with 50 AMP and water that is free for customers whether you're having work done or not (space permitting). Across the I-5 freeway is Premier RV Resort. Premier RV Resort

We've stayed in all three and it just depends on your plans and desires as to which makes the most sense on any given day. At the same I-5 exit (#199) as Cummins and Premier, there is a Pacific Pride that is open to the public with cheap diesel. Next door to Pacific Pride is a CB radio shop, Road Runner Electronics, (541) 344-3560. They have limited hours so it pays to call ahead.

After completing the loop from here to Sedona via Utah and back via Nevada, we are pleased with the route. We will probably make small changes in future trips but the main goal of avoiding California's rougher roads was achieved. A side benefit was seeing some new-to-us countryside. In most situations if there is something that falls short of ones requirements, there are options! Is this a great country or what!

FWIW
Old 11-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Dave and Cathy -thanks for all the info. We will be heading from Az to Washington in the spring. Will certainly use your input.
Loralie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Unhappy

I went through Goldfield, NV in April of this year and they had speed cameras set for 25 MPH. I was going north and going through town it was difficult to stay below 25 because of the downhill streets. NV has vehicles that are parked along side the roads or streets that have the cameras in them. Just be aware!!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Dave,

Good write up. If you are going to stay in Eugene before next April, I have a prepaid card for Premier RV Park that has three nights left on it. I will not be up that way before it expires, so I would drop it in the mail to you. We are currently at home in San Jose and will head south to Blythe around mid December. It is really nice to be on DSL/ethernet.

Luke
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeaa View Post
Dave,

...If you are going to stay in Eugene before next April, I have a prepaid card for Premier RV Park that has three nights left on it. I will not be up that way before it expires, so I would drop it in the mail to you. We are currently at home in San Jose and will head south to Blythe around mid December. It is really nice to be on DSL/ethernet.

Luke
Thanks, Luke. Good to hear from you. Sure, we'd be happy to have the Premier card! We'll be going through there in January on the way to Arizona and in February on the way back home. Will PM you with USPS address. We're in Port Townsend, WA, at the moment.

Are you going to get over to Quartzsite as a part of your Blythe trip?

Did you get that Falcon II tow bar?

Hope to see you this coming year!

Best,
Old 11-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loralie View Post
Dave and Cathy -thanks for all the info. We will be heading from Az to Washington in the spring. Will certainly use your input.
Thanks, Lee & Loralie. Glad you may be able to make some use of the information.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:30 AM   #23

In our ongoing effort to avoid CA99 and I5 in California, we're thinking of this route to get down to Quartzsite.

Western Washington to Quartzsite

Our route this fall going down through Utah and returning via Nevada worked well. However, in mid-January there are some high spots that might be snowy. I'm very familiar with the roads from Paso Robles to Quartzsite and Puget Sound area to Eugene, OR.

What I'm looking for is suggestions on routing through the Bay Area with the least hassle and convenient places to stop for the night between Eugene and Paso Robles along the route in the link above. Not interested in sight-seeing, just places with hook-ups to spend the night.

Thanks,
Old 12-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #24

It's a toss up but I'd suggest taking Hwy 116 from Petaluma down to Hwy 37 and over to Vallejo. Then I-80 south a few miles pickup I-780 to Benicia and head down I-680 to San Jose and pick up Hwy 101 again. I suspect you are less apt to get terribly heavy traffic on this route.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #25

Thanks, Bob. So more like this?

Western-WA-2-Quartzsite
Old 12-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #26

Yes, We live in Southwest Oregon and have kids, grandkids near Pleasanton, Livermore & Tracy, CA and we often use the route you show. We are Elks and break the trip at the Elks lodge in Ukiah if on 101 and the Elks loddge in either Redding or Redbluff if on I-5.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #27

The Scenery Was Nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiplomatDave View Post
Thanks, Bob. So more like this?

Western-WA-2-Quartzsite
Wow. There was good and bad in this route. Scenery was good - roads were no better than I-5 and CA-99. In some areas the roads were worse.

The scenery was spectacular along US-101 as it hugged the coast. The redwoods were cool too. But the condition of the highways in California keeps deteriorating.

The lack of RV parks and Diesel fuel along the above route was surprising. Nevertheless, we did stop at a couple of OK spots along the way. Will elaborate more later.

We're still in Arizona and will head home in about a week, probably via Bakersfield, Lodi, Eugene, etc.

FWIW
Old 02-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Dave and Cathy...where in Arizona? We are in Goodyear and will be leaving in March to head toward Sequim, Wa.
We don't have to be there till the middle of July, so we will do a lot of sight seeing on the way. Right now I'm thinking of going over to Joshua Tree, up to Barstow and then pick up 395 north with stops at Lone Pine to see Death Valley and then to Lee Vining ..... and on. Can anyone give me info on how 395 will be heading up through that area the end of March?? Thanks

Loralie is offline   Reply With Quote