Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Avoiding New York City in a motorhome

We are traveling up I-95 from Florida to Easton, Maryland, just east across the bay from D.C. I'd like to stay away from D.C. so want to make sure I can take a 40' motorhome through the Chesapeake Bay tunnels from Norfolk, VA to Easton, Maryland up Highway 13. Note:we'll be towing a car also.

From there we'll be heading north and want to bypass Philadelphia and New York City but with a stop in the New London, Connecticut area. At least bypass these areas as much as possible.

Never been in this area before, at least not while driving. So I'm hoping some of you can direct me to the better routes to bypass the major metro areas, while avoiding restricted tunnels, and bridges. I prefer not taking toll roads, but I also realize that's probably asking too much in these areas.

I was thinking about one of the routes that will take me around the west of Philly, then grab Hwy 202 north, then grab I-287 going north along the west of New York and Newark and follow it all the way around across the Tappan Zee Bridge over to meet I-95 near Greenwich. Does this choice make sense or am I making a mistake?

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Bob

Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bob:I would suggest once you cross the Tappan Zee Bridge continue about a mile then take I684 headed toward Brewster NY, the get onto I84 headed toward Danbury Ct, continue on I84 until you get to route 691 which will take you to Middletown Ct where you want to get on route 9 which will take you down to the shore and route I95, where you want to go north to get to New London; however if youer' going that far plan to see Mystic Seaport . There are several campgrounds in that area.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yes we are planning on stopping in Ole Mystic Seaport. The route you suggest is a lot longer then just continuing down to I-95 after the Tappan Zee Bridge. Is your suggestion due to heavy traffic on I-95 and/or other problems?
Old 04-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I95 is kind of a crap shoot. There are many times when the southern end can be tough due to traffic, but as you note, it is shorter. I'm not sure that taking that route around Philly is worth the trouble. Perhaps others will chime in on that one.

By the way - you are fine with the CBBT. You have to turn your propane off, and meeting a big rig in the tunnels keeps you on your toes, but it is a good ride.

We are going the other way - headed to the Outer Banks next weekend.

Travel safe.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #5

Coventryhale's suggestion is a very good one. Traffic is almost always congested. Moving from lane to lane with a toad is asking to discover how courtious New York drivers are. I 95 does not get drivable until you get east of New Haven in my opinion. The number of miles on a map and the amount of time required to travel a route are two different things. Last December it took me 16 hours to get from Richmond VA to north of Philly in New Jersey. I had that problem going in both directions. I figured if I took I 81 to I 78 and then got on I 287 to I 84 I would have saved 6 hours. But thats just me. Your experiences may be different. If you take I 95 and have a reasonable experience, please tell us how you did it.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:52 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info... and suggestions. Will let y'all know how it works out.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Bob,
I used to live in the Allentown, PA area. IMHO your best route is:

Easton to Denton, MD to Harrington, DE and US-13N.
US-13 N to DE 1 near Dover.
DE 1 to I-95N
I-95N to I-476N south of Philly.
I-476N to I-78E at Allentown, PA.
I-78E to I-287N in NJ, across the TZ Bridge and I-95N.

We have used these roads many times during various trips. My only gripe is that on I-287 there is virtually no place to take a break (if you need to).

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Unlike me you are doing the smart thing and getting advice. When I ended up in downtown or is it uptown Manhattan with my forty footer I knew it was time to think maybe I should look at look at a map rather than rely on a GPS.
New London was my Mothers home town although she left there in 1918 for California as a ten year old. Take a ride to Groton while there, interesting.

Don G.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #9

Howdy!

We'll be leaving Texas headed to Newfoundland next month. My GPS is also routing me through NY I 95. Been there done that don't want to get stuck in that traffic again. My rig is 65' MDT truck and 5er. I for one would rather pay for tolls than cross that GW bridge. Any recommendation for completely avoiding the area? Something like I 81 north to I 84 east, then I 90 east into Boston area?

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Old 04-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
FJF, thanks for the update. It appears some of the routes, DE-1 from Dover to I-95, and 476 to Allentown are Tollways. If this is correct how expensive might this be with a 40-footer towing a car?

Thanks, Bob
Old 04-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Bob,
Yes, DE-1, part of I-476 and the TZ Eastbound are toll roads. I have an EZPass and really don't remember checking my account to find the charges. With what we pay for fuel, I will tke the shortest, most convenient route, considering the cost for going the longer way.

FJF
Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Any recommendation for completely avoiding the area? Something like I 81 north to I 84 east, then I 90 east into Boston area?
Definitely!
If your travels take you to I-81 in VA or PA, that is the best route to CT and points East.

FJF
Old 05-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
DE-1 is a toll road. Two toll booths. Cars are $1 weekdays and $2 on weekends (for you tourists!). MH with a tow is probably double that. Be cautious near 1 and 95 interchange. Major construction. Consider 1 north to DE-13 north, to PA-202 north to PA turnpike. 202 is an busy road, can be congested.

bertman is offline   Reply With Quote