Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Avoiding Tornados AZ to Minn?

We'll be heading from the Phoenix area to SW Minnesota later this week and want to avoid as much "tornado country" as possible considering the craziness that's been going on in the middle of the country.

Last fall we enjoyed taking a route consisting mostly of byways and really liked being off the interstates. Problem is that route takes us smack through Kansas and Nebraska. I seem to remember hearing something about tornados in that part of the country this time of year.

Any route suggestions which would provide a look at some new country and still not put us in harms way?

Thanks

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #2

Rick ...

First, I don't think it is possible to be 100% safe from tornados ...

I travel cross country from Grand Island, NE to Worthington, MN quite oftern ...

1) US 30 from Grand Island, to Columbus, NE
2) US 81 from Columbus (through Norfolk) to US 20
3) US 20 east through and around Sioux City IA until US 75 until LeMars, Ia
4) Iowa 60 to Worthington

This is all good road

There are inexpensive campgrounds in
a) Grand Island, NE at Mormon Island recreation area
b) Columbus, NE at the fair grounds
c) south city limits of Norfolk, NE
d) on the banks of the Missouri river in South Sioux City, NE
e) city park in Le Mars, Ia
f) city park in Worthingon, MN

Le Mars is the ice cream capital of th world (at least the sign says that) ... home of Blue bunny

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Skigramp... Thanks so much! We'll check it out.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-09-2011, 12:58 AM   #4

Me? I would just go north up to I-80 or more. Cooler up there, lots of purty country between here and the northern climes.

I-40 and I-44 are embedded in my memory cells. Don't need to see that country no more.
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take it from an old Nebraska boy, you won't find a route to be "safe" from tornadoes, unless you go up through Colorado and stay as high up as possible, then up through the Tetons and then follow the Rockies up into Montana and into Alberta, again staying as high as possible. Once you reach Edmonton swing east then down to Minnesota......or just don't worry about it, pick the shortest route and have fun.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If you want to be on the sure side head up thro CO then into WY and across on the 90 thro SD and into MN. You could stop in Cheyenne and the the Black Hills on the way..both very cool locations.

We did much of that drive last year from Phoenix with a few extra stops along the way...see my blog if you want ideas on where to stay (Curt Gowdy, WY and Custer State Park, SD were 2 standouts for us). It's a beaut of a route.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys. We decided to stay toward the west and go up through Colorado. Our alternator began acting up as soon as we left home and stranded us in Albuquerque for three days. We got back on the road yesterday at 4pm and made it to Raton, NM before being stopped by wildfires that have had I25 closed for two days already!

Hoping to get through this am and are targeting either Loveland or Cheyenne to hang out for a few days.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #8

All this is a form of risk management.

Seeing as how you will be in a home on wheels, the prospect of you being swallowed up by a twister is negligible, especially seeing that those wheels which save you from such natural disaster, puts you in harms way from a traffic accident, which claims many more RV'ers lives than twisters, or other natural disasters.

All of this is IMHO of course.

Ed
USN Ret.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO

Hoping to get through this am and are targeting either Loveland or Cheyenne to hang out for a few days.

rick
If you need a spot in Loveland the State Park there is quite nice. Right by the lake and very relaxing. We spent a week there last year. Nearby American RV is a good service center, but hopefully you won't need it
Old 06-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #10
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lightbulb Free of T.................

Rick, I think you can't be free of those. Even in Edmonton, Alberta they showed up a while back. I phoned the Radio Station to warn them and they would not take me by my word!!!! Listen to a local Radio Station and hope nothing will come up on the radar...

Have a safe trip

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I recently downloaded the 'Weather Bug' app on my Droid. It 'knows' where you are and shows local weather alerts and even radar. I learned of it from another post.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the tips guys. Turns out our detour around the fire today took us much farther east than we had anticipated because I didn't want to drive the detour route they were proposing. We're spending the night in Seibert, Co and wanted to head to the Black Hills tomorrow but it's looking like nearly everything is full. We're still looking.

As for the advice about how I shouldn't be worried about tornados... believe me.... I'm not. This isn't about me it's about the DW and logic doesn't apply. But hey.... I'm out cruisin and that makes me happy.

thanks again...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-15-2011, 10:34 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
If you want to be near the Black Hills without a reservation there are several National Forest sites around Custer that accept walk-ins (first come first serve). There is one on the road to Crazy Horse that looked particularly nice if I recall. Check recreation.gov for details.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
If you want to be near the Black Hills without a reservation there are several National Forest sites around Custer that accept walk-ins (first come first serve). There is one on the road to Crazy Horse that looked particularly nice if I recall. Check recreation.gov for details.
Thanks! And you fit your 40 in there? We've never even tried a National Park for that reason.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD