Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2017, 07:15 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile Badlands trip

My husband and I are heading out for our longest trip to South Dakota, Badlands, Mt Rushmore. We are traveling from Ohio. Suggestions on travel route? We are heading up through Illinois to Wi & Mn.
KGrancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 07:54 AM   #2

We were in Fargo ND a few days ago and are in the Badlands now, we had SNOW in Fargo with very cold nights and lots of wind... we are currently 20 miles from Mt. Rushmore and the guy parked next to us.... has been here working on the Keystone Pipeline has been complaining about the weather... our path back to WA state through Wyoming has I-90 open and closed because of the weather...

Hopefully the path will warm and clear by the time we need to head that way..

Our travels on I-26 & I-80 were far enough south to avoid the bad weather...

I was surprised at the high cost of RV parks in and around the Mt Rushmore area, even when the parks are 75% vacant and some are still closed... we are moving on Monday...
Old 04-29-2017, 06:20 PM   #3

Enjoy the drive across S Dakota on I-90. Stop at Al's Oasis where I-90 crosses the Missouri River. Don't forget Walls drug. That would be impossible with all the signs. There is a very nice campground In Spearfish S Dakota. It's run by the city. It's reasonably priced, and the park is next to a fast moving stream. Simply beautiful. You won't regret staying there.
Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:31 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Expect some cold weather and some of the most beautiful country in this great US of A. We have been there several times in August as they sometimes see snow in May. I-90 is a very good road and will take you right past the bad lands. We like to stay in Custer, close to the State Park and most RV parks will be more than $60 per night and are well worth the price. Take a camera. Have a good trip.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:34 PM   #5

One of the fun stops in Seattle Dakota along I90 is the Pioneer Auto Museum.

http://www.pioneerautoshow.com/

It has an eclectic collection of cars and other antiques. Some of their cars have been on the American Pickers TV show. It's worth the stop for a tour and lunch in the '50s cafe.

When we came across there a couple of years ago, we also stopped in Lebanon Claire, Iowa and visited the Antique Archiology store from the same show.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would go across on I-90 it's the easiest and lots to see on the way and plenty of overnight campgrounds. Some locations to stop while enroute - Austin, MN the SPAM Museum good for a hour or so visit during the day. Next stop for less than half hour in Blue Earth MN right off of I-90 is the Green Giant Statue. If you haven't seen the Corn Palace in Mitchell SD it is one of those places you could see in a hour stop. Plenty of nearby campgrounds if it is time for a night stop. When we did the Badlands we also hit Deadwood, SD - plenty of campgrounds and public transportation from the campground and we went out of the way to the Devils Tower which we did in a hour and a half stop over. When did Mt. Rushmore we stayed in Custer, SD and visited Custer State Park. Almost too much to see in one area.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #7

Each national park has a great website giving things to do, maps, camp information, road alerts, etc. Here is Badlands. Note that if you're coming from the east you can get on the half-loop road leading into the park and then stay in the park's campground. Then continue on the loop to exit by Wall Drug or just drive straight through if you're not doing anything in the park other than looking through your window. It's a good road for RVers.

https://www.nps.gov/badl/index.htm
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGrancher View Post
My husband and I are heading out for our longest trip to South Dakota, Badlands, Mt Rushmore. We are traveling from Ohio. Suggestions on travel route? We are heading up through Illinois to Wi & Mn.

Passed through there about 2 weeks ago on I-90. Weather was fine then in the 60s. We did go down Rt 240 inside the park. Road quality was not great and we ended up going 7 miles down a dirt road (a road off of 240....called Big Foote Rd) to get back on I-90. I should have researched it better. I don't enjoy going over dirt road bridges with a 47K pound RV as the bridge weights weren't posted......but we survived and hade a fun time. It is a beautiful area that is quite unique to the rest of the country.

By the way, I-90 in SD is a very nice highway with 80 mph speed limit. We went that fast but shouldn't have as I didn't realize my tires have a maximum speed limit of 75mph.

Enjoy the trip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Badlands.PNG
Views:	81
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	160352  
GreyGoose57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #9

Don't forget the Corn Palace, the dinosaur dig, Dances with Wolves movie site and the rest area where the interstate goes over Missouri River. You can spend a couple hours there. Deadwood is interesting as can be. Be prepared to hang around for a while.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:58 PM   #10

At Chamberlain, SD there are three things that I recommend:
  1. the rest area just before you get to the Missouri River
  2. a campground in the city that used to be a Corps of Engineer campground
  3. Big Al's Oasis ... good food
There is plenty of parking for your rig at 1) and 3)

If you stop at Wall Drug ... go way to the back near the "dinosaur" there you will find a gallery of photos of what that part of the Dakotas was like 100 years ago ... very fascinating

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
At Chamberlain, SD there are three things that I recommend:
  1. the rest area just before you get to the Missouri River
  2. a campground in the city that used to be a Corps of Engineer campground
  3. Big Al's Oasis ... good food
There is plenty of parking for your rig at 1) and 3)

If you stop at Wall Drug ... go way to the back near the "dinosaur" there you will find a gallery of photos of what that part of the Dakotas was like 100 years ago ... very fascinating

I had forgotten about the pictures. Some people think the plains are boring. I think there is a lot to see and partake in! We have been to SD numerous times and see something new every time we go. Looking at a trip this summer to SD. I remember the campgrounds seemed a little speedy but you have to remember they have short season up there. They need a years income in about seven months or so.