Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2006, 01:21 PM   #1

Hi Everyone,

We are planning a trip from Baltimore, MD to Yellowstone passing through Hill City, SD. My main concern is that we are planning on staying in West Yellowstone, MT. (my planned route is to stop at Little Bighorn Battlefield on my way to West Yellowstone), but I am concerned about the last leg of the trip. I am planning on taking I-90 west and then US 191 into West Yellowstone. How is US 191 compared to I-90? We will be arriving in Hill City on June 11, 2006 and should be arriving in West Yellowstone on June 15, 2006.

I'll be picking up my 16 y.o. nephew and 13 & 11 y.o. nieces in Iowa to accompany our 8 y.o. son, so any other advice on must see and do things for the kiddies in the Hill City area as well as Yellowstone would be very helpful too .

TIA for any information.
Regards,
JBKRAB

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2006, 01:21 PM   #2

Hi Everyone,

We are planning a trip from Baltimore, MD to Yellowstone passing through Hill City, SD. My main concern is that we are planning on staying in West Yellowstone, MT. (my planned route is to stop at Little Bighorn Battlefield on my way to West Yellowstone), but I am concerned about the last leg of the trip. I am planning on taking I-90 west and then US 191 into West Yellowstone. How is US 191 compared to I-90? We will be arriving in Hill City on June 11, 2006 and should be arriving in West Yellowstone on June 15, 2006.

I'll be picking up my 16 y.o. nephew and 13 & 11 y.o. nieces in Iowa to accompany our 8 y.o. son, so any other advice on must see and do things for the kiddies in the Hill City area as well as Yellowstone would be very helpful too .

TIA for any information.
Regards,
JBKRAB

Old 01-03-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

US-191 heads south from Bozeman. It's a very nice drive. There are no serious grades or twisty curves that will bother you on this route. Actually, it's tougher climbing Bozeman Hill on I-90 as you approach Bozeman from the east than it is driving US-191. Yet, it is very scenic as you drive through Big Sky and the Gallatin Canyon. It's the easiest way to get into Yellowstone and West Yellowstone is a great base camp. We plan on staying at Grizzly RV Park again this summer.

If you want a more adventurous ride you could take US-212 in from Red Lodge and then either the Beartooth Highway or Chief Joseph Highway into Yellowstone but, while manageable, these are some very steep and twisty roads. The scenery is unparalleled but if you are asking about the conditions on US-191 you may not be comfortable on US-212. Check out the thread on Beartooth Highway Mudslide in this forum for more info and pics of that area if you are interested.

As to the Black Hills, be sure to drive through Custer State Park. The wildlife loop and Needle Highway are great drives. Also, don't put too much time into the Black Hills if you are going to Yellowstone. There's so much more "E Ticket" (now I'm dating myself ) ) stuff in Yellowstone than in the Black Hills so put most of your time into Yellowstone.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:53 PM   #4

Thanks Cruzer,

I would love to take the other routes if the kids weren't with us, plus I didn't want to add more time in the truck than necessary, thats why I chose US 191. My nephew wants to help out with the driving a little bit, and I plan on letting him try the rig out on the isolated stretches of I90, I just wanted to know what I was heading for, especially with nearly a 600 mile stretch I have between Hill City and West Yellowstone.

This is our first trip out to Yellowstone, my wife and I plan on going back in a few more years, this is really more for the kids to spend time together. I do remember "E" tickets too.

We plan on staying at Grizly RV Park as well. It has been highly recommended by co-worker.

As for Hill City, SD we will have to see what the kids all want to do, I don't mind shaving a day off of SD and applying it to Yellowstone, but the "restless wonder's" may not want to do that.

Regards,
JBKRAB