Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2014, 06:02 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Attached below is the complete regulation from Maryland. Note the highlighted area. Propane used for heating is allowed as long as the flame is extinguished before entering tunnel and amount carried is 100 lbs or less.

.04 Tunnel Restrictions.

A. This regulation does not apply to fuel contained in the fuel system of the transporting vehicle, or in the fuel systems of vehicles and equipment being towed or carried.

B. Flames used for heating vehicles or loads shall be extinguished before the vehicle enters any tunnel or its approaches.

C. The following classes of hazardous materials are prohibited from being transported through any tunnel or its approaches, as indicated:

(1) Forbidden materials and forbidden explosives are prohibited;

(2) Class 1 explosives are prohibited;

(3) Class 2, division 2.1 flammable gas is prohibited, with exceptions for propane, LPG, CNG, LNG, and other flammable compressed gas in U.S.D.O.T. approved containers, in quantities not to exceed 10 pounds gross weight per container, and 100 pounds gross weight per vehicle;

(4) Class 2, Division 2.2 nonflammable compressed gas is prohibited, with the following exceptions:

(a) Argon, compressed,

(b) Argon, refrigerated liquid,

(c) Carbon dioxide, refrigerated liquid,

(d) Compressed air in containers only, although this is prohibited if in tank vehicles,

(e) Helium, compressed,

(f) Nitrogen, refrigerated liquid,

(g) Nitrogen, compressed, or

(h) Oxygen in containers only, although this is prohibited if in tank vehicles;

(5) Class 2, division 2.3 poisonous gas is prohibited;

(6) Class 3, flammable liquid is prohibited, with exceptions for motor fuel and petroleum-based products in U.S.D.O.T. or Underwriter's Laboratory approved containers in total quantities not to exceed 5 gallons per container and 20 gallons per vehicle;

(7) Class 3, combustible liquid is permitted, with the exception of formaldehyde solutions which are prohibited;

(8) Class 4, division 4.1 flammable solid is prohibited, with the exception of fusees in quantities not to exceed 100 pounds per vehicle;

(9) Class 4, division 4.2 spontaneously combustible materials are prohibited;

(10) Class 4, division 4.3 dangerous-when-wet materials are prohibited;

(11) Class 5, division 5.1 oxidizers are prohibited;

(12) Class 5, division 5.2 organic peroxides are prohibited;

(13) Class 6, division 6.1 poisonous materials are prohibited, with the following exceptions:

(a) Arsenic in any form or compound,

(b) Tree-killing or weed-killing liquid compounds,

(c) Cyanide of potassium,

(d) Cyanide of sodium,

(e) Drugs, chemicals, medicines, or cosmetics, not otherwise specified, liquid or solid,

(f) Insecticides, dry, or

(g) Motor fuel antiknock compound;

(14) Class 6, division 6.2 infectious substances are prohibited;

(15) Class 7, radioactive materials are prohibited, with the exception of manufactured articles such as instrument or clock dials, electronic tubes of which radioactive materials are a component part, watches, X-ray machines, smoke detectors, etc;

(16) Class 8, corrosive materials are prohibited, except batteries;

(17) Class 9, miscellaneous hazardous material is prohibited, with the exception of oils, N.O.S., with a flashpoint not less than 93°C (200°F); and

(18) Other regulated material: ORM-D is permitted.

D. Tank vehicles which are empty, or which have a residue of not more than 50 gallons, or vehicles transporting empty containers are prohibited from entering any tunnel if they previously transported a prohibited hazardous material, with the following exceptions:

(1) Tank vehicles or containers that have been sufficiently cleaned of residue and purged of vapor to remove any potential hazard;

(2) Tank vehicles or containers that have been reloaded with a material not classified as a hazardous material;

(3) Tank vehicles or containers whose previous cargo was:

(a) A Class 3 combustible liquid,

(b) A Class 8 corrosive material,

(c) A Class 5 oxidizer, or

(d) A Class 5 organic peroxide; or

(4) Completely empty containers whose previous cargo was a Class 3 flammable liquid.

E. Tank vehicles used to transport Class 3 flammable liquids, even if empty, are prohibited from entering any tunnel.

F. Notwithstanding the restrictions in §§A—E of this regulation, vehicles transporting hazardous materials prohibited from entering any tunnel may use:

(1) The Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway from the Child Street entrance ramp in a southbound direction only;

(2) I-95 northbound to the Key Highway exit ramp south of the Fort McHenry Tunnel, and from the Keith Avenue entrance ramp north of the Fort McHenry Tunnel; or

(3) I-95 southbound to the Keith Avenue exit ramp north of the Fort McHenry Tunnel and from the Key Highway entrance ramp south of the Fort McHenry tunnel.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
The Verdict is out - YES, NO, YES, No... you could call or try your luck. Being from Maryland, I have never heard of anyone going through. But it may happen.

Here is the number for then 410-537-1374.

Here is a excerpt from " MdTa Toll facilities" Q&A

Why can't I take my RV or camper through either the Baltimore Harbor or the Fort McHenry Tunnels?
Regulations govern the transportation of certain hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's harbor.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:41 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc8375 View Post
The Verdict is out - YES, NO, YES, No... you could call or try your luck. Being from Maryland, I have never heard of anyone going through. But it may happen.

Here is the number for then 410-537-1374.

Here is a excerpt from " MdTa Toll facilities" Q&A

Why can't I take my RV or camper through either the Baltimore Harbor or the Fort McHenry Tunnels?
Regulations govern the transportation of certain hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's harbor.

The problem here is that a Class A carrying a permanently mounted tank is not carrying bottled propane. In any event, some folks feel secure in crossing the tunnel and some do not. I really don't think there has ever been a definitive answer to this topic. This topic has come up many times on several different forums. Some folks claim to have called, and I have seen conflicting posts as to what was said. Like I said before, I have done it at least a dozen times with nary an issue. I am not guaranteeing that it is ok, so make your own decisions, and do whatever you feel comfortable.

Has anyone with real world experience in a Class A ever been stopped going through the tunnel? If so please pipe up and relay your experience.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Cbones - Has anyone with real world experience in a Class A ever been stopped going through the tunnel? If so please pipe up and relay your experience.

Your correct that it is not clear however; the 50 plus contingent that I have RV with over the years from Maryland, drive around.

It your search the Net, you will here comments about folks being fined.

Another regulation on the old tunnel - "vehicles in excess 96 inches (8 feet) in width are prohibited from using the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:40 PM   #19

That someone sneaks through the tunnel and nothing happens doesn't mean that it is permitted.

One crash at the bottom and one large RV tank ruptured and that would be the end of everyone in the tunnel.

Tags
propane