Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #1

Bar Harbor to Chicago via? Canada or USA

The summer loop will be Texas to Bar Harbor to Chicago and returning to Texas.

I'm looking at the map and thinking Canada would be slightly shorter. We have passports so that's not a problem. What are the other issues and is it worth it to hug the north side of the great lakes or just stay in the US with the truck and TT?
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2017, 08:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Many years ago we did that trip in reverse (Chicago to Bar Harbor) we choose to take the Canada route. At that time were were towing a TT. Great fun trip! Of course back then you really didn't need passports.... sigh... enjoy!
Old 01-10-2017, 04:58 AM   #3

Remember fuel prices are higher in Canada.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:11 AM   #4

We are adding up the expenses as well.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:30 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thru Canada from Detroit to Watertown NY is at least 1 hr. shorter drive time FWIW. Did it back in 80's in a car in 6 hrs.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:33 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
It really depends if you are going to linger and enjoy what Canada has to offer, or drive straight through. If you are just making time I would stay in the US because it s simpler, cheaper and does not subject you to the time and potential aggravation of two customs encounters.

However if you have time to savor the many wonders of Canada then I would say go for it. There are many lovely spots to visit in Canada along that general route. Just a few of them are Quebec City, Montreal, and in Ontario there is Toronto, Kingston, the Thousand Islands, Niagara Falls, Niagara-on-the-Lake, and my personal favorite, Ottawa. You could easily enjoy many weeks seeing these sights and each one is worth a trip in itself. If you have a shorter time available then you will be challenged to decide which to see and which to bypass. Canada is a wonderful place to visit, with lovely people and lots to see and do.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:37 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Canadian National Parks are free this year, though it might be hard to find a site.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:06 AM   #8

Unless you're on a tight timeline, or you want to see Toronto and / or Montreal, I'd recommend the southern route.

US 2 to US 11 and then either along the lake to Buffalo or I 81 to I 90.

The scenery along that route all the way to Lake Ontario is fantastic, especially the mountains.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In days of old when I went from Detroit to Niagara Falls, Canadian path was an option. Alas, no more. At least not without a lot of lead time.

NOTE: Though I will mention the President, this post has very little to do with him save for what I mention.

Like President Obama, my mother re-married and her new husband adopted us "kids" (My brother and I).

It took the President three years to get a copy of his birth certificate..

IN order to obtain a passport I need a copy of my birth Certificate (Edited of course, I'm not supposed to know my birth father's name, even if I know it).

So,, I'm not visiting Canada again any time soon.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #10

Jimbow,

As you may have already surmised, you have lots of choices.
There is a lot of beautiful country if you go north of the lakes.
If you re-enter at Saute St. Marie, then you have to take a day to watch them flush ships through the locks. If you are museum types, the Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point is good (but I can't go there again - it hurts too much).
If you go across the New York Thruway to Buffalo the tolls are something, but the ride is nice. If you do go that way, do not re-enter at Detroit. (Never, if it can be avoided.) Take the 402 to Port Huron and go from there.
If you decide to go south of the lakes, Run I-88 to I-86 (the Southern Tier) as that is non-toll.

We go into Canada a lot as my wife has family there.

Do you know about Canada and firearms?? This is no joke, find out before you go.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #11

I don't carry on vacation. I use to work in Mexico and know second hand not to mess with gun laws in foreign lands.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Did the trip - Chicago to Bar Harbor a couple of years ago. Although the number of miles may be a little more, staying in the States is faster. Google Earth will confirm. Our interstates are hard to beat, if you're looking to make time.

We're going back to Bar Harbor this summer, and are looking to take the north route on the way back in Canada. I'm looking for camping advice in Quebec. Last time through (15 years ago) wasn't happy with the camping. I'll post annew thread.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:48 PM   #13

We made the trip back in '08 from west MI up through the Soo and across Canada 17 to Ottawa where we dropped down 416 and crossed into US at Ogdensburg, NY and across to Maine on state hwys. for the scenic factor. We are never in a hurry when traveling, so that was not a factor. 17 was NOT the nicest road back then, but maybe they fixed that since then.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #14

Thank you. Yes we should have four or five days to make the drive.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.

Tags
ada, canada