Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #1

Baton Rouge to Mesa via I10

We are planning on leaving 28 Dec. headed west and plan on 350 to 390 miles a day. We were wondering what we can expect as far as weather conditions this time of year. Is there generally any snow to contend with on I 10?
Thanks
Harry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Funny you should ask as a fellow traveler posted this just yesterday.

iRV2 Forums > RV CAMPING FORUMS > Crossroads - About Traveling
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
I-10 in the Lake Charles area is atrocious. I had kitchen cabinets open up and empty onto the floor - which never happened to me before.

other than that, I-10 is a nice ride all the way to Mesa (did it back in January). Once you get past Ft. Stockton, TX you will be in the mountain area of west TX and I did hit snow there back in January. Roads were just wet, but snow accumulated on the non road surfaces. Ft. Stockton RV Park is a popular stop along that route. Right off of I-10 with a little cafe that serves good food. Thru N.M. it can be windy, just watch the weather reports.

there are a couple of interesting stops along the way if you have time. Las Cruces, NM has White Sands Missile Range and National Park. Around Tucson you'll pass the aircraft graveyard. if you have any interest in aviation, you can stop there.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Once you leave the San Antonio area, plan your fuel stops, as it does get rather far between fuel stops out toward El Paso.

Otherwise, as John noted, just watch the weather...and it can change fast.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #5

Baton Rouge to Mesa via I 10

Thanks for the reply TXiceman especially about the fuel stops after El Paso, TX. I just used MS streets and Trips, Google Earth and IExit and planned our stops based on 450 miles per tank and with this it gives me a margin of error of about 150 miles. Our coach is getting about 8 mpg so I think I will be comfortable with these distance but will keep an eye on the fuel gage and the report I printed from the research I did. As for the wind I hope it isn't as bad as the wind in South TX coming back from the Rio Grande Valley in March. We have hit some good head winds and cross winds aproximately 35 to 40 mph. Our coach weighs in excess of 45000 lbs so I will just slow down and take what comes. I have been in some rough winds in Montana that ripped the big slide out awning off the big slide on our old coach, 40 HR. So I'm not a stranger to winds but thanks for the warning.
THANKS
HARRY
Old 12-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Harry thanks for the post. We will be right behind you coming I-20 to I-10 where they join together in TX. We leave SC on Jan 1st.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Harry

West of San Antonio there is a Love's at exit 523. There are Flying-J's in Ft. Stockton, Van Horn and El Paso. There are also 2 truck stops in Junction but I forget which brand (one might be a Pilot). With a 450 range you should be OK. But I top off every chance I get so as to not have any problems. I think the truck stops are increasing in that stretch of road.

Earlier this year I took the trek from Kerrville, TX to Tempe on that route. I don't remember the Flying-J in Ft. Stockton or Van Horn so those may be new.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the weather and road conditions on I-10. We will be traveling from San Antonio to Santa Monica around 2/1 to 3/2 with many stops. We are starting form NY on 1/2/2014.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #9

F-J in Pecos also. Watch the prices within 100 miles of Odessa each way, oilfield work has picked up again so prices may be pretty high. Scarce RV park spaces also, although not that many to chose from in that area. Some nice RV parks around Benson, AZ and nice one in LaCruces, NM. I have headed to Phoenix in late Feb for many years, if weather permits I often travel the I-40 route since I live more in the northern part of TX, NE actually.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #10

Mesa via I 10

Thanks for the information about Odessa but we will be traveling on I 10 so we won't be going through there. Thanks to IExit,MyDat Truck Service, Google Earth GasBuddy,RoadAhead and all you guys on IRV2 I have most of my fuel stops programed. I even have been able to find a Catholic Church and stop for church at one of our stops along the way. Got to keep in good with the Guy upstairs.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
We drove I-10 from I-95 to Kinder, La. Yesterday and today. The road is as good as anywhere, with the exception of about 30 miles around Lafayette, La. This section has a lot of expansion joints, but nowhere as bad as it used to be. Diesel was $3.67 at the Tiger truck stop west of the Mississippi River bridge. Have a great trip.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Be sure to spend a day in Tombstone, AZ
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:31 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
hydro45640,

What sights would you recommend in tombstone?

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote