Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #1

Question BC to AZ ?

We're first-time RVers planning to drive down from Osoyoos to the Phoenix area in a few weeks. I'm concerned about the condition of the roads at this time of year and I don't want to be installing snow tires just for the sake of this drive, of course. Can anyone give me some itinerary advice or nice soothing, comforting words of encouragement?
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #2

Get to Twin Falls, 93/318 to Vegas, 93 to Phoenix.
Eaglesview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #3

Barring an early snow, 97 to I-84 then east should not be a problem in October. Keep an eye on the weather reports.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I were you I would take 97 to I-84 W to I-205 S to I-5. Plan to stop in Canyonville, Or for the night. They get the best road reports. I have never had to wait longer then 2 nights even in Jan and Feb with this route. Plan on hitting the pass south of Ashland a mid day and you will reach French Camp easily before dark.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been driving to Las Vegas in Nov for the last ten years and I head east out of seattle and then south east through Salt Lake City and on to las Vegas. It is faster and better roads than going down I-5 which I do going to Sacramento.

This year I will be taking a Motor Home for the first time, but will still take the same route. Only concerns is the construction on I-15 which appears to be a on going thing (forever time wise), but only a few miles of the over all trip.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochisme View Post
I have been driving to Las Vegas in Nov for the last ten years and I head east out of seattle and then south east through Salt Lake City and on to las Vegas. It is faster and better roads than going down I-5 which I do going to Sacramento.

This year I will be taking a Motor Home for the first time, but will still take the same route. Only concerns is the construction on I-15 which appears to be a on going thing (forever time wise), but only a few miles of the over all trip.
I'm thinkin' road construction is the major industry in Salt Lake City. The construction (destruction?) on I-15 there has been going on for the past three years.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I'm thinkin' road construction is the major industry in Salt Lake City. The construction (destruction?) on I-15 there has been going on for the past three years.
Only THREE? Seems much longer to me!!
Old 10-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #8

it will take another 3 years just to fill the pot holes let alone realign it.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
After getting down to Twin Falls I would take 93 all the way down to Vegas . Very good road mostly flat. Seems like long lonely stretches, but I have done it twice.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #10

Many thanks to you. And you. And you, too. And you, over there. And ... heck ... to ALL of you! I appreciate the feedback.
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
After getting down to Twin Falls I would take 93 all the way down to Vegas . Very good road mostly flat. Seems like long lonely stretches, but I have done it twice.
Yeah 93 is not bad, if you don't die of bordom watching the sagebrush go by... Two Lane road also, but in good condition as I recall from my two trips on it returning from Las Vegas
Old 10-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
You would do well to have the following with you and download the links to the states departments of transportation you will be going through. Check the weather each morning prior to departure to make sure it’s not snowing. Oregon Scientific Weather Radio WR-608, get the AC/DC adapter, keep it plugged into a receptacle which is powered on all the time so you get the weather alerts. This time of year the weather can change in 12 hours, and you might get snow.

With that said and depending on your route, many suggestions provided in earlier thread to this topic, however, weather is you big obstacle. If you are heading south out of BC, I would head south into the USA into Washington State, and you won’t have any worries until you get to Southern Oregon. If you head east on I-84, you have a high steep past just past exit 216, which takes you into the blue mountains, and then it heads southeast. My preferred direction would be to take the Highway 97 south at Biggs Junction off the I-84. The reason is once you climb up on top of the cascades you stay up and don’t have as many hills to climb, the bad side is you are between 4500-5500 feet, so watching the weather is very important. This route takes you back to I-5 at Weed, CA.

If you choose to stay on I-5, you will have 4 passes you must climb and descend one of which is Mt Ashland, and you head into California just south of that one. You won’t have any more hills until you get to Mt Shasta, then some tight curves and ups and downs. If it is not snowing, you will be fine. Once south of Redding, you are home free. See the thread in this section about I-5 Construction. http://www.dot.ca.gov/ - Is a link you should keep on your computer.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:03 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I just used Google Maps to see where the heck "Osoyoos" BC was at. Looks to me like US-97 is the route for you to take south out of BC down to I-90, then west on I-90 to junction with I-82, where you would head south again.

I would stay on I-82 to the junction in OR with I-84 which then heads east south east (Watch for the long uphill grade just east of Pendleton, OR) to either the junction with US-93 or a little more to the junction with I-15. Either one will take you to Las Vegas (They join just north east of Las Vegas), then take US-93 out of Las Vegas to Phoenix, AZ.

Just after leaving Las Vegas you should get to cross the new bridge over the canyon just below Hoover Dam (I think it is open now) and look to the north east and see the Dam and Lake and to the south the Colorado River running down the canyon below the dam.

Have a safe trip what ever route you end up taking and enjoy the sights.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #14

Hey Road Ranger, Just wondering what route you ended up taking ? And were there many areas with very high elevations ??
heritage2006 is offline   Reply With Quote