Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #1

BC to South Carolina???

Trying to decide how to get home from the Canadian Rockies. Since we are already that far north, we planned to stay in Canada from Calgary east to the UP of Michigan (visited last summer) and then south home.

However, I don't know anything about Canada in that area? From limited research, it seems like we may see more sites if we drop into Montana and catch sites in ND, SD, MN. We have been to Glacier, YS, Tetons, Black Hills, Badlands. However, revisiting those might be more worthwhile than Canada?

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #2

Besides the cost of fuel IMHO yes you would be far better off heading south. What part of BC are you? Have you visited BC wine country yet? From there head south and east. A visit to Grand Coulee dam and dry falls should be on your list. From there US2 or I90 i to MT. Custer Battlefield, Black Hills, MT Rushmore, not to mention Yellowstone and maybe Glacier parks
Old 05-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #3

Traveling east, you could check out the Jasper, Banff area. The Columbia ice fields are between the two. Very scenic area. Lake Louis is very pretty. Once you leave the mountains into Alberta, there is very little to see going across the prairies until you get to Ontario. The travel time back to Ontario or Michigan is close to the same on either side of the border. The lower fuel cost on the US side, and more scenery would get my vote. Since you are heading south anyway, you might be able to cut the corner somewhere, and save even more time.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #4

We will have come north up the Pacific Coast, through Vancouver and east to LL, Jasper and Banff. We need to work our way south east from there. Sounds like you are confirming to drop down into the states before heading eastbound from there. Yes, the cost of fuel is a motivator, but at the same time, don't want to miss anything special in Canada.

Looks like I'm doing about 800 miles in Canada if I do that. 2300 miles in Canada if I go with my first plan. Not that it's about the fuel, but I don't know if there's a single worthy site along that route in Canada?
Old 05-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #5

Didn't see the second reply until after I posted. Seems like an easy decision. Thanks guys!
Old 05-07-2019, 11:21 PM   #6

I'd also advise dropping down in the lower 48 from Calgary. It will be prairie lands all the way across Canada unless you head north again.

Take Hwy 2 across the U.S. Fort Peck COE in Montana is a nice restful place for a night or two. Big sites. Duluth, Minnesota would be a very good stop. Here's a great write-up on it:

https://wheelingit.us/2016/08/12/lig...eer-duluth-mn/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote