Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #1

bear tooth pass

I am leaving shortly for Yellowstone with my 35 ft a class and towing a car. I would like to go through beartooth pass but my wifr is afraid it is too close to steep cliffs anddangerous to drive in an rv. Is it worth seeing and how hard to drive it? thanks you
Quincybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #2

It is absolutely one of the most spectacular drives in the country. Don't let her talk you out of it. It is not to be missed. There are some steep sections, but the curves are not as tight as some roads I have been on. There are also no spots where you feel like you are in danger of falling off the mountain. I have never had the slightest trouble towing my 5er over it, and I am a flatlander from Illinois.

Stop off and enjoy the view at Rock Creek Vista. Just west of Island Lake, a stop at the Top of the World store is worth while. If you get there at the right time, stop for dinner at the Cooke City Cafe. the food is excellent and very reasonably priced. Their beer list runs to several pages.

Enjoy the ride.
Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been over Bear Tooth Pass in my CR-V. I'm glad I did not try it with my 38 foot MH. The best food in Cooke City is at Buns n Beds.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have driven the Bear Tooth Pass in my toad but not in my 37 ft. Class A. I am not a nervous driver at all but I wouldn't do it in my motorhome. It is a fabulous drive which can be better enjoyed in your toad. My wife would have been very nervous if we tried to drive it in the mh. She was nervous enough in the car. That being said, if it is your only route or you only have the mh, then it can be done.

2016 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35DK towing a Chevy Equinox
cappelte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
It's just too long and intense a drive to be enjoyable in an RV. We take the toad and it's GREAT! Too much work driving an RV over the pass.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #6

Do not do it! There are many tight switchbacks, definitely not for a MH. If you make it up you may not have any brakes coming back down and you will holding up sooooo much traffic.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I enjoyed it so much I turned around and did it again the next day for a return trip. Off course I was on a motorcycle. I would not take the mh over it and I am sure the wife would kill me or be walking if I tried it. It is a great ride.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
views are out of this world....but not towing or driving a mh...
Old 08-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
Great ride, but if you want to see the views you will be too busy trying to stay on the road and off the yellow and white lines in a MH. Some will tell you how great it is in a MH but they never take into account those behind them or those they are meeting coming the other way. Make your own choice, but remember there are others on the road besides you.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #10

If you like challenges ... like driving in your lowest gear, stopping every switchback to let the pile of cars behind you pass, staying between the yellow line and white line ... etc ... then this route is for you.

My wife talked me into taking this route in our '99 gasser .... half way up I was not sure that we would still be married when we reached the top ...

Fortunately the scenery at the lookout gave me time to cool off ...

WE ARE STILL MARRIED!!!

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #11

The trip is fantastic.....if she is nervous get her drunk or else send her ahead or even better....trade her in and keep finding more new adventures
Old 09-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #12

I reallly do not understand all these horror stories. That road is not really difficult to drive. It requires a little care, but that is all. If a flatlander from Illinois, like me, can tow my 5er across it with no trouble at all, thyen anybody else can too.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Joel, I have road across the Bear tooth pass 4-5 times on my Harley, and If asked about driving a 35-40 Coach towing a toad across it.........no way, leave the Coach at Yellowstone or Red lodge and drive it in the auto simply to enjoy it more and to easily pull over in a seconds notice to sight see or hike around the mountain lakes. This road is the most scenic road we have road on in our travels of the 48 states.(hit all of them on the Hog) Enjoy it and take your time. It will be a drive that you will talk about for the rest of your life. Your 27' fiver would pull a lot different across the pass as compared to a 40' Coach w/ a toad.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #14

Here is another good idea. Camp in Cody and use the toad to drive both the Bear Tooth and Chief Joseph scenic highways. The drive from the east entrance of Yellowstone to Cody is also very scenic and can be easily done in the MH. You can probably make it driving the MH on Beartooth but it will not be enjoyable. You won't be able to stop on the shoulder of the road to see wildlife or unique views and parking at the scenic look outs will be difficult if they are crowded. Cody is a wonderful town and the museum is great. This was my dream trip and now I dream about going back. Have a great time and make sure you give yourself enough time to see everything. To add some added dimensions to your trip stop at the roadside historic markers and read.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote