Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2015, 10:56 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Bear Tooth Pass

We are heading west in august, going thru Co,Wy,SD, Montana, Alberta and finishing in Vancouver B.C.

We're laying out a route and are wondering if the Beartooth in Montana would be too much of a challenge for our rig. I've a copy of the "Mountain Directory West" and it does look like a ride I'd love on my bike, but a 38' Monaco, I'm not so sure.

Does anyone have experience on that road.

I'd also love to hear any thoughts or ideas on our proposed western swing.

btw, we flat tow a fiat sedan.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
It's a beautiful road, but we did it in the toad. I would not be comfortable taking the MH over it!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #3

Years ago I believe I went over this pass but it was on a Harley. Beautiful country for sure. We will head thru here after Sturgis this year. I need to check my Mountain book and see what it says.
Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:07 AM   #4

Can you post the highway # or the cities that the pass is between , I can't find that pass on my map, and don't remember that name from my travels.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Can you post the highway # or the cities that the pass is between , I can't find that pass on my map, and don't remember that name from my travels.

Here ya go.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beartooth_Highway

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Bear Tooth

It's Montana route 212 between Red Lodge and Yellowstone
Old 06-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackman View Post
It's Montana route 212 between Red Lodge and Yellowstone
OK then thanks.
On the WY map and 10,900' Don't think my old coach would handle that altitude unless I installed a second turbo.

If traveling into Vancouver B.C. and using a GPS system, make sure it's fully up-dated. Big signage starting 25 miles out , saying not to trust GPS, due to major changes in highway routing and widening.
Seems the GPSs figure ; from your location that you've gone off the highway on an off-ramp and go nuts trying to re-calculate and put you back on route, when you have never left the highway.
Have the latest city, paper map you can find handy, you're probably going to need it.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:31 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We did it last year in a 25' Winnebago View- (kind of like a sportscar compared to yours) and it was one of the highlights of our 11,700 roll. Our little Motorhome drove perfectly up & down.

We passed a few Motorhomes & 5th wheels of your size, and none of them were were holding up traffic. There were some hairpins that would put the coaches over the line (on the tailswing) but people driving the bear tooth are all up there for the Vista, so no big deal

I do not have any experience with the effect of the toad

I would go for it, if I were you-we only come this way once- just pay attention & pull over to let the rest of the folks go by if they que up behind you (I did)
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:33 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
GPS

I'm definitely a map guy. My experience with a GPS is all bad.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
I've driven every route in and out of Yellowstone. I'd not suggest Beartooth Pass in a large RV. You'll enjoy it more in a car. You could enter at the East Entrance, through Cody, WY or the North Entrance through Gardiner, MT. Cody has a wonderful place to spend the good part of a day, Buffalo Bill Center of the West, Cody Wyoming.
The Gardiner entrance is the historical entrance, with the Roosevelt Arch. It leads right to Mammoth Hot Springs and Fort Yellowstone.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I'll echo what others have said. It is a glorious ride on the motorcycle, but it would not be a lot of fun in a motorhome. I've seen some on it, but they were white knuckling it. I have been over it on a Goldwing four times and it is one my favorite routes of all time. The Chief Joseph Highway just southeast of there is also great on a motorcycle, but not a motorhome. That is Hwy 296 east to Hwy 120.

There is (or was four years ago) an RV park named Painter's Outpost on 296 just a couple of miles southeast of where it splits off from 212. It was a little rustic, but a good location to base camp and ride the two highways.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I'll echo what others have said. It is a glorious ride on the motorcycle, but it would not be a lot of fun in a motorhome. I've seen some on it, but they were white knuckling it. I have been over it on a Goldwing four times and it is one my favorite routes of all time. The Chief Joseph Highway just southeast of there is also great on a motorcycle, but not a motorhome. That is Hwy 296 east to Hwy 120.

There is (or was four years ago) an RV park named Painter's Outpost on 296 just a couple of miles southeast of where it splits off from 212. It was a little rustic, but a good location to base camp and ride the two highways.
Was wondering where a good spot would be for the night and then ride the bikes during the day. Thanks. Just looksd it up and we would be coming from the east. Any reccommended rv park on the east side of the pass before going over Bear Tooth pass?

I remember some lodge with gas pumps somewhere along that stretch but cant be 100% sure. Anybody know of a lodge thru there and what the name is?
Old 06-03-2015, 09:47 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excursion 33 View Post
Was wondering where a good spot would be for the night and then ride the bikes during the day. Thanks. Just looksd it up and we would be coming from the east. Any reccommended rv park on the east side of the pass before going over Bear Tooth pass?

I remember some lodge with gas pumps somewhere along that stretch but cant be 100% sure. Anybody know of a lodge thru there and what the name is?
There is a lodge around Silver Gate or Cooke City, just outside the northeast entrance to the park. I don't know where you mean by east side, but there are some RV parks in Red Lodge, MT.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
There is a lodge around Silver Gate or Cooke City, just outside the northeast entrance to the park. I don't know where you mean by east side, but there are some RV parks in Red Lodge, MT.
I need to check my map and then I could be more clear. Thanks. We are staying at the South entrance and will figure it out. I cant remember if we were coming or going from YS when we rode over the pass as it was many years ago.