Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
wgb

Beartooth Highway

Looking for advice on driving the Beartooth highway from the east on our way to YELLOWSTONE. 31ft MH not pulling a toad. Don't want to miss the scenery, but are concerned about switchable and grade.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
U can, but I wouldn't, did it in a car.

A the top U look down, you will see the switchbacks .....a ton of them

jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #3

We did the Beartooth Hwy last year. It's a gorgeous drive but not for large vehicles. As jimbo2013 mentioned, there are lots of switchbacks. You can't see around the curve to see what's coming and in a vehicle that long, you would have to swing into the other lane to make the turn when you're in the inside lane. The road is narrow. Really narrow. The summit is about 11,000'.

Here is one of the "milder" switchbacks. It's nearer the top.

BUT... no doubt there have been those that have done it and others that will do it. We wouldn't.
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would go right to www.rvcruzer.com His posts on this forum have been great about the Beartooth Highway. You can do a search on here and pick through what you find or go right to his website and find some very detailed descriptions of Yellowstone with photos.

2008 Honda Pilot/Racked out with Old Town Kayaks
Slapshottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with the recommendation to check rvcruzer's web site for a lot of good info on driving in that part of the US.

I would not hesitate to do the drive in your 31' coach if it is in top mechanical condition, especially if you are not pulling a toad. We drove the Beartooth from Red Lodge, MT over to Yellowstone in a 2002 Winnebago Journey 36' pulling a 2008 Ford Explorer. The drive up the switchbacks from the east is slow going but it was really not a problem. It is a beautiful drive for sure, one you will not forget. RVcruzer recommends disconnecting the toad until you get up the switchbacks depending on your equipment. We did not and had no problems. We did it in late September so hot weather was not an issue.

There is an alternate route using the Chief Joseph Highway which Cruzer describes on his web site.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Chief Joseph Highway is ok, but no cake walk
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:05 AM   #7

We did it on the Harley what great ride. Make sure your tank is full of fuel.take your time you'll love it
Old 08-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #8

We did it in a '99 Adventurer (v-10) towing.

It is slow going and a couple of the(right turn) switch backs are so sharp that you protrude into the oncoming lane and have to wait for the traffic to clear before completing your turn.

I did this before I bought a "Mountain West Directory for RV's" ... it was my wife's idea to go this way ... there was some doubt about half way up how long our marriage would last ... we laugh about it now ... but that day it was not exactly the most joyous time we have spent in our 55 year marriage.

I bought the Mountain West Directory soon after ... and check it carefully so I know what I am getting myself into.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
did it back in 86 with a 33ft gas Winnie and had 4winnies following me. none of us towed.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:00 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
did it back in 86 with a 33ft gas Winnie and had 4winnies following me. none of us towed.
forgot to add we did it in August. Check road conditions 1rst Snow possible at times
Old 08-27-2014, 10:08 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
forgot to add we did it in August. Check road conditions 1rst Snow possible at times
also forgot to add that my wife would not sit up front with me had my 10 yr old daughter up front with a camera taking pics of the rigs behind me that were actually along side ..me because of the switchbacks.As one of the guys called them "kiss your a-- switchbacks"
Old 08-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgb View Post
Looking for advice on driving the Beartooth highway from the east on our way to YELLOWSTONE. 31ft MH not pulling a toad. Don't want to miss the scenery, but are concerned about switchable and grade.
Looking for advice? How about just an opinion

Can it be done? Sure, as others have mentioned. Would I do it? No. Especially in a gasser since I wouldn't have an engine or exhaust brake. The drive would be a real test on the brakes and transmission. We drove it in a car. The grade is really steep, but the killer for me (in a MH) is the very many tight switchbacks. And the roadway is not very wide with sections having tight guide rails and narrow shoulders. For me it would be a white knuckle drive, especially since many of the sightseers in other vehicles are doing just that... sightseeing! We actually had another vehicle rear end our car while heading down the mountain into Red Lodge, MT.

The view in the car was simply breathtaking! If you drive it in the MH I can guarantee you'll experience a spectacular view

Ditto on the value of having a copy of the Mountain West Directory.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 08-28-2014, 10:00 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can be done yes, would I do it H@@@ no. I like to enjoy the scenery and like to pull off often. We could do that in our Explorer, even some few side trips but would not be able to in the MH
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #14

Beartooth Highway

BTH is great! And it would be a shame to miss it. I did it with 38' gaser. The brakes got a workout for sure; but nothing damaging. And I always had good brake. It depends on a multitude of things: your vehicle, your confidence, your willingness to let other backup behind you until you can pull over and let them by; and, finally your ability/willingness to keep your speed slow and under control. It helps to know how to brake (periodic slowing vs. riding pedal) and how to use your transmission to keep speeds reasonable. I'd go for it...wait a minute, I did; and very happy I did not miss the experience. Good luck.