Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #1

Beartooth Highway in a Class A

Does anyone know if it is recommended to drive on the Beartooth Hwy in a gas motorhome towing a car or should I just do a side trip in a car?
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not knowing the drivers mountain driving experiance makes this difficult to answer. I have driven it both ways several times with a 35" gas pulling a toad with no issues. There are some steep grades so using lower gears is a must, a grade brake makes it much simpler. So I would have to say it's very doable but not a good place for somone with no mountain experiance to learn.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Do a side trip in your toad, you won't regret it.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie
Does anyone know if it is recommended to drive on the Beartooth Hwy in a gas motorhome towing a car or should I just do a side trip in a car?
PM Cruzer, he has been over that route many times. Check out his pics in the gallery.

We have only been over on a motorcycle. It was an easy trip but COLD:-). Snow on the 4th of July in Yellowstone. Brrrrr
Old 06-18-2011, 05:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
Do a side trip in your toad, you won't regret it.
Ditto, plus with the toad you can stop in places that you would not be able to with the MH. On our trip we saw two Grizzlies while heading out of YNP, we could turn around with the toad to go back for pictures.

There is a fire tower with a visitor center that you might be able to access with your toad. It was closed last year as they were doing renovations to it. Here is some more stuff to see and do:

Welcome to the Beartooth Highway in Montana & Wyoming

It makes for a great day trip from YNP.

Bob
Old 06-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
We did with the Toad and I enjoyed it much better than if we used the MH. It's do-able but would be a lot of work. It was a great side trip!!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:48 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Stay in Cody at the ponderosa campground. Take your toad to Red Lodge and come back on beartooth US212 and Chief Joseph 296. Fantastic!
Old 06-18-2011, 07:18 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I might add that going north from Red Lodge there is a 13 mile 10% downgrade as you head toward Billings.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

There's no downgrade between Red Lodge and Billings. The downgrade is between the Beartooth Mountans and Red Lodge. You don't want to take a class A northbound from Cooke City to Red Lodge. If you need to do that take the Chief Joseph Highway. But, you can take it southbound from Red Lodge. For more details on that check out my Beartooth's tutorial at Beartooth Mountains for more details. The only tough part of the Beartooths is that 10% climb leaving Red Lodge. We've taken that with a 33' gasser, a 40' DP, and the 42' DP with no issues. One thing we do is unhook the toad and Leann follows for the climb up the north face after leaving Red Lodge. It lessens the load on the RV's engine plus it's much easier get into the various pulloffs, which you'll want to do for photo opportunities as well as common courtesy to any drivers who get behind you. There's also an article in the current issue of RV Magazine on Yellowstone and the Beartooth Highway.

My webpage also gives you an alternative. If you don't want to tackle the north face you can take the Chief Joe and pick it up halway through. In thatr case you would spend an extra day at the Red Lodge KOA and tour the Beartooths with your toad.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #10

Thank you everyone. I am staying in Cody at the Ponderosa right now while waiting for a part for my refer. After reading the responses I will keep my exploration of the Beartooth Hwy limited to the Chevy Equinox. Thanks.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Denis,

Hope your trip is going great. We're really looking forward to heading up to Yellowstone via the Badlands, Blackhills, and Glacier this Fall.

Would love to read a trip report from you when you get back.

Travel safe and enjoy one of my favorite parts of this country.

Fran
Old 07-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Grunt and a Chug

I just did the route from West Yellowstone, Old Faithful, Inspiration Point, Mt Washburn, and the Beartooth Highway. I was at 15mph some of the way on the BTH. Would have been nice to have more torque than that produced by the ISC 360. Probably should have unhooked the toad. I wonder what the grades are? The Wyoming portion was the worst as the roadway is very narrow. Sign at the bottom recommends no travel with vehicles longer than 40'. The toad followed within the track of the rear wheels in most hairpin curves. I did it a few years ago on a Gold Wing. If you must, it is doable but not fun.