Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
Beaumont, TX to NOLA

We have never been in Louisiana before and are hearing that I-10 is in poor condition. Any suggestions on what route to travel to NO to take in the scenery, and not shake our coach to death? We're considering 190 out of Beaumont east to I-49, then south on 90 to NO. We're planning to stay in Bayou Segnette State Park. We're open to suggestions and are leaving Beaumont tomorrow. We have two days to get to NO. Thanks!

Nancy & Bill
05 Seabreeze LX 8321
Nancy & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nancy & Bill,

You're probably just as well off to take I-10. There's not that much of the rough spots left between Texas and Baton Rouge. I haven't been that way but have heard I-10 between New Orleans and Baton Rouge is OK. You really don't want to go I-10 from New Orleans to the Mississippi line unless you have plenty of time and can drive real real slow. For the few miles of rough spots in western Louisiana just slow down a bit. I've been the TX 12/LA 190 out of Vidor all the way over to Port Allen and it's no real gem. It has it's own rough spots and is a slower drive. If you just want to drive slow and look at the scenery, the route you mentioned is OK, but I cannot vouch for the US 90 portion south of I-10.

Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I-10 East Houston is not the best, but not the worse either. We traveled it last spring towing a 5er and the only problems we had was on the return. We went into NO from the East side (Mississippi side) and that is one heck of a roller coaster ride. Had to slow down to 25 mph or less. The dips were so close together it would bounce you all around. Going in on the West side (Beaumont side) is as stated above, no problem.

Watch your speed going over the Atchafalaya swamp. The bridge is about 18 miles long and patrolled by aircraft with ground chasers, but being from Texas, you probably alrady know that.

Happy trails.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #4
The info given so far on I-10 is pretty current. Can't help on Beaumont to State Line. Still some construction E. of Lake Charles for about 10mi. but road is newly surfaced just some lane restrictions. From there to Lafayette, smooth as a baby's bottom. East of Lafayette to the Atchafalaya Spillway is concrete with some hop over the joints. Try to cross the Miss. River bridge @ Baton Rouge before 3PM as it gets pretty hectic at the Jct. w/ I-110. There is some construction E. of Sorrento but nothing big. Since you've got an extra day, try staying in Lafayette, several RV parks near I-10. Lots to do there and excellent dining, actually better then New Orleans. Going to Bayou Segnette, take I-310 S., Boutee/Houma to US 90(+- 10mi.) Go E. on 90 thru Avondale and then bear right on Business 90, 2mi. to Park on Right. It's a nice park even without a lot of the trees which were lost in Katrina. $9 with Golden Passport. Our favorite sites are in the 40s and 90s. Get ready to watch lots of Rabbits, they're everywhere in the AM & PM.
Enjoy and come hungry.
Dave, Miss Sue and Lucy the Scotty
00 Windsor, 40', Grand Cherokee Limited
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote