Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Kids are coming home from Navy end of Jan. want to take them to Fla. We have a wedding in Vero Beach. Hauling a fifth wheel and have never traveled out of NE area. need best advice on directions, how far south in one day we should expect to go, any campgrounds near Wash. Dc so we can bring our exchange students also and let them see the sights of DC. Also advice on good cgrounds near Vero and near Disney world. Not to high in price. Thanks so much!!!
kathyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Kids are coming home from Navy end of Jan. want to take them to Fla. We have a wedding in Vero Beach. Hauling a fifth wheel and have never traveled out of NE area. need best advice on directions, how far south in one day we should expect to go, any campgrounds near Wash. Dc so we can bring our exchange students also and let them see the sights of DC. Also advice on good cgrounds near Vero and near Disney world. Not to high in price. Thanks so much!!!
Old 01-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi buddyboy1,
Welcome to iRV2. Your post is a tall order to fill. Here goes my view:
1. How far each day depends on weather and the time of day you hit the major metro areas. Time your travel to avoid major metro area during the morning and evening commute hours.

2. For a CG near Washington, DC try Cherry Hill Park, 800-801-4669. They are near where I95 connects to the DC beltway. A bus takes you to the train that takes you into DC. For a tourist, this is much better than driving into DC.

3. Near Disney the choice could be Tropical Palms, 800-647-2567. It is next to DW property.

4. For Vero Beach try Vero Beach Kamp, 877-589-5643 or Sunshine Travel RV Park 800-628-7081 or Whispering Palms RV Resort 800-414-0814.

A word about cost. Once you hit the Carolinas' and South, you'll find we are "in season" with Snow Birds. Over 11 millions RV come to Florida each winter. Whatever you find, be thankfull you get a spot. Call now for reservations.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Thanks for the info! We are also looking into military parks... son is just discharged from NAVY. Heard there are military parks he can access. Good point about calling ahead.
We are thinking about cabins at parks as well. State parks up north have cabins. Don't know about the south though. We have a 34 ft. fifth wheel and I'm scared chicken to take my first long trip!! Don't know how some of you full timers do it with your 40 ft. rigs. God bless yas!
Old 01-07-2008, 03:01 AM   #5
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,
Hey buddyboy1,

Welcome to iRV2 I think it's the best RV site out there !! Also thanks to your kids for there service to us & the Country !!! I agree with GaryKD about Cherry Hill Park it is not realy cheap, but it is the best campground for visiting DC !! Also I just stoped at Camp Pedro at South of the Border NC-SC line, nothing fancy but they have an indoor pool & sauna which is nice !!!

As far as first long trip being scary ?? Think of all the scary things you have done in life, and also how borring our life would be if we did nothing!! I say go for it and I am sure you will be happy you did !!!!!!

Also since your from Vt, check out the NorEasters group!! We have been geting togeather a few times a year with each other since June 2000 !!!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some advice on your trip to FL for getting out of the Northeast and staying at military campgrounds. You have lots of options as you can see from the info folks have already posted. I wouldn't sweat it. It sounds like your doing the right thing by looking for advice from those who have done it. My feeling is if you can survive the roads in the NE you won't have any problems. Not sure what you are doing out of VT but if you get over to I-87 South in NY it will lead you to the Garden State Parkway (GSP) in NJ. If you are exiting New England via MA and CT no problem take I-84 to I-684 South located just over the NY state line. Follow signs to I-287 West Tappen Zee Bridge. You don't want to miss this exit; if you do you will go from a good day to a bad day quickly. After the Tappen Zee follow signs for the Garden State Parkway South it is around Exit 14. Trucks are not allowed on the GSP. RVs and buses are OK. There is a 7 mile stretch of low overpasses around the 137 mile marker. Stay in the center two lanes and you will be fine. There are several warning signs for the low height and the overpasses are well marked. My motorhome is 12'8" and I have no problems. Between 0900 and 1500 hours traffic moves well. Get stuck in rush hour and you will use language that even your kid in the Navy has never heard.

The GSP is a good road, smooth no bumps. The lanes are a little narrow in spots and there are tolls. You will have about 4 that will average $1.00 each for you. Exit the GSP onto the NJ Turnpike (I-95) South make sure you get in the truck lanes. Follow this all the way to the Delaware Memorial Bridge. If you want to avoid I-95 traffic get on Route 301 South just over the bridge. You will have some traffic when you first get on 301 in DE and a small pocket of traffic in MD Southeast of Washington DC. The rest of 301 you can run 55-60 mph with no traffic to just north of Richmond VA.

If you want some info on family campgrounds (FAMCAMPS) for military members check out www.militarycampgrounds.us You can also check out the military forum here on irv2.com. I have stayed at the Andrews AFB FAMCAMP just outside Washington DC and it was great. Be advised in order to use these campgrounds your kids will need a valid military ID. If they are being discharged and on terminal leave their IDs will be good until terminal leave runs out. Tell them I said thanks for serving and I am glad they made it back.

2008 Honda Pilot/Racked out with Old Town Kayaks
Slapshottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Thanks so so much for all your help. I'm getting more chicken by the minute. i;m thinking of going to Albany NY and south on 87 from there and seeing what routes I can take west of going anywhere near 5. I'm also thinking of trading a invite to a nice couple or family with lots of great kids to stay at our Site with a View, on our hilltop overlooking Vt/Mss/ and Ny in exchange for someone setting up a route for me. We need to leave on the 5th. of Feb., driving a 2003 silverado 2500 8ft full cab sits six, and towing my 13 Ft + high 34 ft long bb Wildcat fifth wheel. I have gps, and the one thing I'm concerned about is how to avoid low bridges..overpasses and the rest of the story.
Anyone want to take me up on the exchange, I may be nuts but hey...RVing is for folks who take care and help each other!!
Old 01-12-2008, 05:19 AM   #8

buddyboy1,

Concerning clearance here is site you may go to. I'm not to computer literate so not sure if the link works.

http://www.aitaonline.com/Info/Road/...learances.html

To add to what slapshottr said concerning FAMCAMPS you will also need proof of insurance in addition to your sons ID card to enter the base.

I PM'd you with some gouge last night on your trip. I travel from west of Concord NH to Va Beach quite often. And from VA Beach to Miami too many times to count. Slapshottr gave you a good tip concerning 301. My M/H is 13' tall and when I tow the boat or toad I'm quite long and have had no problems coming strait down 95 however it is not the preferred route. That whole corriedor is timing depentant.

V/R
Jeff
AAL747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:09 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Send me an email at Billandpeg2 at Verizon.net and I'll be happy to lay out a couple of routes for you with stops. No exchange necessary but it's a great thought on yourpart.CAn't give you the military camp grounds but I can give you a days travel info with some distances and easy access parks for overnight.
Believe it or not, it's actually a very fun trip.
Bill