Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #1

Best Route: Denver to Anaheim, CA. in November/Thanksgiving

We plan on travelling from Parker to Anaheim, CA for Thanksgiving and would love some advice (best route, do's/dont's, driving is snowy weather, overnight stays, etc.) Our RV is typically winterized and stored around this time but a slight change of plans this year has us heading out for our annual CA trip a little later than normal. Any pointers/tips would be appreciated!

Some info about the rig: 2005 Coachmen Cross Country 354MBS. No tank heaters, single pane windows, I believe all the water lines are routed above the basement/storage area, and heat comes from the basement.
w1kk3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #2

It seems you have two major choices on how to get to Barstow, CA ..
  • West on I-70 and SW on I-15 ... better part of 900 miles
  • South on I-25 and W on I-40 ... better part of 1100 miles
There is high country on both routes ... and possibilities for winter storms that time of year ... I would suggest that you use the interstate forecasts on weather.com to make your final decision the day that your depart.

Snow storms have caused me to lay over for a day on both I-70 (Utah) and I-40 (New Mexico). I don't drive on highways that do not have at least one lane clear ... others do ... but I am not in that big of a hurry!

I would not worry about your plumbing freezing unless the temps fall below 10 or 15 degrees for a long period of time ... carry a couple of ceramic heaters and or trouble lights (incandescent bulbs) to provide some heat in the basement when the overnight temps are cold.

Dump and stow your sewer hose .... fill your water tank and stow your fresh water hose ... please don't ask how I know that

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #3

I would never try I70 at that time of year.I25 to I10/I8 would be my route.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #4

It seems to me that the first snow fall in the FLAGSTAFF I-40 area is the Sat. or Sun . of the Thanksgiving weekend. Not always but most of the time. The Students going to NAU wreck on the Sunday in the snow and ice, near Navajo Army Depot.

Joe
Old 09-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
I would never try I70 at that time of year.I25 to I10/I8 would be my route.
Rich, I assume this route would take me driving south to Alberqurque, then to Phoenix, and finally entering California via I-10? I looked up your suggested route on Google Maps and this is what it came up with.
w1kk3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #6

I25 south goes to I10 east in New Mexico connecting east of Tucson Az.I10 goes to I8 south of Phoenix and into San Diego.All south and snow free!