Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV CAMPING FORUMS > Crossroads - About Traveling
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Best route: Florida to New England

We are looking to drive our Class A and toad to New england this summer. I haven't driven that in an RV yet and from last memory, I wasn't thrilled about driving it in the past in a car.

Does anyone have a suggested better route to go to avoid the big cities, like Wash.DC, NYC and the NJ Turnpike?

I have thought about going up to the PA. area then cutting across.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks as always

Tipaulfla

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
A route we've used several times that avoids the cities you mentioned:
I95N to US17W in Fredricksburg VA to I66W to I81N past Winchester VA to Scranton PA to I84E past Newburgh NY (Toll bridge) thru CT into MA. A few more miles but many less tolls and much less traffic.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #3

Up I95 then hit I77 north and then I 79 north to Erie Pa then I 86 east to I88 east then I 87 north and from there where ever you want in New England.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I tried thatI-78 to I-81 from NY to FLA this past Dec. Would never do it again. Too many hills used more fuel and it was only suppose to be 1.5 hours longer "not". If added like 4 hours to the trip. If you plan your timing correct you can get past the major cities without any trouble. I leave Long Island NY at 4 AM breeze right through to NJ over the GWB. Take the NJ Turnpike to Trenton, Take I-195 west to I-95 about 20 min. then I-95 south to Delaware missing the tolls on the NJT and the Delaware bridge.Gets me to Wash. around noon. Take the I-695 go around over the Key bridge in Balt to avoid the tunnel. Then take the I-295 go around for Wash. Always take the east side on the go around's it's shorter. Gets me to SOB about 8pm depending on stops.
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I 95 N to NJ turnpike (I95) to I 287 N to I 287 / I 87 East across the Tarrytown bridge to

I 684 N to I 84 E to where ever....
or
I 684 S to I 95 E to where ever....

depending on "where" Northeast you're going...

....or you can continue north on I 87 from I 287 up to I 84 east as well.

....or you can continue north on I 87 from I 287 up to I 90 east as well.

never had a problem on i 95 around Baltimore and Washington... and we travel with a 40 ' RV and a 25' trailer.... just stay EAST of DC and then take the Key Bridge, east, around Baltimore or go west the long way around Baltimore. Each of these will allow you to avoid the tunnel...

cheers
geo

ps: i do this all the time as I live in NYC and have my RV maintenance done in MA and store the RV in PA....
Old 04-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #6

I also hope to purchase a new to us RV in Florida and drive to the East Coast of Canada to Prince Edward Island. This information is invaluble to me as this will be the first time travelling these highways. So being able to bypass those heavy traffic areas will be a blessing. Really looking forward to the trip. Cheers to all and thanks for your advice.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We cut over to I81 on US 17 in VA, then back through Mass or Conn to get back to I95. Yes its longer, but it's also a scenic ride with nice camping along the way. If you are hell-bent for the best possible time, grit your teeth and stay on I95 all the way, but if you want to relax choose an alternate route.

We've done Florida-Maine 4 times in the last 8 years and will be doing it again this year.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 what Georgia said, minus the 40' + 25' rig.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I go to western NH almost every year. 95N - 26W - 77N/W - 81N - 84E - 91N to Vt. then over to NH. It is about 100 miles longer than 95 all the way but much more relaxed ride. Yes there are a couple of good mountain climbs on 77 if I remember correctly. But what goes up, must come down.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotago2 View Post
I go to western NH almost every year. 95N - 26W - 77N/W - 81N - 84E - 91N to Vt. then over to NH. It is about 100 miles longer than 95 all the way but much more relaxed ride. Yes there are a couple of good mountain climbs on 77 if I remember correctly. But what goes up, must come down.
We took most of this route last year when we had to head back to RI. Much nicer than I-95 which we had to do a couple of times due to my parents health. The last time we used I-95 thru southern New England I told the wife, never again with the MH. The big grade on I-77 is at the NC / VA border, so a nice stopping point is the Mayberry CG:

RV Park Reviews :: Mount Airy, North Carolina ( NC ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

Bob
Old 04-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
ZIPO said I295 around Washington DC, 295 cuts through the city HOWEVER NO TRUCKS, height clearance issues. I495 goes around the City
Old 04-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
A route we've used several times that avoids the cities you mentioned:
I95N to US17W in Fredricksburg VA to I66W to I81N past Winchester VA to Scranton PA to I84E past Newburgh NY (Toll bridge) thru CT into MA. A few more miles but many less tolls and much less traffic.
I drive to NE often for work and this is the route I like best - I95 to Rt17N at Fredricksburg, to I66W, to I81N, to I84. This route is longer and there are some hills on I-81 in Pa.
And pay attention in Fredricksburg and Warrenton, there are business and bypass 17Norths to keep you out of town.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #13

I have driven each of the routes listed in this post. Each has pros and cons. Another route which I have used is I-95 to I-26. I-26 to I-77 thru Charlotte, NC. (Charlotte is very easy to drive thru) to I-81 to I-84 into New England. There are some hills, but much more relaxing and prettier scenery.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Make sure you have your "EZ-Pass" before you go. You'll need it no matter which way you go. Saves time and money.

Please enjoy Maine. Life as it should be.......

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins powered Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Honda CRV, tow-N-4 Down, U.S. Gear Unified Tow brake, Blue-OX tow bar, Dually Valve stems, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time Wanna Be
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida