Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have been taking the I-10 from East to west and visa versa on now many occasions. It's a very easy route to take, and if you do a bit of research there are many interesting stop to make along this route. Don't worry about this being your first trip. Within only a couple of hours you will settle down and find your own rhythm. Keep the tires at correct pressure and don't go to fast, and you will be absolutely fine

Dang Someone mentioned Blue Bell and now I have drooled down my keyboard again. Stop mentioning that name !!

The Great Dane
2007 Monaco Diplomat PAQ - 2007 Saturn Vue Honorary Texas Boomer
Living in Denmark - visiting the US whenever possible. www.winnebago.dk www.blog.retired.dk

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #16
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have also driven the route frequently in our former Southwind flat towing the RAV4. Mobile Tunnel is no issue at all. Just pick your lane and stay with it. In Houston I would branch off to 290. That takes you right through Brenham, the home of the Blue Bell Creamery. For the Creamery visit we stay at Artisian Campground just west of town. Then we take the tow'd into Brenham for the creamery and other touring. It is worth a day stop.

Our preference is generally lesser roads, but for a first time pull through the area the interstates are fine until Houston. There is no need to take I 10 from Houston to Austin, it is just plain ugly, also out of the way. 290 is a direct shot into Austin.

Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Read my blog at http://xctraveler.blogspot.com/ AKA RVM86
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by xctraveler View Post
There is no need to take I 10 from Houston to Austin, it is just plain ugly, also out of the way. 290 is a direct shot into Austin.
There is no way to take I-10 from Houston to Austin; you're going to have to go north sooner or later. 290 is ok but much more traffic than Hwy 71, at least until north of Cypress. Two of our kids live in Austin...I've driven both routes dozens of times and much prefer 71.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:42 AM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Again, I want to THANK everyone for sharing your thoughts, humor and wisdom as to which route to take from Naples FL to Austin TX. We decided to take I75 north to I10west. You told me to be ready (aware) and I was.... but it wasn't that bad. I got up early and on the road each day. The roads weren't bad either. I-10 W in Florida was great... matter of fact... I-10W all the way to I-12W we had good roads. BUT there was a stretch of I-12W just before it goes back into I-10W that was horrible!!! OMG! I slowed down to 50... sometimes 45mph but it didn't matter... the road was so buckled -- it was like one speed bump right after another MILES! I kept thinking it was going to get better... but it didn't... and there was NO way off or around or another route to take. Louisiana - you should be ashame! To have a road that so many travellers' use in that condition... I know I never what to experience that again. Well we are here in TEXAS .. thanks again everyone.
WeBeTraveling Gals
2002 Winnebago Brave -
Webetravelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #19
After you have about 50 miles under your belt, all worries will melt away (unless you are one of the world's worst drivers), and you can take whatever route you deem best, it does not matter in the long run.

Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #20
Entegra Owners Club
Welcome HOME to Austin. Still trying to get our purchase from Katy TX punchlist done so we can get her back to Bee Cave. Spent 3 nights around Columbus near I10 and HWY 71. 6 trips in the car out there getting a bit old. Hopefully 1 to 2 weeks more.

Rich USN-Ret & Cindy, Austin TX,
2015 Entegra Coach Anthem 42RBQ
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
navychop is online now   Reply With Quote