Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2015, 08:25 PM   #1

Best route for mountains in west

My husband and I bought a fleetwood bounder 33c. We took a few nearby trips, all went well. We are planning a cross country from Atlanta through Memphis, Sante Fe, to Cortez where he has a motorcycle rally to attend in June. Then on to Zion and Bryce. Plan on going to Lake Tahoe, Napa, Eureka, Portland, Seattle, Whidby Island, Glacier National, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Rushmore and back home. Now, the issue - I am kind of nervous about driving on narrow, sloping roadways, no guardrails, hairpin turns as it is. Thinking of being in a motorhome doesn't help, especially after reading how the brakes can burn out and other various problems. Any tips, reassurance, anything to help me out. Next, possible routes especially on those mountain passes we will be encountering - which ones are better than others.
Bryce - Lake Tahoe
Napa to Eureka, or is that too winding and lots of turns?
Glacier National to Yellowston - Tetons - any major issues there?
Thanks for any help, advice, words of wisdom!
dorcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Now, the issue - I am kind of nervous about driving on narrow, sloping roadways, no guardrails, hairpin turns as it is. Thinking of being in a motorhome doesn't help, especially after reading how the brakes can burn out and other various problems.
Lots of people have your "problem"! We see it all the time around here. If you're that way then DON'T go out the east entrance to Yellowstone!! You will not enjoy it at all.
Now, as to what you can do about it? I can't answer that as I was born out here and drive them all the time
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:47 PM   #3

Going out the east entrance is a lot easier than going out the northeast entrance.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:00 PM   #4

Thats a big question. Easiest would be I10 west. And US101 north
Old 05-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #5

If you don't like downhill grades with guardrails (or no guardrails) on the passenger side: Do not approach Lake Tahoe via US50 from the Sacramento side. It sounds like you will not like the last 8 miles or so from the summit to Meyers (and you might not be comfortable with some areas of the American River canyon as you head up the hill). If coming to Lake Tahoe from the west use, take I80 to Truckee and come in from the north. It is all freeway on I80 to Truckee. You may leave Lake Tahoe and travel west on US50, if you are okay going uphill, with the guardrail on on the opposite side of the road. Or you can approach Lake Tahoe via US50 from Carson City, or from the south on Highway 89 to US50. If the difference between no guardrails and having guardrails is enough, there are some guardrails on US50 (referring to the section between Riverton and Meyers), but vehicles periodically still end up in the America River or over the cliff at Meyers (although the EB concrete barrier above Meyers was recently refurbished).
Coulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #6

Get a Mountain Directory (east & west edition). It gives you all the info you need for roads. Camping World, Amazon or Barnes & Noble carry them. A great resource
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Get a little practice before going. Being a MG driver for the last 48 years, I love the mountain roads. Go to Rock City, The Tail of the Dragon near Gatlinburg, Franklin-Highlands, NC, Blue Ridge Parkway. They are all great roads and not far from GA.
We have been to all of the places you want to visit, and enjoyed the trips. Last fall we drove the "million Dollar Highway" in CO. just for fun in a 40' DP with the toad this spring the 10% grade into Palo Duro. A little practice in using the gears and exhaust brakes (if you have one) and not riding the pedal. Just sit back and let the DH handle the road. Enjoy your trip.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by missourijan View Post
Get a Mountain Directory (east & west edition). It gives you all the info you need for roads. Camping World, Amazon or Barnes & Noble carry them. A great resource
The Mountain Directories are also available directly from the source: https://www.mountaindirectory.com/mtnshop/ They (east and west) are available in print or Ebook. MUCH less expensive here than from Amazon.

Great, very detailed information about all the significant grades.

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #9

Mountain West Directory ... and study it carefully ... I did not buy mine until after I needed it ...

Please don't ask me about the last trip before acquiring.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:08 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your request is too vast to list all the best routes to each but there is a book that will help. Go to a RV book site and get the book Mountians West. It will list the hazzards and pitfalls for each road. It will clearly tell you what you will find on each road.
jrhartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhartle View Post
Your request is too vast to list all the best routes to each but there is a book that will help. Go to a RV book site and get the book Mountians West. It will list the hazzards and pitfalls for each road. It will clearly tell you what you will find on each road.

I just tried to Google for the book 'Mountains West' book and couldn't find anything.

Did you mean the above mentioned 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers - West Edition'? That's the one we use all the time.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:32 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes that's the book. It has invaluable info in it.