Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #1

Best route from FL to NY

Hi,
We are traveling from South Florida up to a site in Long Island. I would like to avoid I-95 as much as possible, does anyone recommend I-95 -> I-81 for that trip?
Any other advice?

Thanks, Tom
2014 Anthem 44DLQ
taraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you really don't want I-95, In SC switch to I-26, I-77, I-81, I-78 to I-95 at Newark, NJ. It adds about 100 miles to the trip but avoids Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and NJ Turnpike. Prettier route also. You also avoid tolls in most places.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #3

We have driven 95-26-77-81-84 for the last two years traveling to Florida from New Hampshire and back. Good roads until you get to Pennsylvania and New York. NY roads are in awful condition. Like any of the interstates, there are a lot of trucks, but really not a problem. The most difficult part is Route 77 over the mountains at Fancy Gap on the North Carolina/Virginia border. About 7 miles uphill coming north. From the approach to Fancy Gap all the way to PA you can encounter fog. We had very bad fog once and pretty bad fog once in 2 years going south in the early winter. Clear conditions coming north in the spring. I would find another route if there was one, at least to bypass Fancy Gap, but NY-Baltimore-Washington is worse.
BluBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I travel PA to Florida and back every winter. Definitely use the I-77 - I-81 route. Sure there are hills, but no traffic like the I-95 race track! Sit back and enjoy the sites!
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
We recently retired full time in western SC but before that, for the last 10 years I commuted back and forth from Fair Play SC to Staten Island approximately every 3 weeks. The absolute best way for me was i85 to i77 to i81 to i78 to i278 into staten Island. It added less than 30 miles but saved at least 90 minutes not having to deal with richmond, Washington and Baltimore. Not to mention the only toll was the Outterbridge Crossing.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Remember to get through NYC you HAVE to use the Expressways and NOT the Parkways. VERY low clearance on the parkway bridges.

I prefer taking the GW bridge instead of going through Staten Island.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Remember to get through NYC you HAVE to use the Expressways and NOT the Parkways. VERY low clearance on the parkway bridges.

I prefer taking the GW bridge instead of going through Staten Island.
However, taking the GWB onto the Cross Bronx then over the Whitestone Bridge onto the LIE and be a challenge too, and I think it adds extra miles. Taking the Stinky Island Expressway to the BQE into the LIE can't be any worse.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBounder View Post
We have driven 95-26-77-81-84 for the last two years traveling to Florida from New Hampshire and back. Good roads until you get to Pennsylvania and New York. NY roads are in awful condition. Like any of the interstates, there are a lot of trucks, but really not a problem. The most difficult part is Route 77 over the mountains at Fancy Gap on the North Carolina/Virginia border. About 7 miles uphill coming north. From the approach to Fancy Gap all the way to PA you can encounter fog. We had very bad fog once and pretty bad fog once in 2 years going south in the early winter. Clear conditions coming north in the spring. I would find another route if there was one, at least to bypass Fancy Gap, but NY-Baltimore-Washington is worse.
Might check taking I-26 to I-81 and bypass I-77 all together. Might be a little farther but I-26 up through Asheville, NC and over the mountains is all 4 lane now and a very easy and beautiful ride. Fancy Gap can be a real nightmare if there is much wind!
Old 06-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget63 View Post
Taking the Stinky Island Expressway to the BQE into the LIE can't be any worse.
There is NOTHING worse than the BQE - any day, any hour - traffic, pot holes. And ZERO options to get off once you get on. Avoid it at ALL costs.

If you take the GW and the Cross Bronx is backed up, you can slide over to the Major Deegan and then to the Bruckner. Plus you have two bridge options to get to the LIE - Whitestone or Throgs Neck.

However NONE of these roads are conducive to RV travel. Go at 4am on a Sunday and you may have a shot!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
lets face it, traveling through NYC and the outer boroughs with an RV is going to be an adventure to be avoided at all cost. I just feel that with the road and traffic situation being what it is, there is no good route.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by taraf View Post
Hi,
We are traveling from South Florida up to a site in Long Island. I would like to avoid I-95 as much as possible, does anyone recommend I-95 -> I-81 for that trip?
Any other advice?

Thanks, Tom
2014 Anthem 44DLQ
I am familiar with the roads in North Florida and I recommend US-1 to avoid I-95 from Daytona north to Jacksonville (not familiar with 1 south of there). If you use US-1, in Jacksonville you will probably want to use I-95 to cross the St. Johns river, and avoid the core neighborhoods North of the river. US-1 has a ramp to I-95 near the river, so you don't have to be on it for so long. There is also an ALT-1 that is not bad if not in rush hours through Jacksonville. Because of the crime in the areas off the interstate, STAY on I-95 at least until you get to the north beltway (I-295) to get back to US-17 that runs parallel to the coast, or go west loop back to US-1, that cuts north/ slightly NW from Jacksonville.

If you want to travel inland a bit more, use US 17. It crosses the St. Johns in Palatka and runs along the west side of the river to Jacksonville. US-17 then has a ramp that runs up to I-10 eastbound to I-95N (recommend this vs. the neighborhoods going through Jacksonville's core).

If you don't mind interstate type roads and 1 big bridge, take US-1 and just at the south end of Jacksonville, there is a ramp to I-295 East loop. It is a nice road except morning rush hour. It goes across the St. Johns river over the Bonaparte (Dames Point to locals) Bridge. It is a large cable bridge that has been an a lot of commercials. It has a off ramp for 17 just the 4th exit past the bridge.

Jacksonville's rush hours are from 7-9am and 430-630 pm. Plan on being at least half way through the city at the start of rush hour, or you will be in traffic or wait until after 9am to travel through.

I-95 through north Florida isn't nearly as bad as in south Florida for traffic. I personally will travel I-95 from north Daytona through Georgia to SC after 9am till 4pm and again after 6pm as traffic isn't as heavy as I have encountered in south Florida during non rush hour travels to the Keys over different years vacations. I use the toll roads to avoid I-95 down there. I only use my Sun Pass for my vacations as we don't have toll roads in N. Florida.

UNFORTUNATELY you will have to use I-95 to cross into Ga if you stay along the coast. The US-17 bridge is closed for repair at the state line. Also in Georgia, US-17 uses I-95 to cross into SC.

Hope this helps you or someone else traveling through Jacksonville.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:45 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taraf View Post
Hi, We are traveling from South Florida up to a site in Long Island. I would like to avoid I-95 as much as possible, does anyone recommend I-95 -> I-81 for that trip?
Any other advice? Thanks, Tom 2014 Anthem 44DLQ
Do you prefer to avoid NYC as well? Go right around on 287 and take the ferry from Bridgeport to Port Jefferson.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:33 AM   #13

Yep Early Sunday morning. It's worth getting up early. I live in Oceanside on Long Island and hate the drive home.
pattypom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #14

For a place to stop along the way, stop by Coastal Georgia RV resort, Carrollwoods RV Campground located right at Grapefull Sisters Winery, Adams County Winery just outside Gettysburg.

It is 95 and its a good route, however, I only travel 95 through the DC area between at 1am - 4am only. Any other time is just awful. Jump onto 81 to avoid the DC area and stop by the winery, they have an RV concrete pad with a view of the vineyard and pond where you can stay the night (that's what we did).
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote