Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Best route from I-5 to Oregon coast

I have a friend coming up from California (Lake Shasta) and he wants to get over to Hwy 101 and come up the coast to Newport He has a 35' Gasser with Jeep toad.

Wha is the best route for him to cut over?

thanks

Ron

lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #2

I would probably go from Grants Pass over to the coast

Old 09-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by margieanddon View Post
I would probably go from Grants Pass over to the coast
And take hwy 199?? I've heard that is not a good highway for large rv's.

Ron
Old 09-18-2016, 11:04 AM   #4

If I could avoid it, I would not use 199 from Grants Pass to the coast. It's a little easier going westbound (Cliff on one side of road, steep drop off to the river the on other) but still many tight turns, narrow road, and no shoulders. I did a round trip last month with a 29 foot MH towing a car. Going east, (cliff-side, rocky river way below), it was two and one-half hours to cover 77 miles. In one area the guardrail is mounted in the white fog line on the right.

Met with some friends who came over 299. Some ups, downs, and turns, but nothing bad. Only hang-up, lots of construction.

If they are not in a rush, use Hwy 20 at Williams to go from I-5 over to 101. Then follow it all the way north.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
If he wants the full blast, take 299 from Redding to Arcata, Ca and head north.

199 from Grants Pass ends up at Crescent City, ca and a lot of extra miles.

Having done all that, we just cut over to Reedsport and go north to Newport or stay at Winchester Bay. Hwy 138 to 38 to 101.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Time View Post
If I could avoid it, I would not use 199 from Grants Pass. It's a little easier going westbound (Cliff on one side of road, steep drop off to the river the on other) but still many tight turns, narrow road, and no shoulders. In one area the guardrail is mounted in the white fog line on the right. I did a round trip last month. Eastbound (cliff-side, rocky river way below) with a 29 foot MH towing a car. Two and one-half hours to cover 77 miles.

Met with some friends who came over 299. Some ups, downs, and turns, but nothing bad. Only hang-up, lots of construction.

If they are not in a rush, use Hwy 20 at Williams to go from I-5 over to 101. Then follow it all the way north.
thanks. As mentioned, they are jn Lake Shasta heading north. Much too late to take 20 at Williams.

I'll pass on your info re: 199.

Thanks again

Ron
Old 09-18-2016, 11:16 AM   #7

126 from Eugene to Florence unless they want the most exposure to 101. Actually any road from I-5 to the coast, in Oregon, is acceptable. The further north they turn west the quicker they get to Newport.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:16 PM   #8

This is a copy of what I posted in another current thread about the "Redwood Highway" aka US 199.

Quote:
I drove it three times each way this summer. It is relatively easy westbound but has a couple of very tight spots eastbound where the road is actually cantilevered and the guardrail is on the outside white line. The key is to take your time. Follow the informational speed limit signs as they aren't kidding. Many large motorhomes take this route with no idea it is length restricted. If your passenger is skittish this road will scare the daylights out of them. After our fifth trip in our new motorhome my DW is actually able to sleep the night before we head back to the Rogue Valley. YMMV
I talked with a 5th wheeler from Redding, who is a South Coast OR regular, and he only drives 299. He has a friend who is afraid of 299 and only drives 199.

I used to drive OR 138 to OR 38 regularly in a Class C. OR 38 is a really nice road with lots of passing lanes. Hwy 138 is a very beautiful drive through the forks of the Umpqua river but requires some driving attention. OR 126 from Eugene is the easiest drive but you do miss a lot of the OR coast.

Another option would be OR 42 out of Sutherlin but don't under any circumstance take 42S to Bandon. I find OR 42 to be tedious but I am not sure why. It is much improved from days gone by and features many more passing lanes than there used to be. Drove it once last summer and that should do for quite awhile.

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
And take hwy 199?? I've heard that is not a good highway for large rv's.

Ron

I did 199 a few years ago in a 40' DP with a tow and would do it again. Watch your speed and stay alert.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:20 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did Hwy 199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City in a 40' w/mini van toad in a rain storm Make sure your mirrors are in as tight as you can get them & have a cup of coffee to hand to the trucker that you meet/pass on the way....I could see the whiskers on his chin I would not do this road again in the RV if there were any other options.
The road along the Umpqua River is beautiful

Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote