Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #15

nothermark.....yes, we've already encountered the early closing of campgrounds when we were calling in PEI and Nova Scotia. So we'll check that carefully. We'll definitely check out the other back roads you suggested....thanks! As for checking out 'the rest of the area sometime'? I'd love nothing more! The way I'd LIKE to travel is to just mosey and see an area thoroughly before moving on. Unfortunately, we have some commitments at home (an ill mother-in-law) and just can't quite do that yet. So the focus of this trip is purely fall colors and photography. So that's our plan and I'm stickin' to it! :-)
fiddleddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2017, 08:36 AM   #16

oldman5145.....the way you describe driving the parkway is exactly how we'd like to do it. Although even if we CAN take the 5th wheel on it, we probably won't. Trying to access the pull-offs would drive my husband crazy! :-) So we'll stay somewhere off the parkway and just drive it with the truck. However, I love your reminder about Maybry Mill. I've seen some great photographs of it, and I'd like to get my own! Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #17

Winemaker2.....see my response above. That's probably exactly what we'll do. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2017, 08:39 AM   #18

chuckster52.....thanks! Will do!
Old 07-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #19

Winemaker2......great suggestions! Camden I hadn't thought of. Don't necessarily want to see Portland (again), but we haven't been to Camden. We've been to Cooperstown and Corning before so probably won't do those. But we LOVE presidential libraries/museums, so thanks for the tip about Eisenhower.....and Gettysburg. I'm actually starting to get excited about the trip now. At first I was disappointed that we aren't heading west (I'm in love with the west), and I wasn't too excited about the prospects of what we'd see out east. But the idea is starting to grow on me. :-)
Old 07-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #20

chuckster52.....yep! :-)
Old 07-22-2017, 08:46 AM   #21

boatman10.....thanks for the info AND the warning. We'll check carefully before venturing down any road we aren't sure about. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2017, 05:58 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddleddd View Post
oldman5145.....the way you describe driving the parkway is exactly how we'd like to do it. Although even if we CAN take the 5th wheel on it, we probably won't. Trying to access the pull-offs would drive my husband crazy! :-) So we'll stay somewhere off the parkway and just drive it with the truck. However, I love your reminder about Maybry Mill. I've seen some great photographs of it, and I'd like to get my own! Thanks for the advice!
You can always try short sections of the parkway. Most of the pull offs, one every mile or two, are large enoughto handle most any vehicle with a trailer. A lot of campgrounds along the way too.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:36 AM   #23

It occurs to me that if you are after foliage you will probably be behind the color peak as you head south. I think you will pick it up again around PA. It's weather dependent so really hard to tell. Most states with color tourism have a web site you can track. You may have figured that out already but I thought I would toss it out in case you have not.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:16 PM   #24

Anyone traveling the parkway needs to look at the tunnel list first. Down near the bottom, there are three that have rather low clearances on the outside white line, in the neighborhood of 10ft 6 to 11ft 3. You would need to be straddling the center line in a tall fiver or a tall motorhome.

Tunnel Clearances - Blue Ridge Parkway

as they say down here in the south, "ya'll be careful, ya hear!"

None of the parkway campgrounds have power. Pisgah has showers, the only one that does. At Pisgah the sites are horribly not level in most cases, so take lots of leveling blocks if you don't have built in leveling.

Charles
Old 07-27-2017, 06:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
How big a hurry will you be in. They gave you the get there now route. If you want to see more and go slower there are better ideas.
We will be doing something similar in early October going from Boothebay to Foxboro to Philadelphia. Any suggestions nothermark?
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:41 PM   #26

We live in the area near the blue ridge on lake Hickory. Examine your routes closely like others have said. I have driven most of the backroads around the Asheville, Cherokee, Franklin and Waynesboro in a regular pickup for work. In the pickup it would churn my tools and parts up in the bed and I was happy to get out of the twisties. lol

I hate taking 40 going east around Black Mountain. If Im in the camper I will take the route south as if I was going to Charlotte. Its still a hefty grade but its broken up more. I have never been so terrified in all my life than to ride in the back of my 80yr old father in laws car down that hill. Seriously puts to life the joke about screaming in the backseat. lol

A good example is the route to the campground I told my husband to take (because he was leaving before me) and the route he actually took because that is where the GPS told him to. lol It really drove home the fact that you cant take the route less travelled...and dont ignore your wifes words of wisdom...that she wrote down specifically for you to follow. hahaha

There are at least 3 hairpin turns, real butt puckerers. They also have no shoulders and no pavement past the yellow lines and minimal lane widths. The only thing that saved him was he went through there around 2pm and the other drivers were courteous.

Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:49 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster52 View Post
Coming out of Maine on 95..toll road..to Mass and get on 495 ,take this to 90 ..toll road ...to Sturbridge,Mass to 84 thru Ct,thru NY to Scranton,Pa and get on 81 ,all the way to Tn...you will hit pockets of traffic but nothing epic to br concerned about
You will hit spotty campgrounds....open...as it is November...if I can help with possible campgrounds,fire away...C
The only change I would make is to get off off I84 in Hartford and get onto I91 south. Follow I91 and get off onto I691. Take I691 to and get back on I84. Traveling through Hartford is never fun, especially during rush hour traffic.

Also, your rig will not fit into Acadia NP. If they are still open, there are several campgrounds on the north end of the island. If it is still running, there is a free LL Bean shuttle bus from most CGs. It will take you all the way to downtown Bar Harbor and down further to Acadia. Bar Harbor has narrow roads and isn't kind to trucks, especially the DRW kind!

There's a nice year round CG in Freedom, NH called Danforth Bay CG. Freedom is about half way up the state on the Maine border. You can travel west from Portland, ME to get to it. The CG will easily accommodate your rig.

During New England foliage season, you need to make reservations now (or even a year ago) to ensure a campsite.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarrett50 View Post
We will be doing something similar in early October going from Boothebay to Foxboro to Philadelphia. Any suggestions nothermark?
Not really. Mostly because you need to go to Foxboro and it's late in the season.

The alternatives I have been over are north across Rt 2 in Me, NH & VT into NY or 90 to Albany and down 88 into the Finger Lakes. Out of your way and probably too late in the season for you. A lot of interesting things along both routes depending where one is and what one wants.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote