Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
WBA

Best Route from Mass to Florida in December

Thinking of a road trip to Florida in December.
Hoping for advice regarding route and travel advisories.

Roads to avoid, mountains to avoid, etc.....
Never made the trip south.

Driving Winnebago Sunstar LX30T.

Thanks!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2018, 08:31 PM   #2

ma to fla

i use I84 toI81toI77toI26toI95 it is a little longer than 95 all the way but no tolls headed south except ma pike and you miss nyc balt/washington a few hills but nothing crazy.
hometool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:50 PM   #3

What he said is not bad. Considering where you are coming from Albany, NY might be closer to you so I-90 to I-88 might work better for you.

I'm not a fan of the I-81 truck traffic so I roll off it at I-64 and Run down US-15, Enough shorter to make up for the lower speed limit. Not much to slow down for as the bigger towns are bypassed. You pick up a super slab north of Durham and pick a route from there. The point is that there are choices depending on what you want to drive like or stop at.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:15 PM   #4

Many trips in the car back and forth over the years taught my brain! Too many times I found myself either in Jersey or the DC area and wondering "why am I going this way?". Most NE natives know the trials and tribulations of 95!
Each trip in the RV was via 84 to 81, down to 64 and then over to 95.
Same in reverse coming back.
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think it's as much a problem with the road as it is the time of day when you get to the traditional choke points. Arrive in DC at 9 AM or 4 PM when commuters are traveling you'll sit in a parking lot on I-95. Get there at 1 PM and traffic is much lighter. I-95 is not what it was years ago, for the most part. Sure it can get crowded. Pull over and wait it out if it bothers you. I-81 down the Shenendoah valley is no picnic. Truck traffic is very heavy, plus you are in the mountains a good part of the time. JMHO
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:07 PM   #6
WBA

Thank you everyone!!!!
Many things to consider.

Tags
florida