Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Goldensadie
Best Route from ME to FL?

Leaving ME Dec. 20th heading to FL. Can anyone suggest the best route to take and suggests on where to stay? Figured the first night we'd have to find a motel that will accommodate a 43' w/tow.
Many thanks for any help/suggestions you can provide.
Goldensadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2016, 01:27 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm assuming the 20th is your planned departure date and may not represent the actual date. You need to plan for winter weather travel delays from ME all the way to VA. Have you taken this trip before?

As for my route: 95S to 495S to 90W to 84W to 91S to 691W? to 84W to 81S. This brings you to Scranton, PA. If you can hit DC on the weekend, then get off 81 onto 70E to 270E. Exit onto 495S around DC, then back onto 95S to FL. There are several other routes around DC to get back on 95. I'll let others chime in here. Once you get into FL at Jacksonville, you can pick your routes to your final destination....FL is a very big state.

In late December, you may not find many campgrounds open due to the cold weather, until you get near VA. We often Wallydock up until that point. If you can tell us the number miles per day you like to travel, may help us find stop points for you. We usually travel 400-500 miles on the first day or two to get out of the cold weather. South of the Border CG in Hamer, SC is a good stop over...cheap, full hookups, pull through sites and you can wash your rig to get the winter travel grime off of it. Make a reservation the day before you expect to arrive. Stay safe and travel with the good weather!
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:16 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The route that rockwood suggested would be my choice also. Once on I-81 you can cut back to I-95 in different ways: a) from Winchester VA US50/US17 to I-95 near Fredericksburg; b) from Staunton VA I-64 to I-95 at Richmond; or, near Ft Chiswell VA, I-77 to Columbia SC, then I-26 to I-95 near Bowman SC. Your route selection will depend on how much of the east coast metro traffic you want to avoid.

I don't know what your daily travel plans are. We usually do about 200-250 miles per day, sometimes maybe a little more. About 220 miles from Oakland will bring you to a couple of MA campgrounds that stay open year-round (unusual, I know). Circle CG Farm Campground in Bellingham, MA, and Normandy Farms in Foxborough. We've been at the Circle CG since early Aug, but will be heading south in a few days.

Farther down the road we have stayed at Walmart's in Danbury, CT, Middletown, NY, Milford, PA (near Port Jervis), and Hazleton PA. We use WMs fairly regularly when purely traveling.

There's not much in the way of CGs in CT that can handle MHs, and those few all close in Sept or Oct. There's a campground called Tri-State in Port Jervis. We had a res there, but then the people in the office seemed a little sketchy to us, so we went down the road to the Walmart.

Once you get down into VA you should find plenty of open CGs.
Good Luck!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
The same as the others say, unless the weather threatens. If it's not nice, the mountains in PA will have fog, ice, snow and/or rain. I would then get off I/84 the first exit (53) in PA and take US 209 to PA 33 to I/78 to I/81 (about 15 miles north of Harrisburg). About where I/78 and !/81 meet is the Hershey/Jonestown KOA which is about 470 miles for us (a very long day)..... but they have a "Country Store" which delivers meals to your RV and it the AM you can pick-up breakfast sandwiches on the way out.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:43 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Because we're traveling with two dogs we try not to drive more than 5 hours a day. I emailed that campground in MA that was mentioned as being open year-round, but no response. It sounds like we'll be staying in Walmart parking lots for the first few nights, but I hear not all welcome RV's?
Appreciate all advice I've been given. Can't wait to get out of ME, beautiful state during summer and fall....just not so nice in the winter!
Old 11-30-2016, 06:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensadie View Post
Because we're traveling with two dogs we try not to drive more than 5 hours a day. I emailed that campground in MA that was mentioned as being open year-round, but no response. It sounds like we'll be staying in Walmart parking lots for the first few nights, but I hear not all welcome RV's?
Appreciate all advice I've been given. Can't wait to get out of ME, beautiful state during summer and fall....just not so nice in the winter!
WHile many will say not welcome a call to the manager will often pay off with a Welcome....... Walmart Locations Store Details & Parking | Walmart Store Locator "allstays" will give you all the info you need to call and ask as you travel.

As for route - many avoid I-95 but we have used it and found timing to be critical to the success, just avoid the rush hours and sail through.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:44 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensadie View Post
...... I emailed that campground in MA that was mentioned as being open year-round, but no response. It sounds like we'll be staying in Walmart parking lots for the first few nights, but I hear not all welcome RV's?......

Sadie.... any CG open year round is into winter mode by now. That means light staff and perhaps short hours in the office. Don't count on email, just call them-- they do answer the phone!

As far as the Walmart's are concerned, likewise-- just call them! The person answering the phone or the one at the Customer Service desk will know the answer or will get it for you. Then, when you get there, be sure to go inside, pick up a few grocery or household items that you need, and with the stuff in your cart go find the Asst Mgr on duty and thank him/her for the hospitality. Let them see that you're buying some stuff. Folks who give you free parking deserve a quid pro quo.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If I were you I would avoid I84 west of I87and rather go south on 87 to 287 then take 78 to 81. West of 87 the 84 has quite a bit of hills or small mountains and is in a region with more snow. Also once you get to Scranton, Pa on 84, the 81 is still close to the great lakes and is often affected by lake effect snow.

In Winchester Pa, there's a camping open year round. It's the Western Village campground somewhere around exit 45 of 81 in pa.

http://westernvillagervpark.com/
Old 12-03-2016, 04:08 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I just called and made a reservation at Circle CG in Bellingham, MA. They never received my email so I'm glad you suggested to call. Really nice lady took our reservation. Thanks so much for telling me about this campground being open, it's the perfect distance for our first day on the road. From there we will drive to PA to find another campground, unfortunately my husband does not want to overnight in a Walmart parking lot unless absolutely necessary, says he doesn't like the idea of running the generator all night. Since we have owned our coach we've never drydocked.
Thanks again for this great info on campgrounds and best/direct routes. Will definitely stop at the place in SC to wash the coach, that's more great info we did not know about. It'll be nice to get out of our cold state for a few months and enjoy a month in the warm Keys!
Old 12-03-2016, 05:44 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not sure why you would have to run your generator all night. Your batteries will be fully charged from the main engine. We usually run the generator when we arrive at Walmart for meal prep and then again in the morning.

There is a Walmart in Wilkes-Barre at Exit 168 on I81. We've stayed there many times although some apps suggest no overnight parking. Park on the right side of the building as you face it. There are lots of eateries within walking distance of the parking area. We have a dog also so no worries. I remember one December we were the only RV in the parking lot. I took the dog out for a walk around 9 pm and there were around 25 RV'S in the parking lot. From then on we call this place Camp Walmart!
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote