Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #1

Best route from ohio to virginia beach??

Hi all, preparing for our first "real" Motorhome trip. Canton ohio to virginia beach. Honda odyssey toad, would like to find a route with fewer mountains than 77S to 64E. Other routes have been proposed by software, but would like to avoid small two lane roads...especially with the toad. If 77 is the best route, will take it, just not looking forward to the mountains....also concerned about fuel availability with van in tow...I know that there are quite a few truck plazas on the 77 route. Suggestions welcomed and appreciated!!
Joman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lived in Pittsburgh 30 yrs and SE VA the last 26...get to the turnpike, thru PA to breeze wood. Down I70/270 to dc beltway to I95 south. Down 95 to 295 and then 64 east to va beach.

Just try to time it to arrive at Frederick md around 9:30 or 10 am for rush hour in dc.

The least hills this way. Traffic....maybe.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
77 to 64 is the best route from where you're at, then 64 all the way in. You'll be on multilane roads the whole way and any 'respectable' grades you encounter will be on 77 with lots of room between you and the shoulder and passing lanes all over the place. Both 77 and 64 are beautiful drives ... we do both frequently. Have fun, be safe.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Agree to disagree. Driving a lower hp/torque rig towing the extra hills via 77 and 64 matter. Either way is nice ride.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #5

I live just off I-64 and drive to WV regularly. Also do the beltway around DC frequently. Take I-77/I-64 and avoid the beltway. You might. Pull some grades a bit slow, but beats the h... Out of the DC traffic. You can always unhook the toad and have co-pilot drive it, but don't think that'll be necessary.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #6

What are your thoughts on 70 to 81 to 64 to bypass DC traffic?? Anyone try this one?? Considering an overnight at flying J in Winchester... Then down to 64
Old 08-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #7

I-81 south from northern VA to I-64 east is basically flat with some small hills. East of Waynesboro on I-64 is one grade over the Blue Ridge Mountains, probably about 6-7 miles. Good road.

Dropping down from the summit to Cozet is a bit longer, but certainly not a problem. All good road. Just start down about 50 mph and keep the speed under control. Very pretty drive to Charlottesville, then pretty boring to Richmond. Go around Richmond to the north. I think the signs say airport to get you on the bypass. They might say Williamsburg too.

If you have time, Jefferson's home, Monticello at Charlottesville is well worth a visit.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #8

Thank you all for your input... Here we go!!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joman View Post
wish we were following you. sounds like a good time either way you go. let us know which way you went and if you come back the same way. I know what you mean about I77. have fun.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you like good red wine and a beautiful site, I'd reccomend a visit to Barboursville vineyard. Just a few miles outside charlottsville va. Luca makes some fine wine!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Canton ohio to virginia beach. Honda odyssey toad, would like to find a route with fewer mountains than 77S to 64E.
I drove this route yesterday:

I-76 (Ohio Tpke)
to
I-70 (I-76) Pennsylvania Tpke
to
Exit 161 (Breezewood)
to
I-70 south
to
Exit 1B (Hancock)
to
US-522 south
to
I-81 south
to
I-66 east
to
US-17 south
to
I-95 south

41' motorhome (diesel) towing a car. It didn't seem like there were any difficult grades; plenty of easy access fuel stops; avoids the Washington, DC area traffic.

Lots of RV traffic uses this route to bypass the DC area.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #12

Quote:

If your looking to make it a memorable trip, and you don't mind adding 100 miles to your trip and the fuel would not be that much of a difference, drive to cape may and take the ferry to virginai beach. A trip you will absolutely love. The cost of the ferry and 1 passenger is about 77.00 dollars and the second passenger is I believe 7.00 look it up online....your going to have to make reservations, but with a days notice, it is worth every penny for the trip.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar View Post
If your looking to make it a memorable trip, and you don't mind adding 100 miles to your trip and the fuel would not be that much of a difference, drive to cape may and take the ferry to virginai beach. A trip you will absolutely love. The cost of the ferry and 1 passenger is about 77.00 dollars and the second passenger is I believe 7.00 look it up online....your going to have to make reservations, but with a days notice, it is worth every penny for the trip.

The cost of 77.00 is for a m/h and a driver....they can take 40 footers and the toad
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote