Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #1

Best route from San Antonio to Galveston

We will be pulling our fifth wheel from San Antonio to Galveston. What is the best route there. Is taking highway 8 from I-10 to I- 45 a way to beat the Houston area traffic. (without having a lot of stop lights). Thanks for any suggestions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #2

I would go this way
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNTITLED.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	56700  

Old 02-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #3

1st remember that Beltway 8 or Sam Houston Tollway is in fact a tollway. I am not sure how much it would cost but for me the cost would not worth the hassle. You will have 3 or 4 toll booths (I have not traveled Houston in about 5 years). The traffic is slightly lighter than I-10 to 410 to 45 but unless you are in rush hour traffic you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The route the previous poster posted is scenic but between San Antonio and Victoria has a LOT of oilfield truck traffic and the roads in several places are beat up badly.

Personally I would plan my travel to hit Houston on non-rush hour traffic, go I-10 to loop 410, follow that to I-45 and go until you can't go any further.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 02-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #4

Thanks. I think I will take the I-10 to 410 to 45 suggestion.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We live 14 miles from Galveston and depart for trips and return regularly. I have an EZ-Tag that makes traveling the toll roads a better option. You can go to the EZ-Tag web site and see what the costs would be for your truck and trailer.

Both of the Loops, Beltway 8 (toll) and 610 are just that, big loops around the city and are very busy during rush hour traffic. Travel after 9 a.m. and before 3 p.m. through the Houston area and you will miss the rush hour. Expect a few delays on 45 S as it can be unpredictable especially exiting 610 loop onto 45. Congestion will also occur in the Galleria area of Hwy 59 interchange. Do not stay in the extreme right hand lane as the interchanges exit only from the right, and sometimes the 2nd right hand lane. Watch the "exit only" signs.

For a more relaxed ride you could take Highway 36S off of I-10, pick up Hwy 1462 over to Alvin, 35N to Hwy 6S (only a couple miles) and Hwy 6 merges into 45s at Bayou Vista. More stop and go but not all that bad. Slower route but more urban to see than an Interstate.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #6

I stand corrected. Lol. Yes, it's 610 loop on Houston. If you went until you found 410 you might be driving awhile!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #7

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd use the route suggested by Wayne.

Ken
Old 02-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned taking US59 out of Victoria connecting to TX6 near Sugarland. US59 is an excellent road and TX6 appears to be a road designed to keep Galveston traffic out of Houston. We've used this route several times and it works well.

I agree that the Sam Houston is a nice way around the city, but this route is free and keeps you even further away from the city center.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #10

Which route do you take from San Antonio to Victoria?
Old 02-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerl View Post
Which route do you take from San Antonio to Victoria?
I'm not as familiar with that part of the route, but US87 looks like it would work. I think all "US" highways in TX will be fine, almost all roads we've been on have been pretty good compared with many other states. And this part of the state is pretty flat so you're not going to have to worry about hill climbing!
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
San Antonio using recommended mapping (GPS) to Galveston is 247 miles. This route goes all the way to I-45 off of I-10. I45 from I-10 goes directly through downtown Houston.

Taking Loop I-610 cuts out downtown but there will be traffic in the Galleria area. Time it for non-rush hour and you'll be okay. It is 252 miles using Loop I-610. When merging off of I-610 to I-45 there will be congestion, as one lane merge into 5, and 3 lanes from I-45 merge into 5 lanes right there and everyone wants to switch lanes. If you decide this route, move to the 2nd lane from the left as soon and safely as you can and let the traffic flow around you because they will be gong a lot faster than the speed limit of 60 mph for that section, or third lane from the left if it is more comfortable with you. Using the 2nd lane from the left will avoid those areas that have the concrete barriers and 6 inches of shoulder as the right two lanes disappear into 3 lanes.

San Antonio to hwy 1462 over to Alvin to Hwy 35 to hwy 6 into Galveston is 262 miles. Only 15 miles longer but time wise will be longer because of stop-n-go. (red lights, etc.,)

San Antonio to Victoria to Galveston, 285 miles. To me this is headed in the wrong direction to begin with. First South on any road, then North on US-59, then South again to Galveston. I try to avoid these scenarios of reversing directions unless necessary.

In my personal situation when we are coming from SA to Texas City, we are on our way home and I'm ready to get there. I have EZ-TAG and use Beltway 8. That is a 252 mile route to Galveston. Same as using I-610 but has tolls. If you hve EZ-tag, it is the recommended route.

One other consideration is to exit off of I-10 on to SH-99 (The Grand Parkway). That will take you into Sugarland. Once into Sugarland it is 5 miles or so out of town with traffic lights every 100 yards, or so it seems. Very slow going and about 15 minutes or so to get out of town. Once out, it's easy going with typical red light stop and go on TX-6

Once SH-99 is completed all the way it will be 180 mile loop around Metropolitan Houston. The last time we used SH-99 into Sugarland it was not a toll.

Sorry for the very long respons, just wanted to give you some options with detail.

Oh, and for Houston traffic, if there isn't an accident and traffic is rush hour, it will take you 15 minutes longer on any route through Houston. I drove 40 miles for 6 years to work in the Houston area and i had 5+ different ways to go. Non-rush hour was 45 minutes. Rush hour was 1 hour, unless there was an accident.

Weekends are faster.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wayne and Ken, you know the roads better than I. But how about:

I-10E -> 36S -> I-69 -> 6 -> I-45

or does that get you too close to Houston???

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I would plan trip to go through Houston between 10am and 3pm
Take 10 east to dowtown Houston then 59 south for about 2 miles then 45 south to Galveston.

srx-6 is online now   Reply With Quote