Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Best route from Tucson to Gulf Shores, AL

We need suggestions as to the best (not necessarily the shortest) route from Tucson to Gulf Shores, AL. We like to do no more than 300 miles per day, and will be taking 7-10 days for the trip. I see I-10 & I-40 as alternatives. I-10 looks as though it goes through a lot of barren Country in West Texas, with few stop-over choices. But, I've never been through there before & could be mistaken.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have made that trip several times and each time we have taken I-10. Yes, there are parts that are barren, but all-in-all not that bad a ride. The biggest problem is managing the stops to find a nice one-night-stand to stay at. We do not "Wallyworld." So, my suggest would be:

Tuscon to Las Cruces, Hacienda RV Resort

Las Cruces to Fort Stockton, armpit of Texas but I hear there is a brand new, very nice, rv park there now. No trees, but this time of year it should not matter for shade.

Fort Stockton to any point short of San Antonio, or if you want to do the extra 30 or so miles past 300, Braunig Lake RV park, and ask for the premium side if there are openings. If you are a Passport America member it's worth the $25 a night for the premium side. There are others that have nice sites in the SA area but prices are a little higher without discounts.

San Antonio to 300 miles east looking for a CG, or stop around the Houston/Galveston area and explore some. We have some nice CG's South of Houston.

All of those legs are within 300 mile range or less with the exception of the Fort Stockton to San Antonio. You could always try the old Hwy-90 route but I do not know any specifics about that route anymore. It's been 30 years since I took it. It may be on our next scheduled trip as a "let's see what it's like."

I you need any specifics for my area, Houston, and metropolitan area, give a holler.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gulf Shores, AL

We made that trip last year and will do so again in January 2013. We used I-10 and stayed in Las Cruces and Fort Stockton; there is a good rv park in Fort Stockton; owners are very friendly and park is as clean as you can expect in that area. We are considering taking I-20 out of Fort Stockton this year since I-10 through LA is pretty bad and rv parks are not very good. We also just want a change of scenery. I haven't figured just how many more miles we will have to travel but aren't in a hurry and want to see something different. Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBroadaway View Post
We made that trip last year and will do so again in January 2013. We used I-10 and stayed in Las Cruces and Fort Stockton; there is a good rv park in Fort Stockton; owners are very friendly and park is as clean as you can expect in that area. We are considering taking I-20 out of Fort Stockton this year since I-10 through LA is pretty bad and rv parks are not very good. We also just want a change of scenery. I haven't figured just how many more miles we will have to travel but aren't in a hurry and want to see something different. Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.
i concur
however I20 in LA is is pretty beat up as well and you will have to dive south at jackson miss if you want o pick up I 10 near baton rouge then over to biloxi through to gulf shores
i think 55 south in miss is rough but not to bad....and I 20 and I 10 are just plain worn out, until you get to Al
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #5

Things that we have enjoyed along the "south border" ... consider visiting some of these as you make your way from Tucson to Gulf shores
  1. Big Bend National Park
  2. Carlsbad Caverns
  3. Cajon heritage sites in Lafayette,LA
  4. Restraunts serving cajon food in Lafayette, Baton Rouge, and Slidell
  5. There is a beautiful rest area with overnight camping (away from trucks ... and with security) on I-10 at about mile marker 121 in LA ... it has free coffee and a small natural history museum
  6. New and Old State Capital in Baton rouge
  7. There are two beautiful state parks not far from I-12 in Mandeville, LA

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
.....I-10 through LA is pretty bad .....
Boy, ain't that the truth! We are talking decades of REALLY bad! It is criminal how bad the Interstate is through that state. Just take it really slow, so you don't break anything.

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I-20 to Gulf Shores, AL

I haven't "studied" the route yet but a quick look tells me I can take I-20 to AL 59 south direct to Gulf Shores. Anyone travelled this route?
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
A couple of more CG's on I-10 you might want to look at are Balmorhea SP near Ft Stockton, Top of the Hill RV at Comfort, TX, Cajun Palms RV at Henderson, LA
& 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Toad
"Get It While You Can"
jwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
We are considering taking I-20 out of Fort Stockton this year.....
Just a minor point - I20 doesn't run out of Fort Stockton, just I-10. I-10 and I-20 split just east of Kent, so if you're running eastbound on I-10 out of El Paso, you'll split off on I-20 before you get to Fort Stockton. AFAIK, the closest campgrounds would be at Van Horn (west of the split - several parks available) or at Pecos (Trapark RV Park - an Escapees park) on I-20 east of the split.

If you take time to do some sightseeing (yes, there are sights worth seeing in West Texas! ), I'd recommend Davis Mountains State Park just north of Fort Davis. They have full hookups (50 amp) including cable TV.

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote