Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #1

Best route from Tucumcari NM....

UPDATED: Can someone give me the best route from Albuquerque NM to the Grand Canyon area? By best route I mean we want to avoid high mountains if possible even if the route is a little longer and less scenic. We will take I-40 to Albuquerque from Tucumcari NM TIA.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #2

Just stay on I-40 to Flagstaff and head north on 180 to 64 into the park. This is a little more scenic than 64 from Williams. They both end at the same spot.

Or, continue on I-40 to Williams and 64 north to the park.

Stay IN the park at Trailer Village for the best Canyon experience. The free shuttle stops at the campground. Have a good trip!

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Just stay on I-40 to Flagstaff and head north on 180 to 64 into the park. This is a little more scenic than 64 from Williams. They both end at the same spot.

Or, continue on I-40 to Williams and 64 north to the park.

Stay IN the park at Trailer Village for the best Canyon experience. The free shuttle stops at the campground. Have a good trip!
It looks like 180 may go through the mountains so we'll take 64 from Williams. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #4

180 doesn't go through any mountains. It's a valley. It's just nice treed scenery and meadows.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #5

Or go to the North Rim. This is a lot prettier and less crowded. You go through the Navajo Nation and pass by Chaco Canyon and Monument Valley.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
180 doesn't go through any mountains. It's a valley. It's just nice treed scenery and meadows.
Oh OK,... I think I misunderstood the map's elevation information. It's happened before. HD said we'll take 180 since (we rechecked) it's marked as a scenic route. Sorry for my misunderstanding.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Cundiff View Post
Or go to the North Rim. This is a lot prettier and less crowded. You go through the Navajo Nation and pass by Chaco Canyon and Monument Valley.
Our map doesn't show the North Rim or what road it's on. How would we get to the North Rim from 64? We have the 2013 Road Atlas. Our GPS unit isn't very helpful for things like that.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:21 PM   #8

Here's the official Grand Canyon website with detailed directions to the North Rim. Also use this site for the South Rim. It has a lot of good information.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisi...ions_n_rim.htm

Basically, from Flagstaff and I-40 you would pick up Hwy 89 north and then 89A to Jacob Lake (big hill to climb) and then 64 south.

Easier if you don't want to drive that 'big hill' is to take 89 into Page, AZ but around 89A intersection will be a detour into Page. It's a very good road and kind of parellels 89. From Page, stay on 89 west to Kanab, UT and then 89A to Jacob Lake and Hwy 64 south to the Canyon.

If you're going to be driving these western highways, I would highly recommend that you pick up the "Mountain Directory - West". It's available online. We use it all the time. It gives you mile by mile on what to expect.

http://www.mountaindirectory.com/
Old 05-05-2014, 11:49 PM   #9

Drove it many time from Flagstaff to the south rim, actually doing it on May 16th. We go on I40 to Williams, down hill to Williams, divided highway and from Williams a slight grade to the south rim. The other road from flag is only 3 miles longer but 2 lane all the way.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #10

[QUOTE=twogypsies;2039207]Here's the official Grand Canyon website with detailed directions to the North Rim..... /QUOTE]

Thanks again... this is what I needed. Unfortunately it doesn't open until May 15th. We thought it was May 1st. :(
Old 05-06-2014, 08:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonrv View Post
Drove it many time from Flagstaff to the south rim, actually doing it on May 16th. We go on I40 to Williams, down hill to Williams, divided highway and from Williams a slight grade to the south rim. The other road from flag is only 3 miles longer but 2 lane all the way.
Thanks! From Flagstaff we're going to take 180, the scenic route to 64 North... then use the help from the How Do I Travel to the North Rim ? - Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Old 05-07-2014, 04:57 AM   #12

I am headed for the North Rim in a few weeks. I had planned on using AZ 264 on my route. Does anyone have any experience with thsi highway?

Old 05-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #13

We went from Gallup through Window Rock, Chinle (Chaco Canyon), Monument Valley, Tuba City, US 89, crossed at Navajo Bridges (saw two adult and two young California Condors at 25 meters) and past Vermillion Cliffs (where we saw Condors at long range. There are decent boondocking CGs at Chaco Canyon and Monument Valley (full hookups CGS found elsewhere there). There is a good National Parks CG at Lee's Ferry. We spent three days there.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #14

Andy- I used 264 from north of Gallup west to Tuba City and the to the South Rim. One portion of the route had a very strange road surface that cause a constant vibration to my truck (2500 Dodge towing a 32 foot 5th wheel). My full size spare mounted under my truck bed fell off (cable snapped). The cable probably was either somewhat loose or perhaps just old so I am not suggesting everyone that travels that way will experience the same thing but the road surface was the strangest I have traveled on. Some of the route was scenic especially in the beginning and then there was some neat climbs that were scenic. There are few places to pull over and few services.

I would probably go that way again but my wife is far less a fan.