Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Best route from Yosemite to Las Vegas?

Hello all!
This is my first post in this forum. We are planning a trip this summer from Seattle to Yosemite, Vegas and Zion. I have most of the route figured out but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the leg from Yosemite to Vegas? We are in a 23' class C and prefer to stay off the interstate and like scenery. I was thinking about crossing Death Valley but wasn't sure if there was much to look at that way. If anyone has any "must see" or "must avoid" suggestions that would be terrific.
Thanks in advance!
Chuck

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #2

This seems like a great trip. Death Valley is really neat to visit. I know my family enjoyed our stay there. You say you like scenery so you won't be disappointed. Depending on the time of year you might consider going out of Yosemite via Tioga Pass south on 395 through Mammoth. The east Sierra Mts are beautiful. Enjoy. Good luck in Las Vegas!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the input Vesta Dave! I'm going to take your advice and trek down 395 and through Death Valley. We plan to stay at the KOA at Circus Circus. Not the nicest for a destination but it's right on the strip and we only have our RV for getting around.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Tioga pass opens anytime late May to late June so plan accordingly. This year was the latest it closed as Yosemite is just getting its first big snow now. If you want to stay at one of the campsites in the Valley, you need to get online as soon as they become available as the sites sell out in minutes.

After Tioga, we took the Rt. 120 to Rt. 6 to Rt. 95 route down to Vegas. Pretty country but very desolate.

Stayed at Circus Circus. Basically a blacktop parking lot with hookups. Very hot in the summer but there are not any options if you want to be close to everything.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubine
Thanks for the input Vesta Dave! I'm going to take your advice and trek down 395 and through Death Valley. We plan to stay at the KOA at Circus Circus. Not the nicest for a destination but it's right on the strip and we only have our RV for getting around.
You didn't say what time of year you planned to make this trip. The weather window is relatively small, The pass can be closed until late spring and the valley will get extremely hot early in the spring. I would say spring or fall may be your best choice.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #6

You can buy an all day bus pass in Las Vegas that will allow you to get on and off as often as you choose ... this will be useful if you are staying on the strip

Vegas Bus Info

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
of course # 395 and Death Valley is the route to enjoy.
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We stayed at Circus Circus back in 1993. The KOA campsite was completely booked.
The girl behind the counter took me outside and told me: If you find a spot on the parking lot next to the camp site, you can stay there too. (Dry and free).
We found a nice spot. Had a great time.
pa0gri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #9

Just checked out of the koa at circus circus. didn't feel safe there so now we are safe and sound in a hotel room ( tower room at circus circus ) for less then half the price of the koa.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why did you feel unsafe at the Circus Circus KOA? I have reservations there and we are bringing our kids (youngest being 11 years old). Was it partyers and such or ???? Thanks for the info.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #11

Trip from Seattle to Death Valley California

Death Valley is a wonderland in the spring. You will see plants in full bloom that you will never see outside of Death Valley. It is an incredible visit. Even the insects are interesting.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #12

buying a used Pinnacle

I am considering the purchase of a 1999 Pinnacle with low mileage but am worried about the fact that the company is no longer in business. What about repairs and parts? Should I really be overly concerned? I believe its a 34' model called Thor Mountain High.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #13

120 thru Tioga pass if open, to 395, to 136 on the south side of Lone Pine, around the east side of Owens Lake to 190 thru the Panamints and into Death Valley, out the south east entrance to Death Valley Junction. Here you have three choices - North on 373 thru the Armagosa Valley to 95, and then South past Mercury, Indian Springs, Mt Charleston, and into the north end of Vegas; OR, South on 127 to Shoshone, then 178 into Pahrump and then 360 into SW Vegas; OR straight ahead on Ash Meadows/Bell vista road and into Pahrump.

All kinds of interesting side trips along the way - Mono Lake, June Lake Loop, Mammoth, Devils Postpile, Hot Creek, Mountain Light gallery in Bishop, Bristlecone Pines, Eureka Dunes (rough road), Cerro Gordo (rough steep road), Old Talc Mines, Darwin, charcoal Kilns, all the DV historical sites, Tecopa Hot Springs.

Good camping on the June Lake Loop, Mammoth, Bishop, Big Pine, Boulder Creek @ Lone Pine, and dry camping everywhere.

Can't say I agree with 120 to US6. Once past the California state line this is one of the most desolate stretches of road in the US, but without all the historical stuff.

This trip can be done in one VERY long day, but three would be about optimum.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Why did you feel unsafe at the Circus Circus KOA? I have reservations there and we are bringing our kids (youngest being 11 years old). Was it partyers and such or ???? Thanks for the info.
Felt safe until two men driving a red mini van approached me in the park trying to sell there stolen jewelry. Notified management and they told me that this was not the first time these two men came in to the park. I don't blame the park because short of making it a gated park they can only do so much with security.
I don't want to scare you but I was told by a camp worker that two years ago a bunch of rental C frame motor homes were broken into. Apparently they were on nearby roofs with radios and would watch when people would leave there RV and then signal men on the ground which then were removing the back windows of these motor homes and stealing anything inside. It was a big problem for the park at the time, they had police in with a bate vehicle but never did catch the thieves.

But hey if that van with the two men didn't see me coming out of our unit at the exact time they were driving by and I did not have a conversation with staff about the incidents of two years ago, I would have nothing to report other then , the staff was very friendly and this park is in a great location to the strip.