Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #1

Best Route Maine to NC

Hi, we are looking for suggestions on a route from Bar Harbor to NC that utilizes roads in better condition (without going too far off out of the way) and misses NYC and many of the toll plazas. We are in 45 MH with a toad. Thanks for your ideas.

2013 Harley RG on a HydraLift
Mike&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #2

Not sure where in NC you are going. We just left from and returned to RI to NC and SC. Since we were going to the outer banks, we took 95 to 287 to the Tapan Zee bridge and then 287 to route 18 and the New Jersey Turnpike? I knew the NJT has a toll, but the road was in good shape. From there we crossed the Delaware Bridge (toll) and then got off on route 1 to route 13 south. We followed 13 to the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel (toll) into Virginia. The roads going this way we're smooth and relaxing to drive.

We came back up route 81 to 78 in Pennsylvania back to 287. Route 81 was all trucks but the road was OK. Route 78 felt like the surface of the moon and we had several things shake loose and were afraid of coach damage. Won't go that way again.

Bottom line for me was it was well worth the tolls to drive on smooth roads as compared to the tooth rattling off experience on route 78.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:39 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Good question......I'm doing the exact opposite in 2 months.....Raleigh to Bar Harbor.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
I agree with you about I-78. Very rough ride. Will take this route as a last resort.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:09 PM   #5
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I stay on 81 till I get to 84 and then go east from there. I agree, 78 really is not the right road for an RV.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I would take your normal way to get to I-84 and then take I-81 and if you want to go east take I-77 east to I -95. If you want to go to Asheville Area stay on I-81 to I-40. There is a new Interstate in Tn that goes right into Asheville but I forgot the number.

Have a safe trip

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Best Route Maine to NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
.....There is a new Interstate in Tn that goes right into Asheville but I forgot the number.........

That would be I-26. You'll pick it up directly off I-81 at Exit 57 in TN. Good road all the way. Pretty new. Some grade to it, but nothing outrageous.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:06 AM   #8

Has anyone ran route 80 between 287 in NJ to route 81 in PA? Wondering if that is a better alternative to route 78. I did 84 two years ago to Scranton then route 81, but the construction was horrendous. Not sure if that is finished but it used to be one of my favorite roads to drive owing to the scenery.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
I stay on 81 till I get to 84 and then go east from there. I agree, 78 really is not the right road for an RV.
That's the route I prefer as well. There's a toll crossing the Hudson (one direction only, eastbound if I remember correctly), then the road gets a little rough as you approach the CT state line, but it sure beats going through NYC, Baltimore, and DC. No matter how you plan it, you hit at least one of those at rush hour.
I WILL NOT do 301 south through MD ever again. It's all very pleasant until you get to that bridge into Virginia. Two lane traffic (one each way) on a bridge that seems to be in the stratosphere with nothing between you and the oncoming trucks but a thin yellow line of paint. White knuckle does not even begin to describe that experience.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Chris View Post
Hi, we are looking for suggestions on a route from Bar Harbor to NC that utilizes roads in better condition (without going too far off out of the way) and misses NYC and many of the toll plazas. We are in 45 MH with a toad. Thanks for your ideas.
I would go 95 to 495 to 90 to 84...then 84 to the NY/Pa line getting off exit 53 and take rt 209 down thru Milford,PA.....to Stroudsburg to I-80 to rt 33 to rt 22 to I-78 for a short distance on to I-81...best as I can get it..Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:21 AM   #11
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
That's the route I prefer as well. There's a toll crossing the Hudson (one direction only, eastbound if I remember correctly), then the road gets a little rough as you approach the CT state line, but it sure beats going through NYC, Baltimore, and DC. No matter how you plan it, you hit at least one of those at rush hour.
I WILL NOT do 301 south through MD ever again. It's all very pleasant until you get to that bridge into Virginia. Two lane traffic (one each way) on a bridge that seems to be in the stratosphere with nothing between you and the oncoming trucks but a thin yellow line of paint. White knuckle does not even begin to describe that experience.
Yea, the toll is eastbound.

I will also say there's construction right now on I-81, I know southbound but it may be northbound as well, in PA. My sister just went that way (CT->FL and back) and wanted to take the longer/scenic route down. She wasn't happy about the delay
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #12

If willing to trade a little distance for ease/comfort I would take 84 to 380 south to 80 over to 81. I live north and go down 81 and more than once I took the NE extension turnpike north of scranton down to 80 then back to 81 just for a kinder gentler drive. Longer ?? YUP Slower....depends on my foot and what I avoid on that stretch of 81 (at times I've lost as much as 45 minutes between clark summit and route 80)
Old 06-12-2016, 12:25 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
X2 .... We just came from Southern MD to NH and used these roads. Like stated, CT/MA area was rough and bumpy but the rest was quite nice. I have driven up I95 many times and this alternate route was my choice. Good luck on your trip.
W3BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:30 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post

I live near that area and cross it often enough with either the MH, van, sports car or motorcycle........ It used to bother me in the MH but I don't mind it anymore. On the motorcycle though is another story...... super scary. Drive safely!!!!!!!!!

W3BY is offline   Reply With Quote