Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:40 AM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Best Route Ocala FL to Santa Cruz CA

Best Route Ocala FL to Santa Cruz CA

We are thinking of going to Santa Cruz Ca from Ocala FL. We need to be there mid April. We have a 2000 Holiday Rambler 35 bpd with the ford v 10 towing a Jeep Wrangler 4 down. What is the best route as we have plenty of time. How are the hills in the west. I have always gotten great advice here so thanks in advance.

Kevin and Dodi Carr
2000 holiday Rambler Vacationeer 35 bpd
2010 Jeep wrangler sport towed 4 down

2006 Class A Tiffin Allegro Bus 42QDP
2010 Jeep Wrangler JK Sport
nhcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 05:05 AM   #2
I would check Google Maps or Mapquest, or route it on your GPS. We've done that trip but take different routes each time to pick up different attractions along the way. You'll do fine overall on the hills; some long uphills not a problem, but taking your time is the best way to go.

MTPockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
Last winter we trekked from So Cal to the Florida panhandle. Traveling east we took 10. West 40. Both routes have potential advantages. And issues. Our challenge last year was the wind. Get a good weather app and check it at least daily. I'd suggest the real issue confronting you aren't the grades you'll encounter, but the traffic once you hit Cal. If that is a concern, and it definitely is for me, read on. 10 has you passing through the very heavily populated areas from Redlands until north of LA - and I don't mean Lower Alabama! If you elect that route, access 210 just west of Redlands. It will add a few miles but subtract lots of traffic congestion. Even at that, time your travels between commuter traffic times.
40 will allow you to bypass the traffic issues. I'd also suggest you consider the following RV parks if they are close to your daily mileage travels. East of Kingman, Arizona, Blake Ranch is outstanding. Bakersfield has a number of great parks. Orange Grove on 58, Bakersfield RV Resort (with an excellent on site restaurant) & River Run RV, provided in the order you will encounter them, are all top notch. My next stop would be Betabel RV on 101 between Salinas & Gilroy. Once again, time your arrival in Santa Cruz between commuter hours. Use 129 to access 1 from 101.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
You can "detour" around Phoenix by taking
  • I-8 west at Casa Grande, AZ
  • then rejoin I-10 by travelling north
    • on AZ 85 at Gila Bend, AZ
    • OR
    • on CA 111 and CA 86 at El Centro, CA
Both of these routes are good for a motorhome ... I have driven both of them ...
2004 Winnebago Journey 39W - 2012 Buick Enclave
Present @home Home: Oshkosh, WI
We call our rig "Ernie the Journey"

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote